A Dance With Dragons

5wide

Anybody got the new book yet? I saw it at Wal-Mart last night and skimmed through it a minute. I'll be getting it this weekend as a birthday gift...that's why I don't have it already.

This book finally features a more detailed map of the land across the narrow sea. I was glad to see that. I can't wait until Saturday.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

600 pages in. Plan on finishing it within the next couple of days.. I will just say it does not disappoint.

I hope to get mine tomorrow. Can't wait. After 5-6 years, it would take a terrible effort to disappoint me.

I hope to get mine tomorrow. Can't wait. After 5-6 years, it would take a terrible effort to disappoint me.

Just finished Storm of Swords last night....Pretty intense last couple of hundred pages. I can't imagine how Feast of Crows can maintain the intensity of how Storm ended...

Just finished Storm of Swords last night....Pretty intense last couple of hundred pages. I can't imagine how Feast of Crows can maintain the intensity of how Storm ended...

It doesn't. The pace slows exponentially. Also, its much harder to get into AFFC because of what Martin did splitting the books. Rather than split them chronologically, he split the characters. AFFC features a lot of new characters and doesn't feature Tyrion, Jon or Dany. A word of advice - even if you aren't into it early, force yourself to read it, because it will suck you in just like the rest. And, its not that it isn't good. Mainly that you're really wanting to know what happened to people like Jon and they aren't in the book at all. Come to terms with that, and you'll be fine. Or, you could try to read AFFC and ADWD together. That might be interesting, huh? :D

It doesn't. The pace slows exponentially. Also, its much harder to get into AFFC because of what Martin did splitting the books. Rather than split them chronologically, he split the characters. AFFC features a lot of new characters and doesn't feature Tyrion, Jon or Dany. A word of advice - even if you aren't into it early, force yourself to read it, because it will suck you in just like the rest. And, its not that it isn't good. Mainly that you're really wanting to know what happened to people like Jon and they aren't in the book at all. Come to terms with that, and you'll be fine. Or, you could try to read AFFC and ADWD together. That might be interesting, huh? :D
I really wish I never would've found out that it didn't feature Dany. I flew through the first three and I can't seem to get the motivation to start on AFFC just because I know my favorite character isn't in it.

I really wish I never would've found out that it didn't feature Dany. I flew through the first three and I can't seem to get the motivation to start on AFFC just because I know my favorite character isn't in it.

The Arya chapters are worth it.

George R. R. Martin will be doing a booksigning at Joseph-Beth in Lexington on August 2nd. It will be his only signing that is within 500 miles. We expect around 900 people to attend.

If anyone wants to have a signed copy they can buy the book at Joseph-Beth to get a line ticket. FYI.

George R. R. Martin will be doing a booksigning at Joseph-Beth in Lexington on August 2nd. It will be his only signing that is within 500 miles. We expect around 900 people to attend.

If anyone wants to have a signed copy they can buy the book at Joseph-Beth to get a line ticket. FYI.

What time is the signing?

A lot of people say AFFC isn't as good. I liked it, but it focuses on Kings Landing and Westeros.

I got my copy on Saturday and am about a quarter of the way through the new book. I'm enjoying it so far, although surprisingly I find myself really wanting to get to the "minor" characters next chapter.

Jon, Dany and Tyrion make up roughly half of the book, so I'm calling the rest "minor". Its not that I'm not interested in them or their story, but rather that they have so many chapters you know you don't have to wait long. But, when you get a Davos or a Theon chapter, you never know when the next one will roll around.

Good book thus far.

You could always read A Dance with Dragons...or at least half of it, since both books begin where ASOS left off. Or, you could just try to read ADWD and AFFC together as one big book. That would be interesting. I'd like to try that if I ever read through the books again.

I don't know. The missing characters just didn't bother me like it did other people. For one, I love the series, so I had enough confidence in the author that the story would be good regardless. I also enjoyed the new characters and looked forward to getting some POV's from different parts of the world, like Dorne and the Iron Islands, places that had always been on peripheral previously. I can understand, because you weren't automatically sucked into the story at the start of the fourth book since it didn't pick right up with what we'd been reading. When I read the prologue, I was thinking, what does this have to do with anything? :D

Of course, Arya is probably my favorite character and she was featured quite heavily in AFFC, so I enjoyed that.