Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dixie 7 Conner 5

Featured Replies

Good call at 2nd. The fielder was off the base.

 

I have to disagree with you on that call Clyde, although it may have been close that call is not made, no way! Shadowing the foot across the bag is common practice and is textbook! The ball beat the runner,the throw was on target, this technique is called an out 100% of the time and was another horrible call in a key situation! Great game by Dixie and Conner, ultimately the three run bomb was the dagger that decided the outcome, but I have to say a couple of these umpires don't deserve to be at either district or regional tournaments! Honestly I have seen more blown calls this year in key situations than I care to remember! Debating balls and strikes is always an issue and changes from umpire to umpire, I get that, but incompetance in big game situations is ridiculous!

I have to disagree with you on that call Clyde, although it may have been close that call is not made, no way! Shadowing the foot across the bag is common practice and is textbook! The ball beat the runner,the throw was on target, this technique is called an out 100% of the time and was another horrible call in a key situation! !

 

My aging memory tells me it wasnt that close. It wasnt a case of shadowing the foot. The throw was wide and pulled him off. Maybe PANDA has a shot of the sequence.

I don't, but it was far more than a shadowing of second, a good call by the umpire as I was watching this play with my camera in my lap.

Congratulations to Dixie! Now bring home the 9th region championship today!

What controversial call are you refering to?

 

While it wasn't argued I am referring to the call at first base where the runner was out by a step but yet still called safe. I don't know which particular batter it was but he was out.

 

I have to disagree with you on that call Clyde, although it may have been close that call is not made, no way! Shadowing the foot across the bag is common practice and is textbook! The ball beat the runner,the throw was on target, this technique is called an out 100% of the time and was another horrible call in a key situation! Great game by Dixie and Conner, ultimately the three run bomb was the dagger that decided the outcome, but I have to say a couple of these umpires don't deserve to be at either district or regional tournaments! Honestly I have seen more blown calls this year in key situations than I care to remember! Debating balls and strikes is always an issue and changes from umpire to umpire, I get that, but incompetance in big game situations is ridiculous!

 

That was not a shadowing call. And while the ball did beat the runner, the throw was not near being on target. If so then the shortstop would not have been going towards the back part of the infield to catch the ball.

This is the play at first you are referring to but I don't have anything closer to the bag.

 

IMG_1654.jpg

Good call at 2nd. The fielder was off the base.

 

Clyde, wouldn't that be an error on the 2nd baseman since the throw was wide?

I have to disagree with you on that call Clyde, although it may have been close that call is not made, no way! Shadowing the foot across the bag is common practice and is textbook! The ball beat the runner,the throw was on target, this technique is called an out 100% of the time and was another horrible call in a key situation! Great game by Dixie and Conner, ultimately the three run bomb was the dagger that decided the outcome, but I have to say a couple of these umpires don't deserve to be at either district or regional tournaments! Honestly I have seen more blown calls this year in key situations than I care to remember! Debating balls and strikes is always an issue and changes from umpire to umpire, I get that, but incompetance in big game situations is ridiculous!

 

I'm not sure what game you were watching or what rulebook you're referencing but... the throw was definintely off target neccesitating the SS to pull his foot. I was sitting on the 1st base side of the field and it was obvious. BTW, I've never seen a reference to "shadowing" either, what is this, could you explain where a runner is out if the bag isn't touched?

This is the play at first you are referring to but I don't have anything closer to the bag.

 

[ATTACH]32027[/ATTACH]

 

This photo proves nothing other than its a close play!

I'm not sure what game you were watching or what rulebook you're referencing but... the throw was definintely off target neccesitating the SS to pull his foot. I was sitting on the 1st base side of the field and it was obvious. BTW, I've never seen a reference to "shadowing" either, what is this, could you explain where a runner is out if the bag isn't touched?

Not that I owe you a explanation, but I never said it was in the rule book! Its taught by people far more qualified than you to drag your foot across the bag on a 4,6,3 double play, if possible! It assures momentum towards first base and also lessens the chance of injury between the runner and infielder! In most cases the umpire allows this practice to occur because of those reasons! You can watch it happen time and time again in a pro baseball game! You can't expect a fielder to come to a complete stop and stomp on the bag, just so stud fans like you can be convinced that the runner is out! PEACE OUT!

I didn't realize high school and major league baseball are one in the same. I apologize. I should have also realized that text book isn't the same as rule book. My mistake.

Clyde, wouldn't that be an error on the 2nd baseman since the throw was wide?

 

I've already forgotten the play. However, if the throw was wide and pulled the SS off of the base then , yes, that would be an error if the official scorer felt the runner would have been out with a good throw.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.