Tim's Future

The only thing about Shaun's religiosity I ever discovered was late in his career when I called his brother about doing a freelance story on him for a NoKy magazine. Otherwise, it was a nonexistent factor, at least publicly. More evidence of "Tim" going out of his way to make a show of his beliefs.

If he weren't a football player afforded a monstrously huge stage, he'd be preaching fire and brimstone on the corner in New York City in bellicose tones, providing the whole carnival barker experience for the "unsaved."

Not a bad gig. There are folks in the bigger cities that do that today. I was in Chicago and this guy had a Mic and chair and on the corner he was preaching. No one listened and just ignored him, but I told my family I might try that in my later years, but I have BGPs.

Alexander was always very vocal about his faith, and still is.

I don't recall that, and never saw him up on the dais preaching like Tebow does. Not saying Shaun never did; just that I don't remember it. Given how I grew up, I would have been very attuned to any high-profile pro athlete doing the same things Tebow is now. Especially someone from 25 miles up the road from me.

Shaun has written two books, I have both and he has some interesting stories. Being a Virgin and never kissing his girlfriend who became his wife. That is something I disagree with. The non kissing of the girlfriend. Tim is also a virgin.

I heard him several times, both before & after his marriage, speak of he & his wife's abstinence until their becoming husband & wife.

I don't recall that, and never saw him up on the dais preaching like Tebow does. Not saying Shaun never did; just that I don't remember it. Given how I grew up, I would have been very attuned to any high-profile pro athlete doing the same things Tebow is now. Especially someone from 25 miles up the road from me.

I wasn't disputing what you recalled about Alexander; was just informing that I had. I specifically remember some radio interviews where he seemed to talk more about his faith than football.

]I wasn't disputing what you recalled about Alexander; was just informing that I had.[/b] I specifically remember some radio interviews where he seemed to talk more about his faith than football.

I don't doubt that -- not trying to call you out as a liar or anything. I don't do sportstalk radio, so there's one medium I'd have missed. I was also in BG during most of Shaun's HS years, so if there was some of that stuff going on during the Boone Co. times I'd have definitely missed it.

• 2 weeks later...

I recall Shaun being pretty upfront and vocal about his faith. During his high school years? I don't remember much publicity about it; then again, how much major media time was given to any high school athletes in Shaun's era?

The difference between the two: Shaun came out of Alabama as a highly regarded RB that would be able to make it in the NFL. When he did so, no surprise when he performed well as he had the athletic talent and skills to do so. Tebow came out of Florida as a QB not likely to make it in the NFL because of his mechanics. He then directs the Broncos to the playoffs in turn around fashion, and it's a surprise and big news (ie:if Tim didn't have the talent to win those games, was God responsible?). Hence more media spotlight and more opportunities to profess his faith. I think that if Shaun had been given the same media focus as Tim was, you'd have heard just as much religious stuff from Shaun as you have from Tim.