Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School Game Clocks

Featured Replies

As someone who attends lots of basketball games, I am confused as to why the Varsity plays 8 minute quarters while the JV and Frosh only play 6 minute quarters. Seems like at minimum, the JV and Frosh would play 7 minute quarters. I don't understand why they would not play 8 minute quarters especially since they are still in the developing stages and playing 9th, 10th, and sometimes 11th graders on the JV. Wouldn't longer quarters give more opportunities to play more players? Just seems odd that high schoolers are playing quarters that equal middle school and U13 AAU quarters.

 

Thoughts?

I suspect it is a progressive thing.

 

In Ohio the freshmen play 6 minute quarters, the JVs 7, and the varsity 8.

I always figured it was an even number thing. Six for JV/Frosh and then up to eight for varsity.

 

One thing that does happen often around here is the varsity game starts right at 7:30 so it can be on radio. The JV games won't usually start any earlier than 6. That gives JV a 1.5 hour window to play, and then allow for varsity warmup. That might be why the JV is shorter.

 

Ultimately, I'd say this is an old "rule" that has been in place for years and no one has mentioned it or changed it.

Considering my 10-11 year old YMCA team I coach plays 8 minute quarters... :idunno:

When I was a freshmen coach back in the late 70's, early 80's we'd often play 8 minute quarter freshmen games if there was no game following us.

 

It was simply done by mutual agreement between the coaches and officials.

 

Guess that doesn't happen anymore.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.