Crosses At The Site Of A Fatal Wreck

Colonels_Wear_Blue

I'm curious to hear what other people's opinions are about when people put crosses up on the side of the road next to the site of a fatal wreck. I don't want to hear so much about the use of a cross, but rather, the fact that people feel the need to put a marker on the side of the road.

The way I see it...isn't that what a gravesite is for?

Furthermore, why do people feel the need to put up seasonal

decorations on those crosses?? :rolleyes: I just don't get it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got your back CWB.

What is worse is in Florence we had a cross from a fatal accident that someone kept damaging/removing and that became a "police matter."

I look at it is if it helps the loved ones in any way I am all for it.

I got your back CWB.

What is worse is in Florence we had a cross from a fatal accident that someone kept damaging/removing and that became a "police matter."

I look at it is if it helps the loved ones in any way I am all for it.

Removing it becomes a police matter? Seems like if it's on public property, it should be subject to removal.

Frankly, the group of crosses I pass daily on 17 in Independence are an eyesore if you ask me. They have four crosses there. Two are about 5' tall and are for the two people died in the wreck, then there's about a 3 1/2 footer for the couples dog (kinda ridiculous if you ask me), and then there's a second 3 1/2 footer for who knows what purpose. They have solar landscaping lights attached to the tops of them in order to be like an "eternal flame" too. Right now they have big green and white cat-in-the-hat type St. Patricks day hats, beads, and shamrocks decorating them. I'm sure Easter will have just as gaudy decorations. It just makes me roll my eyes and shake my head every time I pass them.

I can't help but think that the constant process of returning to the site of the wreck and "caretaking" for the crosses doesn't, in a way, keep the loved ones who maintain the things from moving on...

I guess I can kind of see your "whatever helps" perspective, but man, it's sure more along the lines of obnoxious to me.

No different than the window stickers people put on their cars saying RIP so and so with their born and died dates. I absolutely hate those things. I've seen some that take up the whole back window!

Those are definitely a violation of the law.

People mourn in different ways and need attention/support at different levels. I'm not into publicly mourning, but I can see why people do it.

I don't think I'd be nearly as annoyed by it if they had some kind of guideline to how much is too much (as far as roadside memorials in the public right-of-way go), and how long they can keep their memorial there. There's a cross by my office that has been there for 2 years and is literally falling apart. ...it still gets new plastic flowers and a new teddy bear on it though.