Highlands 4 Beechwood 3

at Highland Park.

Birds built a lead (3-0). Beechwood rallied to tie it in the top of the 6th. Birds pushed across a run in the bottom of the 6th to take the lead and held on to win it.

Great effort by SO Joey Cochran on the bump. 5 shutout innings with only 2 walks and several Ks. As Coach Baioni has said, the defense plays well behind a pitcher throwing strikes.

SR Mitch Meyer with a couple of 2B bombs and JR Jakes Lester and Heck with big offensive contributions. Heck also threw out a runner at the plate from RF.

In the bottom of the 6th, SO Evan Allen starts the 2 out rally with a single up the middle. Steals second. Scores on a single by FR Luke Hennigan, beating the throw to the plate.

Birds play St. Henry tonight at Highland Park and it is Senior Night. Festivities start a little after 4:00 PM with the 1st pitch at 5:00 PM.

Also, Fan / Community Appreciation Day is MON, May 14th at Highland Park against Dayton. Same schedule with festivities at 4:00 PM and 1st pitch at 5:00 PM.

Come on out for both games!!!

Disappointing. It is going to take some strong play for the Tigers to finish above .500 after this loss. Tigers need to get their act together, finish strong, hopefully have a winning a season and then try to pull an upset or two in the tournament for Beechwood.

at Highland Park.

Birds built a lead (3-0). Beechwood rallied to tie it in the top of the 6th. Birds pushed across a run in the bottom of the 6th to take the lead and held on to win it.

Great effort by SO Joey Cochran on the bump. 5 shutout innings with only 2 walks and several Ks. As Coach Baioni has said, the defense plays well behind a pitcher throwing strikes.

SR Mitch Meyer with a couple of 2B bombs and JR Jakes Lester and Heck with big offensive contributions. Heck also threw out a runner at the plate from RF.

In the bottom of the 6th, SO Evan Allen starts the 2 out rally with a single up the middle. Steals second. Scores on a single by FR Luke Hennigan, beating the throw to the plate.

Birds play St. Henry tonight at Highland Park and it is Senior Night. Festivities start a little after 4:00 PM with the 1st pitch at 5:00 PM.

Also, Fan / Community Appreciation Day is MON, May 14th at Highland Park against Dayton. Same schedule with festivities at 4:00 PM and 1st pitch at 5:00 PM.

Come on out for both games!!!

Try E6th. First baseman blocks ball and throws home late. If your giving hits on that, I have to question all your averages!

Try E6th. First baseman blocks ball and throws home late. If your giving hits on that, I have to question all your averages!

Agreed.

The play was a slow roller to short. Nice play to field cleanly - threw on the run rather than setting feet - ball in the dirt - 1st baseman not able to dig out - Allen scores from 2nd just ahead of the throw.

Easy scoring decision - E6 - with a good throw the runner would have been out by 2 steps.

Agreed.

The play was a slow roller to short. Nice play to field cleanly - threw on the run rather than setting feet - ball in the dirt - 1st baseman not able to dig out - Allen scores from 2nd just ahead of the throw.

Easy scoring decision - E6 - with a good throw the runner would have been out by 2 steps.

Wasn't there so have no idea, but was it by your standards, a routine ground ball play? If so, then E-6t.

Appreciate the correction. I was not there. In fact, I was watching the pitch by pitch on my iPhone (thanks ESPN iScore!) at a stop light. Early onset Alzheimer's when attempting to remember the sequence the next morning when I posted.

I walked in with the score notta to notta in the 4th. Highlands get the 3 in the 4th and the Beechies begin their patented comeback starting with back to back walks, a few small ball at bats and wham, 3 to 3 and nobody out. With guys on 1 and 2nd and nobody out and HHS pitcher struggling to throw strikes batter for BW takes a hack at either a 3-0 or 3-1 pitch and hits into a double play. Next guy is out and inning over leaving runner at 3rd.

Mayerhoff goes off on umpire during the double play ball contesting the runner beat the throw to first and looks silly doing it.

I think who he was really mad at was himself for not giving that kid the take sign. Absolute rally and perhaps blow out killer imo.

I was pleasantly surprised at the effort the Birds put forth despite being so young.

Highlands is (4) Jr or Srs starters in addition to some others from being a nice baseball team.

Very nice program win for the Birds.

Coach Myerhoff was arguing the obstruction call as the runner went too wide in attempt to break up the DP. Both runners were out anyway, but obstruction was the call. Whitford looked smooth & very athletic on that play BTW. Good game!