Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Justin Verlander wins AL MVP

Featured Replies

Not sure. I think the last was Clemens.

 

And I was wrong.

I am glad to see Verlander got it. He was a beast this year. Very deserving.

One criterion is # of games played.

 

Looks like you would have to ignore that to vote for a pitcher.

One criterion is # of games played.

 

Looks like you would have to ignore that to vote for a pitcher.

 

Not necessarily. A pitcher who pitches as much as Verlander faces at least 550 batters in a season. An everyday player up for MVP has at least that many at bats in a season so while a pitcher may not be out on the field every day he still is seeing 550 at bats a season and is working harder than an everyday player during each of those at bats since he is pitching during those at bats.

Not necessarily. A pitcher who pitches as much as Verlander faces at least 550 batters in a season. An everyday player up for MVP has at least that many at bats in a season so while a pitcher may not be out on the field every day he still is seeing 550 at bats a season and is working harder than an everyday player during each of those at bats since he is pitching during those at bats.

 

Criterion said games played not # of batters faced.

Criterion said games played not # of batters faced.

 

Then the number of games shouldn't matter since a pitcher like Verlander works harder than an everyday player.

Then the number of games shouldn't matter since a pitcher like Verlander works harder than an everyday player.

 

The receiver maintaining possession all the way through the fall shouldn't matter either.

 

I'm just telling you what the rules are for the voters.

If a starting pitcher starts 30+ games I think that should meet the criteria for # of games played. It shouldn't be held against them that they don't have the chance to play in more.

The receiver maintaining possession all the way through the fall shouldn't matter either.

 

I'm just telling you what the rules are for the voters.

 

 

I know. Just saying why I believe thy ignore that criteria. Obviously it is being ignored for a reason.

  • Author
I know. Just saying why I believe thy ignore that criteria. Obviously it is being ignored for a reason.
What do you believe the original intent of the criteria is?
What do you believe the original intent of the criteria is?

 

I have no clue. I didn't know there was a games played criteria until Clizzy said so. If I had to guess it's because the voters felt like only every day players should get the MVP since the Cy Young should cover the best pitcher. My guess is they have to ignore the games played criteria like Clizzy said. I am in the camp that believes pitchers work harder than every day players.

The Red Sox September tank job opened the door for Verlander. If they had held on, my guess is that Ellsbury would have been named MVP.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.