Buy or Sell: Pike County Central

The Scribe

Pike County Central is ranked #9 in this week's BGP Class 3A Rankings.

PCC is 3-0, with two wins against less-than-stellar Phelps and Shelby Valley.

They also beat a bad Boyd County team by 50.

Last year, PCC shocked Mason County in the second round of the playoffs and took Sheldon Clark to the wire before losing by two scores in the region title game.

They could very well be 5-0 heading into their district opener with Belfry.

Any chance they can beat either Belfry or Sheldon Clark to get a first round postseason home game?

PCC is on the rise, they are building a nice program and will get better. They played with Belfry last year and some think the Pirates were lucky to get out of there with a 10 point win. They improved dramatically over the season last year and finished the year as a very solid club in 3A. Their confidence is building and right now I think they take the field expecting to win. If John Chapman stays there, they will be contenders.

Short term, they will win more than they lose, but for a long term investment the future is bright. Definitely, BUY.

I will definatley buy into this. Everyone in Breathitt County knows of John Chapman's ability's to coach at a high level. Every title we have won has been with him running our defense. Fact is some will even say that he is more of the reason than even Holcomb. There is some good talent over in the Pike county area and he runs an exciting style of ball. I look for great things out of them as long as he is there coach

2C, is Belfry still the favorite in the district or do you think Pike County Central is level with them?
I think Belfry is still the safe pick, but PCC and Sheldon Clark both have a very good shot at it. Belfry will have to perform at a high level to beat either of them.

PCC is keeping their athletes at home now instead of seeing them go to Belfry or Pikeville or even Shelby Valley. Plus they have attracted some kids from outside Pike County because of all the excitement surrounding that program. I hear there are more of the athletes coming out for football that used to roam the halls in the fall too. All of this combines for a better talent pool, and when you add in the change in attitude, community support and general excitement, Pike County Central is a cool place to be associated with right now. With the good coaching they have, given some post season success similar to last year and IMO they will begin to build a program there instead of just fielding a football team.

It is a good thing for Pike County, and a good thing for eastern KY football as a whole.

I think Pike County Central has come a LONG way since Chapman has shown up, but I still think that Pike Central is a little behind Sheldon Clark and Belfry right now. After watching all 3 teams play more than once (mostly on film) I think SC is a little ahead of Belfry who is a little ahead of Pike Central. It is hard to compare teams on film when they are not playing equally talented opponets, but that is the way I see it. I can see all 3 of these teams splitting the regular season and making for a mess come playoff time, or I can see any 1 team taking all the matchups. It will be a very exciting year for AAA Region 4 with Sheldon Clark, Mason County, Belfry, and Pike County Central all in the hunt I can tell you that.