Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UC 58 Georgetown 46

Featured Replies

I was listening to WLW tonight and Lance was bemoaning the lack of positive calls regarding UC and wondering why that was.

 

I've said this before. I think that the public perception of Mick is not favorable. I'm not talking about as a coach. I'm talking about his personna, his image, the vibe he puts off. Hard to explain but I've heard it from others including UC people. My guess is there are UC fans who want them to do well but they're not happy with Mick. As one caller said tonight, Mick is the fat girl that you end up with when the 2 hot girls (Huggs and AK) turn you down. OUCH!

 

With that if he's the one that comes up with the defensive schemes hats off to him.

 

You of all people are playing the "lowest common denominator" card? AK never had the chance to turn UC down after what he did to harm the program.

 

It's no secret that the fan base is split, and there are way too many still infatuated with first weekend exits. You have kept hinting at these things as UC has gone from the self imposed death penalty to relevance as the program has been rebuilt step by step.

 

Ask IU fans about Crean in year 3. One coach got his team to the middle of the pack in the best conference in the land. The other is producing year 1 results at the bottom of the Big 10 (11, 12).

 

Perception is reality, and reality is the "fans" of the UC basketball program that want Mick gone are the 18%. Or the 82% depending on your "perspective"...

  • Replies 42
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You of all people are playing the "lowest common denominator" card? AK never had the chance to turn UC down after what he did to harm the program.

 

It's no secret that the fan base is split, and there are way too many still infatuated with first weekend exits. You have kept hinting at these things as UC has gone from the self imposed death penalty to relevance as the program has been rebuilt step by step.

 

Ask IU fans about Crean in year 3. One coach got his team to the middle of the pack in the best conference in the land. The other is producing year 1 results at the bottom of the Big 10 (11, 12).

 

Perception is reality, and reality is the "fans" of the UC basketball program that want Mick gone are the 18%. Or the 82% depending on your "perspective"...

 

I'm not quite sure what the denominator quote means.

 

Are you telling me that I'm wrong about the perception of Mick? He often comes off poorly.

 

Secondly, the caller tonight who used the "fat girl" line wasn't talking about who had the "chance" to get the job. He was talking about who people wanted to get the job.

 

You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't talking about him as a coach since you brought up Crean.

 

If it's the 18% then they're the majority of people calling the shows. However, I will tell you that it's not just the 18%. Look a lot higher on the list of people who matter.

Look a lot higher on the list of people who matter.

 

I know everyone on the list. You can bank that...

I know everyone on the list. You can bank that...

 

You may "know" them but you're not having lunch with them.

 

Mick's not in trouble (if he ever was).

 

You still haven't responded to my contention that his personna isn't good. He comes across as whiny and petulant. Probably a great dude. I'm just telling you what the perception is and offering it as a possibility for why UC fans haven't jumped on board. The same results from a guy who has the same coaching ability but has charisma and comes across well has the stands filled. They're not putting an ad in the paper the day before the UL game trying to sell tickets.

You may "know" them but you're not having lunch with them.

 

You got me there. I'm not much of a "lunch" guy. Unless it's your guy from X paying. Then I'm in.

 

 

 

You still haven't responded to my contention that his personna isn't good. He comes across as whiny and petulant. Probably a great dude. I'm just telling you what the perception is and offering it as a possibility for why UC fans haven't jumped on board. The same results from a guy who has the same coaching ability but has charisma and comes across well has the stands filled. They're not putting an ad in the paper the day before the UL game trying to sell tickets.

 

So now we are comparing what Mack took over from Miller to what Mick took over from Huggs and AK? I'm telling you Mack and Mick are not much different at all in what they say to the media. One gets a pass and the other has been killed on every word. That's perception vs reality.

 

I'm telling you I know where the money stands on Mick. That talks, and Billy Bob from Fairfield that calls in to Lance to complain at the highest point is nothing but message board fodder and that walks...

So now we are comparing what Mack took over from Miller to what Mick took over from Huggs and AK? I'm telling you Mack and Mick are not much different at all in what they say to the media. One gets a pass and the other has been killed on every word. That's perception vs reality.

 

I'm telling you I know where the money stands on Mick. That talks, and Billy Bob from Fairfield that calls in to Lance to complain at the highest point is nothing but message board fodder and that walks...

 

First off, it's Mike from Fairfield.

 

I'm not sure why you are trying to read something into my posts that simply aren't there. I've REPEATEDLY said my point has nothing to do with talent that Mick assumed or has now. It's HIM and how HE comes across. I'm not saying it's fair. I'm saying it's reality. Mack doesn't enter into this argument anywhere.

 

You STILL haven't said whether you agree with others' assessment that Mick doesn't come across well in general - interviews/sidelines/the way he looks(other than his suits which are impeccable).

 

It catches my attention and I know it has caught the attention of those that you don't have lunch with. In and of itself it's not going to be an issue as far as employment goes. However, they are concerned about lack of butts in the seats.

First off, it's Mike from Fairfield.

 

I'm not sure why you are trying to read something into my posts that simply aren't there. I've REPEATEDLY said my point has nothing to do with talent that Mick assumed or has now. It's HIM and how HE comes across. I'm not saying it's fair. I'm saying it's reality. Mack doesn't enter into this argument anywhere.

 

You STILL haven't said whether you agree with others' assessment that Mick doesn't come across well in general - interviews/sidelines/the way he looks(other than his suits which are impeccable).

 

It catches my attention and I know it has caught the attention of those that you don't have lunch with. In and of itself it's not going to be an issue as far as employment goes. However, they are concerned about lack of butts in the seats.

 

I don't have a problem with 99% of what he says because it is almost always the un PC truth. It's nothing more than the people that want him to fail picking apart everything he says.

 

I do find it funny you keep mentioning "those I don't have lunch with" like you are out dining with Mike Thomas or Steve Boymel...

Mick is fantastic. Loved him at Louisville, think he's doing a great job in Cincy. From where I sit, Cronin not only has a lot of respect, he deserves it. When Pitino's time is up, if Louisville were to lure Cronin down the river I'd welcome that hire.

 

As far Crean and IU (and that was an excellent point, GT) my heart just breeeaaaaaks for him. No, really, honest. Hope he mans-up and schedules Louisville soon; plenty of us still remember his insistence that Myles was faking his knee injury. He'd get a warm welcome at the Yum!.

I don't have a problem with 99% of what he says because it is almost always the un PC truth. It's nothing more than the people that want him to fail picking apart everything he says.

 

I do find it funny you keep mentioning "those I don't have lunch with" like you are out dining with Mike Thomas or Steve Boymel...

 

You keep missing the point. It's not just his words. Heck, it's usually NOT his words. I can't stress enough that it's the persona that dooms him overall.

 

You can choose to believe about the higher ups or not.

You can choose to believe about the higher ups or not.

 

Ditto...

Ditto...

 

Ditto doesn't seem to fit here. I've never said you didn't talk to someone.

 

Help was offered/suggested. He passed. I probably would have as well but the fact that it was offered says a lot.

Ditto doesn't seem to fit here. I've never said you didn't talk to someone.

 

Help was offered/suggested. He passed. I probably would have as well but the fact that it was offered says a lot.

 

He is who he is and that isn't going to change regardless of how some think he comes off. Jim Boeheim is the same way, but he has won at a high level for a long time so it is overlooked. Funny thing is he had the same type of sentiment at Cuse all the way up until he won a title. A lot of people hated how Huggs came off in interviews, but he won. If they can continue the upward trend the stands will fill and there will be a lot less made of what the coach says and how he says it in interviews...

He is who he is ...

 

Now we agree.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.