Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

State Championship Games

Featured Replies

All times are CST by being in Bowling Green

 

Per the KHSAA:

 

Game Times for 2009 Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl FinalizedMonday, August 31, 2009 4:45 PM

From: "Elden May, KHSAA" Add sender to Contacts

 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: AUGUST 31, 2009

 

GAME TIMES FOR 2009 COMMONWEALTH GRIDIRON BOWL FINALIZED

 

Game times for the 2009 Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl were approved the KHSAA Board of Control at a special August meeting.

The action begins on Friday, Dec. 4 at 11 a.m. central time with the Class 4A championship. The Class 2A championship follows at 3 p.m. with the Class 5A championship game scheduled to kick off at 7 p.m.

Saturday’s contests will also kick off at 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. The Class 3A championship game will be played first, followed by the Class 1A title game. The Class 6A championship will be the final game of the weekend.

 

http://www.khsaa.org/news/20092010/nr083109.pdf

 

http://www.khsaa.org/news/news.htm

Before any one asks about why there was a change with the past schedule of 1, 3 and 5 being on Friday, and 2, 4 and 6 being on Saturday, I'll give the answer as I understand it. The smaller schools had asked that their championships not be held first because they felt that the early start time had adversely affected the ability of their fans to attend. So this year they went with 4 first on Friday and 3 first on Saturday. The KHSAA kept 5 at the last game on Friday and 6 the last game on Saturday. The KHSAA often gets wrongly accused for making decisions based on the almight dollar. This was one decision that was made based on the dollar. Historically, the 5 and 6 class championships have attracted the largest gates. The KHSAA felt that moving either of those classes out of the "prime" times could affect the gate for those two games. So they left them as they were. Before any one jumps on the KHSAA for basing the decision on the bucks, folks need to understand that unlike most states, the KHSAA doesn't make any money on any playoff game other than the state game, and thus the gate at the state games is critically important to the KHSAA's budget considerations. While I don't like the idea that if Highlands makes it to the state game, that we won't get back to Ft. Thomas until about 2:30 in the morning, I understand the KHSAA's needs. Game starts at 8 Eastern Time (7 BG time); game and post game takes about 3 hours (or slightly longer if you wait for the team to shower and board the bus) making it 11 Eastern Time; then a 3.5 drive home gets us back to Ft. Thomas at approx 2:30 in the next morning. Not something I look forward to, but I can handle if we make it to State (particularly if we win :D).

Leatherneck,

 

Thanks for the detailed explanation on the State Championship games!! I'm in West Ky. so its nice to have the games a little closer this year. Good luck to Highlands, but I'm sure they will be in the final game there!!

I like the 5A and 6A closing the evening off, so that is good. I enjoyed the 1A and 2A playing first, then 3A and 4A second, but that's definitely not a deal breaker. I understand the complaints voiced by the smaller schools and they are valid. Hopefully the numbers ($) will play out better than ever this year for the KHSAA.

Great explanation LN. I like the new format and location. From the perspective of a Fort Campbell fan, if we make it to Bowling Green, I can now make it a one day trip with half the drive and even return on Saturday for the other three games. I have no heartburn whatsoever with the KHSAA keeping the two larger classes as the late games.

Great explanation LN. I like the new format and location. From the perspective of a Fort Campbell fan, if we make it to Bowling Green, I can now make it a one day trip with half the drive and even return on Saturday for the other three games. I have no heartburn whatsoever with the KHSAA keeping the two larger classes as the late games.

 

When we play on Friday at 3, it will be much easier than the trip to PJCS and the 10 AM CST kickoff on Saturday we had the last two years. Can you imagine the FC Falcons showing up and actually being awake for the game??

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.