Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC 35 Highlands 33

Featured Replies

final from the hill:banana:

Newport Central Catholic 35

Highlands 33

Highlands 11 7 12 3 33

 

Newport Central Catholic 10 7 6 12 35

 

Highlands (7-4) -- Allen 4, Conner 2, Towles 13, Schaefer 8, Cutter 6.

Newport Central Catholic (9-2) -- Thiem 11, Bartels 8, Sandfoss 6, Fryer 5, Muench 2, Tabor 3

 

 

According to the Lex Herald.

This was a typical Newport Catholic/Highlands matchup, lots of emotion. Highlands had it, but didn’t seal the deal. NC did a good job coming back and deserve a lot of credit for that. I can assure you that neither coach wants any part of the either in a district opening round match-up.

final from the hill:banana:

 

Ugly game............but exciting! Lots of defense, Highlands in a zone and NCC in man, lots of turnovers, lots of missed shots. NCC came back from 11 point and then 9 point second half deficits to win on a steal and layup by Courtney Sandfoss with 3.4 seconds left. NCC used smothering full court pressure to fuel the comeback.

 

I'm not sure about the time but I believe Highlands was up 9 with about 3:30 or so left and went to a delay game which ended in a turnover. After NCC scored they applied the full court pressure and Highlands turned the ball over several times to allow New Cath to get back into and finally tie the game with about 20 seconds or so left.

 

Highlands called a timeout to set up a play but the NCC pressure forced a risky pass that was deflected. Sandfoss flashed between two Highlands players who appeared to have the best opportunity to get the deflected ball, picked it off, and zipped to the basket for an easy lay up. NCC's last effort ended when a mid-court pass was picked off on the end bounds play.

Just goes to show you the importance of Sanfoss even if she does not score a lot of points. Toughest defender I know. I would assume she was on Allen tongiht?

Just goes to show you the importance of Sanfoss even if she does not score a lot of points. Toughest defender I know. I would assume she was on Allen tongiht?

 

Yes she was matched up with Allen and Tabor was matched up with Towles.

Both teams had a great game plan and NCC pulls it out at the end. I hope these two dont draw each other in the opener of the Dist because both could cause serious problems in the Region for the rest. 20n10.

Just goes to show you the importance of Sanfoss even if she does not score a lot of points. Toughest defender I know. I would assume she was on Allen tongiht?

 

Yes, she was on Allen most of the time. Of course Sandfoss turned an ankle and missed probably six minutes of the second quarter. She had the ankle iced the rest of the half and I thought she might be done for the game, but she was back and played well, as you said, without scoring a lot but directing the NCC attack and playing the tough D. Allen's only FG was on a fast break layup.

NCC man to man 'D' & press is strong. NCC has a real shot at the All 'A' state title.

Both teams last showed some of their strengths and weaknesses last night. If I play NC I zone the entire game. Sandfoss is a JC Bradley type of penetrator and when she does it she makes everybody on her team better. Highlands placed a taller girl out on the point and it created some problems for NC offensively. Their strength is defense. All their guards apply very good pressure.

I thought NC had trouble with Highlands inside last night. Highlands needs to continue pound it inside. The Birds definitely have to work on their press offense. NC did a great job when they pressed.

All in all on a neutral court the next game will be a barn burner. If I’m NC I press to the cows come home. If I’m Highlands I zone and pound it inside to 14. Like others I just hope this isn’t the opening game in the district tournament.

For Sandfoss to go down and then come back and make the game winning basket, shows how much desire and grit this very good young lady has. She plays with passion that I just love to see, she is true OLD SCHOOL ball player. Good luck to both teams.

For Sandfoss to go down and then come back and make the game winning basket, shows how much desire and grit this very good young lady has. She plays with passion that I just love to see, she is true OLD SCHOOL ball player. Good luck to both teams.

 

Anyone who saw the Regional finals last year already knows this is true. She is one of my favorite players to watch.

There is no doubt that Sandfoss is the engine that makes NCC run. They will really miss her next year.

Flashback, Courtney played entire Regional final with a very painful broken hand from semi final game, very gutsy performance.

 

Girls final Boone County  NCC 024.jpg

Girls final Boone County  NCC 062.jpg

Is Courtney getting any looks? I would think NKU would be a good fit. May not be long enough for Nancy, but I would take her quickness over that issue.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.