April 23, 201016 yr Author Just out of curiosity, how did you all become fans of Duke? I mean are you from NC? Went there to school? Just always have been? A family thing? Like the program? If you are from Kentucky, how did this happen? During the 1998 season I was about 8 at the time... I had been playing Y leagues but I wasn't fully into basketball much at the time being, this is the year I can remember first watching many college basketball games. Of course my dad is a big UK fan and we often liked to disagree on things. We all know how the Duke vs. UK game went in 1998. During that time, I was first told about everything with Laettner and the shot. As I was watching that regional final game I really enjoyed watching Roshown McLeod, Trajan Langdon, Elton Brand, Chris Carrawell play. That game sparked my interest in Duke and it just kept on growing. I can remember the double OT game a few years after (don't know exact season) and me and my dad went at it back and forth all game. When I got older and more involved in AAU and competitive basketball, I proposed the idea of going to a Duke Basketball camp one summer. I believe the year was 02' that I first went. I ended up going three straight years and in 04' I got an autograph ball with every player on the team and the coaches, I still keep it in my room till this day. Of course that was the year they made it to the Final Four before losing to UConn. They had Luol Deng, J.J., Daniel Ewing, Shelden, Duhon, Dockery and Randolph. Funny story, Nick Horvath was my camp teams' coach and we were playing in my age groups championship game on the last day. We were down 10 with 2 and a half minutes to go... I ended up hitting 4 straight threes and we won the game off free throws at the end. Horvath went to Chris Collins and said sign him right here, right now. I actually got a letter from them the following year to specifically invited me back to the camp (didn't get one the previous two years), although some family issues came up and I wasn't able to go. Unfortunately I was 5'9 at the time and I'm at about the exact same height to this day so that ended all hopes of a basketball career.:lol: That's my short sample of why I've become a Duke fan...
April 23, 201016 yr This will help Duke out. They will be a better defensive team next year IMO with athletes like Smith and Irving in the backcourt. Duke's biggest question mark will be inside with the Plumlees. Zoubek really became a beast and they had great depth last year. Who will back up the brothers?
April 23, 201016 yr This will help Duke out. They will be a better defensive team next year IMO with athletes like Smith and Irving in the backcourt. Duke's biggest question mark will be inside with the Plumlees. Zoubek really became a beast and they had great depth last year. Who will back up the brothers? Josh Hairston and Ryan Kelly. Next year's team will have a completely different makeup. Coach K has won without backups for his big men. The fact that he had back ups this year and next is a luxury. If Miles Plumlee continues to develop and of Mason can develop as much as Miles did after his freshman year then all Hairston and Kelly will be needed for is foul trouble or an injury. If Duke gets production from either one then they will be even better than I expect them to be.
April 23, 201016 yr Author This will help Duke out. They will be a better defensive team next year IMO with athletes like Smith and Irving in the backcourt. Duke's biggest question mark will be inside with the Plumlees. Zoubek really became a beast and they had great depth last year. Who will back up the brothers? I think you will see a three man rotation between the brothers and Hairston. You will also probably see more of a 4 out offense next season with Singler playing the 4 and Irving, Smith, and Curry rounding out the guards. K always plays to his strengths, and they will have plenty of that next year.
April 24, 201016 yr Those saying that they will be the favorite to repeat must be counting on the NCAA to give them another easy walk in the tournament. Just to re-visit yet one more time.... I don't really care what the seedings were, let's look at the RPI's of the teams they beat Ark Pine Bluff - 183 California - 20 Purdue - 16 Baylor - 9 (ROAD GAME) WVU - 4 Butler - 12 (ROAD GAME)
April 24, 201016 yr During the 1998 season I was about 8 at the time... I had been playing Y leagues but I wasn't fully into basketball much at the time being, this is the year I can remember first watching many college basketball games. Of course my dad is a big UK fan and we often liked to disagree on things. We all know how the Duke vs. UK game went in 1998. During that time, I was first told about everything with Laettner and the shot. As I was watching that regional final game I really enjoyed watching Roshown McLeod, Trajan Langdon, Elton Brand, Chris Carrawell play. That game sparked my interest in Duke and it just kept on growing. I can remember the double OT game a few years after (don't know exact season) and me and my dad went at it back and forth all game. When I got older and more involved in AAU and competitive basketball, I proposed the idea of going to a Duke Basketball camp one summer. I believe the year was 02' that I first went. I ended up going three straight years and in 04' I got an autograph ball with every player on the team and the coaches, I still keep it in my room till this day. Of course that was the year they made it to the Final Four before losing to UConn. They had Luol Deng, J.J., Daniel Ewing, Shelden, Duhon, Dockery and Randolph. Funny story, Nick Horvath was my camp teams' coach and we were playing in my age groups championship game on the last day. We were down 10 with 2 and a half minutes to go... I ended up hitting 4 straight threes and we won the game off free throws at the end. Horvath went to Chris Collins and said sign him right here, right now. I actually got a letter from them the following year to specifically invited me back to the camp (didn't get one the previous two years), although some family issues came up and I wasn't able to go. Unfortunately I was 5'9 at the time and I'm at about the exact same height to this day so that ended all hopes of a basketball career.:lol: That's my short sample of why I've become a Duke fan... Good story.
April 25, 201016 yr how do you all feel about getting Doc Rivers son? I think he is interested in Duke
April 25, 201016 yr Author how do you all feel about getting Doc Rivers son? I think he is interested in Duke It'd be a monster get...
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.