Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Murray State 73 Eastern Illinois 53

Featured Replies

Murray State has no trouble in beating Eastern Illinois and improves to 21-0!

 

 

Go Racers

Here's a question I have: If Murray gets beaten in the OVC Tournamnet, do they still have enough to get an at-large bid lto the NCAA? (Bring out the talk about of "strength of schedule, " look test," etc.)

Who are the top 3 teams (RPI-wise) that Murray has beaten this year? (I am curious - I honestly don't know).

Who are the top 3 teams (RPI-wise) that Murray has beaten this year? (I am curious - I honestly don't know).

I believe they have beaten Memphis.

I would say they could afford a couple losses and be fine. If Dayton wins the A-10 and Southern Miss. or Memphis wins Conference USA, that will help their case tremendously. The bracket buster game is critical.

The 3 aforementioned are their best wins. All were top 30 in last week's RPI.

I'm not a "buyer" on Murray.

I'm not a "buyer" on Murray.
In what respect?
In what respect?

 

Top 20 .

  • Author
I'm not a "buyer" on Murray.

 

Ok but then how many times have you seen them play this year? This team is for real, they play good "D" and they have outstanding shooters! If there is a weakness, it is the lack of a true big man! Will they win the NCCA Championship? Probably not but they are a good team and have beaten who is on their schedule. Remember Murray beat Vandy (SEC) two years ago in the 1st round of the Tourney and last year's OVC Morehead beat the (Big East) Louisville in the 1st round too.

 

So just because they play in the OVC don't discount them!

 

Go Racers....

 

BTW the Link is to the Murray State Racers Athletics web page

  • Author

Murray is currently 32nd in the RPI ranking but they have beaten the following teams ranked higher.

 

They beat Southern Mississippi whose RPI ranking is 11th.

They beat Memphis at Memphis whose RPI ranking is 28th.

  • Author
Here is their schedule.

 

http://goracers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

 

Dreadful.

 

You didn't answer my question Clyde! How many times have you seen Murray State play this season, or even play in person ever?

 

BTW two years ago after Murray beat Vandy, they came within two points of beating Butler, who BTW made it to the Championship Game and lost that game to Duke by, two points!

Ok but then how many times have you seen them play this year? This team is for real, they play good "D" and they have outstanding shooters! If there is a weakness, it is the lack of a true big man! Will they win the NCCA Championship? Probably not but they are a good team and have beaten who is on their schedule. Remember Murray beat Vandy (SEC) two years ago in the 1st round of the Tourney and last year's OVC Morehead beat the (Big East) Louisville in the 1st round too.

 

So just because they play in the OVC don't discount them!

 

 

I am not anti-Murray by any means, TOG, but you did make me curious, so I looked up a few things. While it's fair to say not to discount them solely because they play in the OVC, it's also fair to say not to be overly impressed with them solely because they are dominating a very weak OVC and overall schedule. Some "other" stats:

  • The top 3 RPI teams they have beaten are: Southern Miss (11), Memphis (20), and Dayton (60). Murray's current RPI (on the site I use, which is updated as of today) is 37.
  • Between 12/15 and the end of the season (not including their bracket buster game), their highest ranked opponent is Tennesse Tech (169).
  • Their overall strength of schedule is 216.
  • The OVC is the 21st ranked conference RPI (out of 33 conferences).
  • The next highest ranked team in the conference after Murray is Tenn. Tech (169).
  • Excluding Murray, their conference consists of 3 teams in the low 100's, 5 teams in the 200's, and 2 teams in the 300's.
  • The OVC has the 24th ranked strength of schedule out of 33 conferences.

Like I said, I don't root against Murray at all. I sincerely hope they are the surprise team in the tourney. But their ranking, based on the above, doesn't seem justified. They really haven't played much of a schedule.

I disagree. It's tough for any program to do what Murray is doing, regardless of the league they are playing in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.