Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 5 Boone County 3

Featured Replies

  • Author
Siemer had one of the best bunts I've ever seen today, great win for the Colonels.

 

That was, indeed, a great bunt.

 

Give credit as well to Warning. Squeeze play on and he had a ball on his shoe strings and got it downt he line.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are the best bunting team in NKY....However I personally picked up on when they were going to bunt and it has nothing to do with signs.

  • Author
They are the best bunting team in NKY....However I personally picked up on when they were going to bunt and it has nothing to do with signs.

 

You mean when there's a runner on 3rd?:laugh:

You mean when there's a runner on 3rd?:laugh:

 

That is a sure sign the squeeze is coming!! :D I know I am going to get attacked for saying this, but that is one of the things I would like to see coach change, which I know he will never do. Yes there are times that bunting a strong tactical move in a game, but I also think that it is a sign of lack of confidence in being able to get a hit, or drive in a run with a sac fly. I mean as kids, I remember a bunt being what you did when you couldn't hit a pitcher, and in my playing days, when kids bunting we practically made fun of them. I know Krumps has won a gazillion games bunting the ball, but I wonder if in any way shape or form his passion for having the guys bunt, has hurt anyone's chances at playing at the next level. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but I figured what the heck, throw it out there and see if one person may agree.

  • Author
That is a sure sign the squeeze is coming!! :D I know I am going to get attacked for saying this, but that is one of the things I would like to see coach change, which I know he will never do. Yes there are times that bunting a strong tactical move in a game, but I also think that it is a sign of lack of confidence in being able to get a hit, or drive in a run with a sac fly. I mean as kids, I remember a bunt being what you did when you couldn't hit a pitcher, and in my playing days, when kids bunting we practically made fun of them. I know Krumps has won a gazillion games bunting the ball, but I wonder if in any way shape or form his passion for having the guys bunt, has hurt anyone's chances at playing at the next level. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but I figured what the heck, throw it out there and see if one person may agree.

 

While I might agree with your generalization with other coaches I think Krumps does it because he thinks most teams simply do not play the bunt very well. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I guess I understand and accept that, I guess I do not understand though how in the world other teams do not play it well against Krumps. I mean, the coachs have to know Krumps style by now and you would certainly think they would practice fielding a bunt before playing the colonels.

As to defending the bunt versus CCH, do opposing pitchers always go from the stretch with runners on third? Do opposing pitchers do a lot of moves to third out of their motion to uncover if the squeeze is on? Do opposing pitchers pitch out much with runners on third? The fact is, if you execute the squeeze well, it is impossible to stop. But the element of surprise is usually important and there should never be a surprise when CCH does it. So then it becomes a game of cat and mouse and Krumps knows how to keep from getting caught.

You mean when there's a runner on 3rd?:laugh:

Nope... but the odds do go up that's for sure. I'm sure teams will eventually pick up on it.

  • Author
As to defending the bunt versus CCH, do opposing pitchers always go from the stretch with runners on third? Do opposing pitchers do a lot of moves to third out of their motion to uncover if the squeeze is on? Do opposing pitchers pitch out much with runners on third? The fact is, if you execute the squeeze well, it is impossible to stop. But the element of surprise is usually important and there should never be a surprise when CCH does it. So then it becomes a game of cat and mouse and Krumps knows how to keep from getting caught.

 

TOG has seen more games than I but I'll answer from what I've seen.

 

Yes, the pitchers are in the stretch.

 

No, there haven't been any pitchouts in the games I've seen.

 

No looks or moves to 3rd base.

That is a sure sign the squeeze is coming!! :D I know I am going to get attacked for saying this, but that is one of the things I would like to see coach change, which I know he will never do. Yes there are times that bunting a strong tactical move in a game, but I also think that it is a sign of lack of confidence in being able to get a hit, or drive in a run with a sac fly. I mean as kids, I remember a bunt being what you did when you couldn't hit a pitcher, and in my playing days, when kids bunting we practically made fun of them. I know Krumps has won a gazillion games bunting the ball, but I wonder if in any way shape or form his passion for having the guys bunt, has hurt anyone's chances at playing at the next level. Maybe I am the only one who feels this way, but I figured what the heck, throw it out there and see if one person may agree.

 

KL most kids get college scholarships on their performances doing the summer league games. Reason? College coaches are playing games during the HS baseball season and really don't want to see how a (example only) Isler throws against a HS team but against quality summer teams. Sure they come around during the season to see the kids play but honestly come to a summer league game where you will really see the scouts pro and college come around!

Nope... but the odds do go up that's for sure. I'm sure teams will eventually pick up on it.

 

:sssh:

I guess I understand and accept that, I guess I do not understand though how in the world other teams do not play it well against Krumps. I mean, the coachs have to know Krumps style by now and you would certainly think they would practice fielding a bunt before playing the colonels.

 

Guess what KL, CovCath with all the hitters they had last year, bunted too. They beat Franklin County on a squeeze play to end the game and remember it takes a lot of correct playing by fielders to get a runner out.

 

The squeeze bunt, if it is bunted correctly, is hit towards the third baseman, who is charging in on the ball. He must first field the ball cleanly (muff it and all the runners are safe) he must make a instant decision to either go home or first, be a little unsure of where to go and everybody is safe. If all the above is done correctly, then the fielder must make a good throw (easier said than done while doing all of the above) and then the player he throws it to, must catch it and then either tag the runner out or catch the ball and tag the plate.

 

Remember these are HS kids and not season pros, they don't make the plays all the time.

KL most kids get college scholarships on their performances doing the summer league games. Reason? College coaches are playing games during the HS baseball season and really don't want to see how a (example only) Isler throws against a HS team but against quality summer teams. Sure they come around during the season to see the kids play but honestly come to a summer league game where you will really see the scouts pro and college come around!

 

I understand that, but if the best play is during the summer games, then I think it makes my point even more valid. Why not have these guys hit away against the lesser high school competition as you put it? Sounds like learning to be a great bunter in a high school game may win games, but does nothing for helping the guys be ready for the next level then. I would certainly think that if a young man has confidence in his hitting ability from his high school play it would help them on the summer circuit.

Guess what KL, CovCath with all the hitters they had last year, bunted too. They beat Franklin County on a squeeze play to end the game and remember it takes a lot of correct playing by fielders to get a runner out.

 

The squeeze bunt, if it is bunted correctly, is hit towards the third baseman, who is charging in on the ball. He must first field the ball cleanly (muff it and all the runners are safe) he must make a instant decision to either go home or first, be a little unsure of where to go and everybody is safe. If all the above is done correctly, then the fielder must make a good throw (easier said than done while doing all of the above) and then the player he throws it to, must catch it and then either tag the runner out or catch the ball and tag the plate.

 

Remember these are HS kids and not season pros, they don't make the plays all the time.

 

Thanks for educating me on baseball basics! :thumb:

 

I do recall the Franklin County game. Sounds to me though that you are convinced that the guys could not hit the ball and score runs, the only way for them to get the guy in from 3rd is via a squeeze. Me, I do not believe that.

I understand that, but if the best play is during the summer games, then I think it makes my point even more valid. Why not have these guys hit away against the lesser high school competition as you put it? Sounds like learning to be a great bunter in a high school game may win games, but does nothing for helping the guys be ready for the next level then. I would certainly think that if a young man has confidence in his hitting ability from his high school play it would help them on the summer circuit.

 

What???? A high school coach owes nothing to a kids summer team or to his next level that he may play, The coaches job is to win games. Period. IT'S NOT ABOUT AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYER. IT'S ABOUT THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM AND THE UNIFORM HE REPRESENTS.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.