Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 5 Boone County 3

Featured Replies

What???? A high school coach owes nothing to a kids summer team or to his next level that he may play, The coaches job is to win games. Period. IT'S NOT ABOUT AN INDIVIDUAL PLAYER. IT'S ABOUT THE HIGH SCHOOL TEAM AND THE UNIFORM HE REPRESENTS.

 

So in your opinion it is not part of a high school coach's responsibility to help develop a player to make that player more ready to play at the next level? Is it part of that coach's responsibility to help that young man mature and become a better man? Sounds like you disagree with these statements. If so, I respectfully dis-agree with you. There is much more IMO to what a good coach should do than just wins and losses.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in your opinion it is not part of a high school coach's responsibility to help develop a player to make that player more ready to play at the next level? Is it part of that coach's responsibility to help that young man mature and become a better man? Sounds like you disagree with these statements. If so, I respectfully dis-agree with you. There is much more IMO to what a good coach should do than just wins and losses.

 

First off, 95% or more of the players won't play at the next level. You can certainly help an individual kid who has a chance to go further than high school but you do that in practice or before a game by taking extra bp, ground balls,etc... You do not put that kid/s above the team in a game situation by not bunting him or whatever as you mentioned in your earlier thread. If the situation calls for the young man to give himself up by moving runners over by bunt or hitting behind runners for the good of the team, then that is what should be done. I'll guarantee you that there isn't a high school coach who gives a hoot about getting his player ready for summer ball though!!

 

As for helping a young person become a better person or man, I feel that is the most important job a coach has. Unfortunately, that only gets a coach so far if he isn't winning games. That's why wins and loses are so important because there are a lot of "fans" out there who love to talk of replacing coaches.

So you changed your tune from your earlier post. You said the coach's job was to win games only. You softened it which I was wondering if you would. I would never expect a coach to put one young man above the good of the team, and did not say that I think they should. All I said is that I feel it is part of the job a coach has, to develop his players so they can play at the next level? You do not think a coach cares how many of his kids rec'd scholarships, or were drafted? You do not think they put that on their resume? Yea, winning percentage is huge, but it is not the only measuring stick for a good coach IMO

Thanks for educating me on baseball basics! :thumb:

 

I do recall the Franklin County game. Sounds to me though that you are convinced that the guys could not hit the ball and score runs, the only way for them to get the guy in from 3rd is via a squeeze. Me, I do not believe that.

 

Just curious KL but did you look at the Cooper recap of the game?

Just curious KL but did you look at the Cooper recap of the game?

 

yep

So you changed your tune from your earlier post. You said the coach's job was to win games only. You softened it which I was wondering if you would. I would never expect a coach to put one young man above the good of the team, and did not say that I think they should. All I said is that I feel it is part of the job a coach has, to develop his players so they can play at the next level? You do not think a coach cares how many of his kids rec'd scholarships, or were drafted? You do not think they put that on their resume? Yea, winning percentage is huge, but it is not the only measuring stick for a good coach IMO

 

That's not what I said. I said his job is to win games, period, for the high school he is being PAID by. You can coach whatever style of ball you like, be a great or lousy mentor, involve fans, alumni, parents or go it alone, do whatever you choose but you better win especially at places like PRP, Harrison, CCH, LexCath, etc... Other wise you can kiss your resume goodbye!!

 

Sure every coach likes to have players move on to the next level but the next level you mentioned in your original post was a players summer team and my biggest point was that most high school coaches don't care about a kids summer team. I think we both want coaches to do as much as they can to help a young man in any areas they need assistance but I thnk we have differing ideas about how important it is to help the kid with his summer team or the next level. A coaches main focus, IMO, should be to help a young man with life's lessons and to win games. Just my two cents.

That's not what I said. I said his job is to win games, period, for the high school he is being PAID by. You can coach whatever style of ball you like, be a great or lousy mentor, involve fans, alumni, parents or go it alone, do whatever you choose but you better win especially at places like PRP, Harrison, CCH, LexCath, etc... Other wise you can kiss your resume goodbye!!

 

Sure every coach likes to have players move on to the next level but the next level you mentioned in your original post was a players summer team and my biggest point was that most high school coaches don't care about a kids summer team. I think we both want coaches to do as much as they can to help a young man in any areas they need assistance but I thnk we have differing ideas about how important it is to help the kid with his summer team or the next level. A coaches main focus, IMO, should be to help a young man with life's lessons and to win games. Just my two cents.

 

 

Maybe that is where the disconnect is, I did not mention summer league as next level. I was discussing next level (college, pro, etc) and TOG stated that guys get to the next level more based on summer league than High School games. I do not consider summer ball to be next level for high school kids.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.