Santorum gets 3-state sweep.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Missouri win is meaningless, but sweeping all three is still quite a surprise. Romney is still in really good shape, but it appears Santorum is getting his shot as the "alternative flavor of the week".
At some point you will acknowledge that Romney isn't nearly as strong as you make him out to be, right?

I've never said he was a strong candidate.

Saying he's the only one that can beat President Obama is simply a fact.

It's hard to imagine he can beat President Obama when somone like Rick Santorum just beat him in a state Romney KILLED in '08 (60%).

Results like last night further show your statement is far from fact.

...also, in order to beat Obama he would most likely have to win the GOP nomination. :D

Which he will.

I've never once said he'd beat President Obama or even that it's likely he could. He would however stand a fighter's chance, which is something that can't be said about any of the other candidates.

I don't know what to make of the Santorum wins yet. Possibilities: he's just taking the place of Gingrich as the anti-Romney choice; he just plays well in these states (like Iowa) and Romney didn't crush him with ads; apathy has set in (turnout down, which usually helps Romney), but maybe his "inevitability" is hurting him, especially in more low key states (eventual nominee rarely makes it through undefeated). I think the thing to watch is Gingrich's polling in the South, if he maintains leads there super Tuesday could be interesting. If Santorum replaces him across the board this race could heat up again. I wonder where and against who Romney will spend his money going forward, as it seems he relies pretty heavily on crushing his opponents with spending.

It's hard to imagine he can beat President Obama when somone like Rick Santorum just beat him in a state Romney KILLED in '08 (60%).

Results like last night further show your statement is far from fact.

Big difference in voters in Republican primaries/caucuses and voters in the general election. Romney is not conservative enough for the Republican primary voter and that is exactly why he has the best chance of beating Obama ... but he has to find a way to win the nomination first.

Big difference in voters in Republican primaries/caucuses and voters in the general election. Romney is not conservative enough for the Republican primary voter and that is exactly why he has the best chance of beating Obama ... but he has to find a way to win the nomination first.

What are Romney's moderate positions?

In past elections, which "moderate" and establishment-backed candidates have struggled to win the GOP nod?