Two things about the Holmes job

85BearsFan

1. It's safe to say that the assistants are not really appealing or applying for that matter, or else the hire would have been made by now if any of them were worthy.

2. Is Holmes one of those jobs that needs a minority coach to be a worthwhile team? Look at Central in Louisville. A perennial power in Class 3A. I know Holmes is 5A again and have to get through Highlands and CovCath, but they can't even lose respectably (if even possible) Does Holmes have a worthy minority candidate either on staff or that has applied from outside the district.

1. It's safe to say that the assistants are not really appealing or applying for that matter, or else the hire would have been made by now if any of them were worthy.

2. Is Holmes one of those jobs that needs a minority coach to be a worthwhile team? Look at Central in Louisville. A perennial power in Class 3A. I know Holmes is 5A again and have to get through Highlands and CovCath, but they can't even lose respectably (if even possible) Does Holmes have a worthy minority candidate either on staff or that has applied from outside the district.

Ben Nevels should be the Coach I think he could beat CovCath and Highlands if they made him the Coach!

Why him? What's so special about him? Never met the guy, but I saw his name in another thread when the job opened.

He was a good football player played LB for SK and played LB in college plus from what I have heard the players love him as a coach.

1. How many assistants left and went with Lickert? How many of them stayed? Do any of them posess the kind of attributes that the Covington Independant School system would want in a head coach? One of the requirements is to be able to work within the athletic department. Maybe ther is no quality candidate at Holmes, heck when they hired a basketball coach the went to Shelby Valley and found him. And to my knowledge he isnt the first person from out of the area to get a job at Holmes.

2. I do not think that you have to be a minority to coach at Holmes. Lickert is not a minority and Dave Tropsper was not either. An understanding of the school and the student body is more important than being a minority.

Overall I think that the powers that be will make a very educated choice in whom ever they choose. The two previous coaches had some college background, both played on succesful college teams. Both were local guys from established local powers (Lickert from Highlands and Trosper from Boone County) I really feel that when Holmes does name a new coach the people will be happy with who it is because they have taken their time and will get the person that they want.

He was a good football player played LB for SK and played LB in college plus from what I have heard the players love him as a coach.

I know nothing about him and he may be a good coach, however being a good player does not always equal a good coach

Nevels is a motivational kind of guy. A players coach. He has the respect of many around here as a player and a coach, if he is interested in the HC position I'm sure he has had the opportunity to interview or will get the opportunity. If he has, then Madrick is waiting to announce or didn't feel he was going to be the right guy just yet. Ben will get his chance eventually, he is a hard working guy that knows football. With that being said Madrick will hire the best candidate he can find, no matter who it is. He knows how to find good coaches that fit into the Holmes system. Trust me I know first hand I played for Holmes.

You do not have to be a minority coach to be successful at Holmes. Look at John Vandermeer. His top staff was Mike Farley, Ken Dearborn, and Casey Sparrow. Look at David Henley and the Sparrows that ran the girls basketball program. THe kids just have to believe in you like they did those coaches. They went above an beyond for many of their players. You need a coach the kids can believe in! MADRICK WILL MAKE A TOP HIRE YOU CAN COUNT ON IT!!!! BEST AD IN THE STATE!