9th Region Upsets this season

Which game should be called an upset?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which game should be called an upset?

• Ryle over Holmes
    • St. Henry over Boone County
    • St. Henry over Covington Catholic
    • Dayton over Beechwood
    • Newport over Highlands
    • Newport over Boone County
    • Holy Cross over Dixie Heights

As the 9th region tournament approaches as the districts wind down, looking back over this past season which games during the year do you believe should be called upsets? And which teams do you think can pull off an upset in this years tournament? The one that comes to mind right away for me is Ryle over Holmes any others worthy of being called an upset?

I don't know that I can call it an upset considering their talent level this year, but Newport's romp over Highlands 60-38 on Dec 22nd might be considered noteworthy. The Birds have had the Wildcat's number for many years, so it must've felt pretty awesome for Newport to get that monkey off their back by taking it hard to them as they did.

A few more that could be debated Dayton over Beechwood and Holy Cross over Dixie along with 2 from St. Henry one over Boone Co and the other over Cov. Cath. St. Henry over Boone could be one of the biggest of the year. If Boone wins the 33rd district and St. Henry finishes as runner up in the 34th this would be a nice 1st round matchup in the 9th region tournament.

A few more that could be debated Dayton over Beechwood and Holy Cross over Dixie along with 2 from St. Henry one over Boone Co and the other over Cov. Cath. St. Henry over Boone could be one of the biggest of the year. If Boone wins the 33rd district and St. Henry finishes as runner up in the 34th this would be a nice 1st round matchup in the 9th region tournament.

Beechwood had not lost to a DIII team since the 2006/2007 season. I would say that was an upset.

I agree with St. Henry, two very nice wins.

I'd say it was an upset seeing how I dont think anyone expected Newport to be this good this year, and Highlands was expected to be the 2nd best team in the area behind Holmes.

Why would you not expect Newport to be that good this year? I'd like to know how many minutes McDaniel, Collins, Tucker, and Luther have logged since their sophmore year not to mention their AAU experience. Throw in a nice player like Foster and you have the makings of a very good team. Some might argue that the schedule was a little soft but that's not the player's fault after-all they're a single A school.

They got also got a few breaks with Highlands and Boone not at full strength when they played.

Indeed Highlands was expected to be a contender until injuries under-cut the season. Not making excuses but, if you take a couple of any teams top players off their team they're bound to struggle. What if Holmes lost Pittman and JJ for the year? Or New Cath was without Pangallo and Geisler or Boone lost Gabbard and Earls or Ryle's Coleman and McLeish were out for the season, and what if Newport was without the services of Foster and McDaniel for the season?

I'd say that many over-looked Newport. Hope to see them continue to be successful.

Edited by CATBIRD