Top Players In The 14th Region Next Season

He must be doing somthing right he has offers from colleges all over the place.D1 colleges.

Not to take anything away from Hendrix, he's a great player. But, isn't he a junior this year? If so, there aren't any colleges making offers to him. That'll come during his senior season. College coaches aren't going to come up to him or his parents and him being a sophmore this past season and say, "I'll give this kid a full ride as soon as he graduates." Maybe they'll talk to the coach and ask about the kid, but they aren't making any offers.

And before you reply saying that I don't know what I am talking about, I do. I have researched just about every site and called a couple of college coaches. They don't make offers until you are a senior and they know that what they are going to sign doesn't fizzle out before hand.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to take anything away from Hendrix, he's a great player. But, isn't he a junior this year? If so, there aren't any colleges making offers to him. That'll come during his senior season. College coaches aren't going to come up to him or his parents and him being a sophmore this past season and say, "I'll give this kid a full ride as soon as he graduates." Maybe they'll talk to the coach and ask about the kid, but they aren't making any offers.

And before you reply saying that I don't know what I am talking about, I do. I have researched just about every site and called a couple of college coaches. They don't make offers until you are a senior and they know that what they are going to sign doesn't fizzle out before hand.

OK, I'm glad you know what you are talking about but Hendrix will be a Senior this upcoming season....

Patdad, you say stats don't mean nothing. Tell me this, would a college coach rather go looking for a player hitting .500, or a player hittin .310. Would a coach rather go look at a pitcher with the record of 5-5 or a pitcher that is 8-2. Stats do play a role in high school baseball. I do agree though its the desire for winning and the make up of the player that counts, but if stats don't show that, then their is something wrong. Having good stats shows your working skills, and stats do show how well you improved from the years past. Stats I believe do mean something.

He will be a senior. You can accept letters as a junior.

Hey, I can be wrong every now and then. I talked to someone during the season and they told me that Hendrix was a soph.

He will be a senior. You can accept letters as a junior.

Yes, you can accept letters when you are a junior. I know that. You see invites to look at the programs and such, not offers.

Patdad, you say stats don't mean nothing. Tell me this, would a college coach rather go looking for a player hitting .500, or a player hittin .310. Would a coach rather go look at a pitcher with the record of 5-5 or a pitcher that is 8-2. Stats do play a role in high school baseball. I do agree though its the desire for winning and the make up of the player that counts, but if stats don't show that, then their is something wrong. Having good stats shows your working skills, and stats do show how well you improved from the years past. Stats I believe do mean something.

If the player that is hitting .310 and is giving 110% each and every game and the player that is hitting .500 and isn't giving it 110%, I'll take the .310 player. the .310 hitter may be hitting the ball where it needs to go better than the .500 hitter. Then you would have to look at the hitters field play. One may be better than the other.

Same goes for the pitchers. Also, the 8-2 pitcher may be facing teams that aren't that good while the 5-5 pitcher may be facing the better teams. The 5-5 pitcher may be hitting his spots better than the 8-2 pitcher, and so on.

There are too many varibles to look for in players. Go ask a college or pro scout. They will tell you that they will look at the stats, but they want to see the player as well. I'll let you know something that isn't spoken about too much. A scout and coach that is looking at a player or recriuting, for that matter, will watch that player before and after a game. They'll look to see if the player is helping the rest of the team putting out and putting up equipment, if he does what the coach asks of him, misses sign, what the player does in the dugout during the game, and so on.

I may not know what I am talking about, but I'll make sure that my sons aren't going to make donkey's of themselves when a scout or coach is in attendance at a game to see them. I'll make sure that they know to act like a player on the field and off.

If the player that is hitting .310 and is giving 110% each and every game and the player that is hitting .500 and isn't giving it 110%, I'll take the .310 player. the .310 hitter may be hitting the ball where it needs to go better than the .500 hitter. Then you would have to look at the hitters field play. One may be better than the other.

Same goes for the pitchers. Also, the 8-2 pitcher may be facing teams that aren't that good while the 5-5 pitcher may be facing the better teams. The 5-5 pitcher may be hitting his spots better than the 8-2 pitcher, and so on.

There are too many varibles to look for in players. Go ask a college or pro scout. They will tell you that they will look at the stats, but they want to see the player as well. I'll let you know something that isn't spoken about too much. A scout and coach that is looking at a player or recriuting, for that matter, will watch that player before and after a game. They'll look to see if the player is helping the rest of the team putting out and putting up equipment, if he does what the coach asks of him, misses sign, what the player does in the dugout during the game, and so on.

I may not know what I am talking about, but I'll make sure that my sons aren't going to make donkey's of themselves when a scout or coach is in attendance at a game to see them. I'll make sure that they know to act like a player on the field and off.

If a kid runs a 6.4/60 or throws 95 m.p.h. then you can throw pitching records and batting averages out the window. Coaches at the next level can teach a kid to hit (if he can run), and they can teach a pitcher to throw strikes if he is slinging it.

But for 99% of the baseball population, that don't run a 6.4/60 or even throw 85 m.p.h. they had better take care of business in the classroom first, then be a good team player second (hustle on and off the field, take pride in what they are doing, and look like they enjoy the game). College coaches don't have to take a chance on an average player, if they have a bad attitude or if they won't work hard in the classroom.

After your high school coach makes initial contact for a player to the college coach, the player should stay in contact with that college coach via e-mail or phone calls on a weekly basis. I believe most college coaches want to see that the player is interested in their program (not the high school coach or the players' parent). If a player is not responsible enough to do NCAA Clearinghouse, Financial Aid (FAFSA), and admission forms for the college- then how can the coach depend on the player to make 6:30 a.m. workouts, or go to his classes, w/o mom and dad around?

If a kid runs a 6.4/60 or throws 95 m.p.h. then you can throw pitching records and batting averages out the window. Coaches at the next level can teach a kid to hit (if he can run), and they can teach a pitcher to throw strikes if he is slinging it.

But for 99% of the baseball population, that don't run a 6.4/60 or even throw 85 m.p.h. they had better take care of business in the classroom first, then be a good team player second (hustle on and off the field, take pride in what they are doing, and look like they enjoy the game). College coaches don't have to take a chance on an average player, if they have a bad attitude or if they won't work hard in the classroom.

After your high school coach makes initial contact for a player to the college coach, the player should stay in contact with that college coach via e-mail or phone calls on a weekly basis. I believe most college coaches want to see that the player is interested in their program (not the high school coach or the players' parent). If a player is not responsible enough to do NCAA Clearinghouse, Financial Aid (FAFSA), and admission forms for the college- then how can the coach depend on the player to make 6:30 a.m. workouts, or go to his classes, w/o mom and dad around?

Earle great post. :thumb:

Great Post.

1) Riley Hendrix (Leslie)

2) Keenan Muncie (Powell)

3) Quentin Morgan (Leslie)

4) Jason Osbourne (Lee)

5) Justin Hicks (Hazard)

6) Jon Couch (PCC)

7) Brandon Smith (Knott)

8) Brandon Napier (PCC)

9) Corey Thomas (Lee)

10) Jason Bowling (Owsley)

Nice list.