Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AAU coaching question

Featured Replies

Can a high school coach/volunter coach that sat on the varsity bench coach some freshman players who seen varsity playing time?

I believe that is a no-no. Especially for kids that are currently in grades 9-12.If you are on the staff you should stay in the stands until school is out.

That is an absolute no-no. If you coached during the season the most you can do from March till June is hold open gym or conditioning workouts.

That is an absolute no-no. If you coached during the season the most you can do from March till June is hold open gym or conditioning workouts.

 

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but then how does the Simon Kenton assistant coach for the Shining Stars (DSAS) team all summer (starting in April)?

Do you mean ... if you coached a kid in your program? Because from other things I have read on here some high school coaches also coach summer AAU.

Do you mean ... if you coached a kid in your program? Because from other things I have read on here some high school coaches also coach summer AAU.

 

High school coach can not coach kids in there own program after the season. They may coach middle school kids in their program as middle school kids do not fall under the KHSAA rules.

 

If this assistant coach at Simon Kenton is coaching a 9-12 grade kid that is in his own program, it is my understanding that it would be a major rules violation.

To follow that up.....I dont understand why a hs coach would coach kids outside his/her own program? You would be developing kids for someone else. I have a few AAU coaches that I know personally and funnel my players to those coaches. Those coaches only coach during AAU season.

High school coach can not coach kids in there own program after the season. They may coach middle school kids in their program as middle school kids do not fall under the KHSAA rules.

 

If this assistant coach at Simon Kenton is coaching a 9-12 grade kid that is in his own program, it is my understanding that it would be a major rules violation.

 

What is the penalty? I didn't see anything on this in the KHSAA handbook.

 

What if one of kids this guy is coaching (and I am not saying this is happening. I am just wondering) transfers to Simon Kenton and plays there next year. Is this a violation of rules?

I dont have the KHSAA handbook with me at the house, but I'm positive its a rules violation.

 

As for the penalty......KHSAA probably will never find out and the penalty will amount to a slap on the wrist for that coach. He'll get a nasty letter in the mail or even worse a phone call telling him never to do it again.

What is the penalty? I didn't see anything on this in the KHSAA handbook.

 

What if one of kids this guy is coaching (and I am not saying this is happening. I am just wondering) transfers to Simon Kenton and plays there next year. Is this a violation of rules?[/QUOTE]

 

I dont think its a rules violation, but would think that the school that kid played for the previous season would have some serious questions about recruiting.

Can a high school coach/volunter coach that sat on the varsity bench coach some freshman players who seen varsity playing time?

 

Nope. And to go one further I believe it is illegal for a boys' coach to take the girls' team and vice versa

Can a high school coach/volunter coach that sat on the varsity bench coach some freshman players who seen varsity playing time?

Any coach, paid or volunteer who sits the bench has to wait until the end of the school year before they can coach their players, even if they are freshman who just seen some playing time, I am pretty sure it goes for frosh who did not move up.

 

 

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but then how does the Simon Kenton assistant coach for the Shining Stars (DSAS) team all summer (starting in April)?

^ And the SK assistant coach does not coach anyone from SK during the spring.

 

If this assistant coach at Simon Kenton is coaching a 9-12 grade kid that is in his own program, it is my understanding that it would be a major rules violation.
I don't think you meant anything by it, but I don't think we should be mentioning certain school names and coaches.

 

To follow that up.....I dont understand why a hs coach would coach kids outside his/her own program? You would be developing kids for someone else. I have a few AAU coaches that I know personally and funnel my players to those coaches. Those coaches only coach during AAU season.

Most coaches care about all kids, not just the players in their own programs, they want to help all kids. Plus, it helps the coaches as well, they get to coach more games, more kids. They love to coach.

To follow that up.....I dont understand why a hs coach would coach kids outside his/her own program? You would be developing kids for someone else. I have a few AAU coaches that I know personally and funnel my players to those coaches. Those coaches only coach during AAU season.

 

A lot of high school coaches just enjoy coaching. It is of great advantage to have high school coaches coaching in AAU programs. The kids receive legitimate coaching by experienced coaches.

 

In the Shining Star Sports program we have a number of high school coaches that coach teams that do not have any of their players on the team:

 

Jeff Davis of Simon Kenton High School

Todd Downs of Boone County High School

Kevin Bundy of Bishop Brossart High School

Mike Price of Oak Hills High School

Robert Moman of Walnut Hills High School

Willie Hill of Seven Hills High School

 

The coaches love teaching the game and don't have any problem with working with kids outside of their programs. They are not interested in having the players transfer or move to their schools. Most of these coaches are very tight with the other high school coaches and want to represent themselves in a very positive light. Not interested in playing games with the kids.

 

Most high school coaches enjoy having their kids involved in a program with high school coaches involved. They feel comfortable about the coaching that their players receive.

They cannot coach while school is in session if they have kids that play for them on that team. After school is over then according to the rules they can, just not during dead period. Read closer.

I also believe to go one step farther you can not coach kids in your school system period. You for example can not coach kids from Scott, Simon Kenton, or Dixie if you coach at one of those schools.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.