St. Henry 8 Highlands 6 (9 innings)

Porky

KHSAA says 8 to 6

They must have just changed it. Then it was an even better game than I thought. Anyone with details? Highlands must have a pretty good hitting team because St. Henry has a couple really nice pitchers.

Can a mod correct the score on the thread?

Sounds like a great game. Wish I could have been there.

Highlands young kids were impressive. St. Henry started their second pitcher Butts and she didn't really pitch bad. HH hit some hard shots, as did St. Henry. St. Henry has lost 2 or 3 of their starting nine from last year due to transfer (to BC) and kids switching to track. They had 2-3 8th graders starting and had some fundamental catching/throwing errors. At the same time though HH looked very young... but they had some nice at bats and played very tough. HH did drop a couple balls, but St. Henry really hit some hard long balls - Butts had 2b, Salzer had a 2b & 3b, Ives HR, and Kirkwood a 3b. It was a really entertaining game.

It was a great game played by two good teams. St Henry went up 2-0 in the first then the birds tied it up over the next 3 innings. With two outs St Henry had a nice hitting clinic added by some bad fielding from the birds. St Henry took advantage of the two back to back eras by a 3 run home run then ending the inning with 4 runs up 6-6 in the 6th. The birds fought back with 3 in the 6th and 1 more in the 7th to tie up the game. great play in the 8th to get out of a jam for the lady birds. Then the birds left a runner on 3rd in the 8th. 9th inning St Henry had a nice run of fly balls and line drives to score 2.

The Kirkwood girl for St Henry made a hug catch when Hollingsowrth had a hard liner over second base that she made a heck of a catch on to end the game.

Was a lot of fun to watch this. Both team fought hard and did not give up at all. every one should be proud of there kids win or loss in this one.

Highlands young kids were impressive. St. Henry started their second pitcher Butts and she didn't really pitch bad. HH hit some hard shots, as did St. Henry. St. Henry has lost 2 or 3 of their starting nine from last year due to transfer (to BC) and kids switching to track. They had 2-3 8th graders starting and had some fundamental catching/throwing errors. At the same time though HH looked very young... but they had some nice at bats and played very tough. HH did drop a couple balls, but St. Henry really hit some hard long balls - Butts had 2b, Salzer had a 2b & 3b, Ives HR, and Kirkwood a 3b. It was a really entertaining game.

the birds are young. catcher 3rd and short are all 8th graders left center right and 2nd were all soph freshmen pitcher and 1 sr on 1st who has never played there until Monday. was a fun game to watch.

Score was 2-2 going into the top of the 4th. St.Henry scores 4 in the 5th aided by dropped fly balls and the big blow, Long ball over the fence(don't know who). Highlands fights back and scores 3 in the 6th, fights out of a bases loaded jamm in the top of the 7th, and ties the game with two out. Brooke Hollingsworth hits a laser shot down the rightfield line for a triple and comes home to tie it on a seeing-eye single down the rightfield line.

Top of the 9th St.Henry scores 2 by way of two more dropped fly balls by the Highlands outfield, and that's your ballgame.

Butts for St.Henry and the new girl from Woodford Co. for Highlands looked good, but the Highlands outfield was flatout sad.

The Kirkwood girl for St Henry made a hug catch when Hollingsowrth had a hard liner over second base that she made a heck of a catch on to end the game.

Young Miss Kirkwood is an all-timer as far as "good kids" go so it wouldn't surprise me if she gave someone a big "hug" or if she made a "huge" catch.

Young Miss Kirkwood is an all-timer as far as "good kids" go so it wouldn't surprise me if she gave someone a big "hug" or if she made a "huge" catch.

She may be a good kid but I think she really plays the game well.

Who pitched for St. Henry? can't believe Slazer gave up that many

No...as stated earlier their second pitcher Butts pitched for St. Henry. Salzer did not pitch but played 3B. She is pitching against Walton tomorrow.

I would agree with some of Lawnboy's comments, however he fails to allow for the fact that there were several very hard hit balls by St. Henry for extra bases, (besides the HR) that went along with the dropped fly balls by HH. As I said HH looked very good and should be able to hang in with any of the top 4-5 teams in the 9th region.