Is the 8th region the toughest in the state?

Is the 8th the toughest region in the state?

Depends on how you define tough....1-3 the 8th is probably comparable with the other top regions in the state..

8th: Anderson, South, Walton

9th: Boone, Ryle, NCC

7th: Manual, Sacred Heart, Louisiville Christian

11th: Lex Cath, Madison Central, Dunbar

I would say those 4 regions are VERY comparable 1-3...probably could throw the 5th in there too with Marion, Etown and somebody (not sure who the 3rd best team in that region is).

If you define it by overall depth, hard to argue with the 11th as being the deepest from that standpoint....so I think it depends, but the 8th has a 1-3 as good as several of the top regions around the state..

Depends on how you define tough....1-3 the 8th is probably comparable with the other top regions in the state..

8th: Anderson, South, Walton

9th: Boone, Ryle, NCC

7th: Manual, Sacred Heart, Louisiville Christian

11th: Lex Cath, Madison Central, Dunbar

I would say those 4 regions are VERY comparable 1-3...probably could throw the 5th in there too with Marion, Etown and somebody (not sure who the 3rd best team in that region is).

If you define it by overall depth, hard to argue with the 11th as being the deepest from that standpoint....so I think it depends, but the 8th has a 1-3 as good as several of the top regions around the state..

Just for the heck of it I went back to the Cantrall ratings (used 2-13 versus 2-20 because 2-20 broke ratings clear down to districts and the 2-13, with region breakdowns, was easier to use. Probably not a lot of change between those two anyway. Because of the difference in region sizes I looked at the top 10 teams in each, as well as the first three. This is how that turns out:

8th: Top 3 (average rating) - 79.9, Top 10 - 67.2

9th: Top 3 - 82.3, Top 10 - 70.3

7th: Top 3 - 81.9, Top 10 - 67.1

11th: Top 3 - 79.9, Top 10 - 70.7

Also threw in the 5th with second ranked Marion County helping their average as top ranked Manual does the 7th.

5th: Top 3 81.0, Top 10 - 71.6

No other region, at a fairly quick glance, had a top 3 average at where the 8th and 11th are, or looked like they could match the top 10 averages shown.

Interesting but I'm not sure it proves anything, although the 9th, with the highest average 3 and NCC close behind, looks to be the toughest at the top.

Just for the heck of it I went back to the Cantrall ratings (used 2-13 versus 2-20 because 2-20 broke ratings clear down to districts and the 2-13, with region breakdowns, was easier to use. Probably not a lot of change between those two anyway. Because of the difference in region sizes I looked at the top 10 teams in each, as well as the first three. This is how that turns out:

Also threw in the 5th with second ranked Marion County helping their average as top ranked Manual does the 7th.

No other region, at a fairly quick glance, had a top 3 average at where the 8th and 11th are, or looked like they could match the top 10 averages shown.

Interesting but I'm not sure it proves anything, although the 9th, with the highest average 3 and NCC close behind, looks to be the toughest at the top.

Thanks, Frank - that took a bit of time and effort. As has been discussed previously, the formula ratings systems are not quite the perfect science, but are overall good and interesting. I bet, however, that the Litkenhous ratings would be a bit different. Neither one is really more accurate than the other, in my opinion. The 8th has possibly never been tougher than it now is, though - it's about the same as last year, as far as being difficult to win.

Edited by retropop
typos

Thanks, Frank - that took a bit of time and effort. As has been discussed previously, the formula ratings systems are not quite the perfect science, but are overall good and interesting. I bet, however, that the Litkenhous ratings would be a bit different. Neither one is really more accurate than the other, in my opinion. The 8th has possibly never been tougher than it now is, though - it's about the same as last year, as far as being difficult to win.

No argument from me on that statement. I've followed the region pretty closely and it would seem to me that any of the top teams can beat the other on a given day. The regional tournament should be interesting to say the least.

Wow. You really did your homework, thanks for the info.

Just did the Lit Ratings for top 3 and Top 4........don't have time to do Top 10 as I'm about ready to head to NKY for the District 33 final. Here's how they look:

5th: Top 3 - 99.8, Top 4 - 96.8

7th: Top 3 - 98.8, Top 4 - 95.9

8th: Top 3 - 97.3, Top 4 - 95.1

9th: Top 3 - 99.4, Top 4 - 98.2

11th: Top 3 - 94.0, Top 4 - 91.9

Just did the Lit Ratings for top 3 and Top 4........don't have time to do Top 10 as I'm about ready to head to NKY for the District 33 final. Here's how they look:

I'd believe these rankings before I would Cantrall's. Thanks for taking the time WVFrank!

Heroic effort, Frank! Thank you. If the BGP had an award for service to the greater good of the audience, I would certainly nominate you for it. What I guy!