Would you or have you ever forced your child to play a sport?

theguru

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I would. At a younger age they will keep very active in sports. As they get older towards Middle school, they can begin to choose what sports/activites they wish to be involved in, and there mother will insist that they are involved in band as well........I sure hope they get their music abilities from her cause I failed at the recorder in 4th grade.

Like, say, cheerleading? :D

:lol:

My wife (a high school & college basketball player) would say that, but not me. :lol: Though I confess breathing a sigh of relief when our daughter expressed zero interest in cheerleading.

However, if she wanted to do that I wouldn't forbid it. I didn't allow Girl Scouts, for example, because our daughter is already heavily involved in two extra-curricular activities & then another school-related club--all this at 6-years-old. I'm not allowing her to make our household a taxi service for all her activities. I've seen this done with numerous other homes, where the parents' lives are totally & completely immersed in the kids & their activities. That's their prerogative to do so, but it won't be like that in our house.

Yes I would. At a younger age they will keep very active in sports. As they get older towards Middle school, they can begin to choose what sports/activites they wish to be involved in, and there mother will insist that they are involved in band as well........I sure hope they get their music abilities from her cause I failed at the recorder in 4th grade.

What if they get to be middle school age and they have no real interest in anything? Would you still force them to try something else? A sport or activity they hadn't tried yet? Or would you allow them to do nothing?

I never forced my kids to play sports. I did highly encourage them to be involved in something. My son loved, loved, loved sports...lived and breathed them...baseball, football, basketball. Before he got to high school, we NEVER had a free moment! My daughter played sports in grade school, but mainly because her friends did it. She swam for a couple of years as well, in 8th and 9th grade, but for a USSA team, not school.

In high school my son narrowed down to only one sport and my daughter dropped sports altogether. Both were involved in multiple other after-school activities and had jobs, though.

I would never force my kid to be play a sport or do anything else. I would highly encourage a general "get involved" attituded, but never to the point that I force them into anything.

What if they get to be middle school age and they have no real interest in anything? Would you still force them to try something else? A sport or activity they hadn't tried yet? Or would you allow them to do nothing?

It would depend on why they have no interest in what they were doing. Hard to sit here and say force them to continue what they have been doing, or find something new. They would absolutly NOT be allowed to do nothing. I see to many kids now that are allowed to do nothing and see what they have become and it is horiable.