Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New Regional Alignment for 6th and 7th

Featured Replies

Does anybody have any comments on the new alignment that is proposed for the 6th and 7th regions?? For the boy's Male, Manual, and St. X will move to the 6th, and Bullitt Central, Bullitt East, North Bullitt, and Southern will move to the 7th. This will go into effect next year for basketball, baseball, softball, and volleyball.

Straight from the understatement of the year Department:

 

This certainly makes the 6th stronger and depletes the 7th. (duh) :ohbrother:

 

At least, looking at the teams' CURRENT relative strengths...

 

Geographically, in looking at the map in the Courier-Journal today, this makes sense. Hate to see some of the traditional rivalries go away, though.

Doesnt make sense with the Bullitt Co. Schools going to the 7th or Southern. Fairdale, Bullitt Central, Southern and North Bullitt are 5 min apart. Bullitt East I can see in the 7th.

  • Author

It doesn't deplete the 7th region. They still have the big 3: Ballard, J'town, and Eastern. Followed by Trinity, Seneca, and Fern Creek. All solid basketball programs.

 

It does make the 6th region tougher!!

 

And it definitely helps Male and Manual. They can't beat Ballard, Eastern, or J'town--so lets just move them to the 6th Region.

 

How can teams so close like Bullitt Central, North Bullitt, Southern, and Fairdale not be in the same region???

Doesnt make sense with the Bullitt Co. Schools going to the 7th or Southern. Fairdale, Bullitt Central, Southern and North Bullitt are 5 min apart. Bullitt East I can see in the 7th.

 

 

How can teams so close like Bullitt Central, North Bullitt, Southern, and Fairdale not be in the same region???

 

The line's gotta be drawn somewhere. In an area such as LA, it's invariable that some schools close together will be split up in some way.

It doesn't deplete the 7th region. They still have the big 3: Ballard, J'town, and Eastern. Followed by Trinity, Seneca, and Fern Creek. All solid basketball programs.

 

It does make the 6th region tougher!!

 

And it definitely helps Male and Manual. They can't beat Ballard, Eastern, or J'town--so lets just move them to the 6th Region.

 

How can teams so close like Bullitt Central, North Bullitt, Southern, and Fairdale not be in the same region???

 

I didn't say it made the 7th WEAK, I said it made it WEAKER. How can you move Male, St. X, and Manual - three traditionally strong teams - and not be depleted somewhat? The replacements - North Bullitt and Bullitt Central have not been strong of late, although BE hasn't been bad.

 

The line's gotta be drawn somewhere. In an area such as LA, it's invariable that some schools close together will be split up in some way.

 

In Louisville, someone's always going to be close to another school that's in the other Louisville region, no matter where you draw the line. If you look at the map on page 7 of the Courier-Journal sports section, you can see this. They are more or less using I-65 as the divider, with the exception of St. X, Male, and Evangel Christian, which would be in the 6th despite being on the east side of I-65. All three, however, are just barely east. Male and Evangel can be seen from I-65...

I think there is a representative from Lou. Male on the Board of Control. I am guessing he is going to get this done to help Male.

I think there is a representative from Lou. Male on the Board of Control. I am guessing he is going to get this done to help Male.

 

Actually, this all got started due to a mix-up in volleyball, where one of the Louisville Catholic schools was in one region for volleyball and another for basketball... Then they got started looking at the two regions, and came up with the proposal.

I still think they should be able to make the 6th and 7th for Jefferson teams only, which would help in the statewide realignment.

I haven't done the math in a year or so, but I was thinking they had at least 32 teams in Jefferson County.

I think there is a representative from Lou. Male on the Board of Control. I am guessing he is going to get this done to help Male.

 

Actually this was started by Manual not Male. Manual wanted it changed because of Mercy moving. Manual is the school that wanted out of the 7th. They think this gives them the best chance of winning. Male is also not upset about it as evident by their basketball coaches comments in the courier. Male hasnt been to state since 01 and I dont recall Manual going in recent times. I think they will find the 6th region tougher than they think. In girls the last two state champs were from the 6th. Central was state runner up in boys in a supposedly down 6th region last year. A lot of tradition in the 6th. Im sure Coach Mabry at PRP with close to 700 wins is not going to roll over for Male and Manual and neither will Fairdale and other top teams in the region.

Actually this was started by Manual not Male. Manual wanted it changed because of Mercy moving. Manual is the school that wanted out of the 7th. They think this gives them the best chance of winning. Male is also not upset about it as evident by their basketball coaches comments in the courier. Male hasnt been to state since 01 and I dont recall Manual going in recent times. I think they will find the 6th region tougher than they think. In girls the last two state champs were from the 6th. Central was state runner up in boys in a supposedly down 6th region last year. A lot of tradition in the 6th. Im sure Coach Mabry at PRP with close to 700 wins is not going to roll over for Male and Manual and neither will Fairdale and other top teams in the region.

 

I am hearing all the other reasons, but I believe behind the scenes thats probably what is going on. The last time they had a realignment you could see schools with BOC members benefitting in several instances.

I am hearing all the other reasons, but I believe behind the scenes thats probably what is going on. The last time they had a realignment you could see schools with BOC members benefitting in several instances.

 

I dont think there is any question that those schools wanted out. They think they have a better chance of winning. Most of the schools in the 7th region right now are big schools 6A in football enrollment. Currently there is only 3 6A schools in the 6th (Butler, PRP, and Southern). All of those schools in the 7th region want the benefit of having large enrollments but dont want to compete with each other. That was all the talk at last years regionals that it wasnt fair that supposedly all the good teams were in the 7th. They dont call them St. Male and University of Manual for nothing. They are the Flagship public schools in Louisville and they get what they want. The 7th region teams staying are also happy. Lose Male, Manual, and St. X pick up Bullitt Co. schools and Southern. Political power is definitely in the 7th region.

  • Author

I have to agree. It's funny how Male and Manual, the flagship schools for Jefferson County, get changed into a region that they can now win (at least in boy's basketball). When, as stated in another post, they have not won the regional since 2001 (too much Ballard, Eastern, and J'town)!!!

I still think they should be able to make the 6th and 7th for Jefferson teams only, which would help in the statewide realignment.

I haven't done the math in a year or so, but I was thinking they had at least 32 teams in Jefferson County.

 

Yeah, but not all of those schools play boys and girls hoops — and some struggle to even have teams from year-to-year — which would leave you with three-team districts if you put the Bullitt Co. schools in the 5th (where they belong) or back in the 8th (which I always found to be nonsensical, much like Anderson Co's 8th Region membership).

I believe I noticed in the brackets last March that there were 32 or 33 Louisville boys and girls teams.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.