Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Western Kentucky 4A - Three Team District?

Featured Replies

If you look at schedules, it appears that the new Muhlenberg County High School will be playing a 6A schedule in a district that includes Apollo, Daviess County, Graves County, Henderson County and Marshall County.

 

Muhlenberg North originally played in Class 4A District 1. With North gone, that district now only has three teams: Calloway County, Hopkins County Central, and Lone Oak and all of their schedules are complete with no new team. The opposite district has five teams: Allen County-Scottsville, Franklin-Simpson, Logan County, Russell County and Warren East.

 

The question begs, will this 3-team district be allowed to stay in play? Will the fifth team in the opposite district now make the playoffs as a way to make eight playoff teams from the region? Does anyone know?

It will be a three-team district for one year. In 2010, when the new South Warren is opened, Greenwood and South Warren will be placed in District 1 for just that one season. After that, the state will reclassify and realign the six classes.

 

Next year, the District 2 winner will get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

 

I'm told that the District 1 coaches actually asked the KHSAA to move Logan County into their district for two years, but the request was turned down.

It will be a three-team district for one year. In 2010, when the new South Warren is opened, Greenwood and South Warren will be placed in District 1 for just that one season. After that, the state will reclassify and realign the six classes.

 

Next year, the District 2 winner will get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

 

I'm told that the District 1 coaches actually asked the KHSAA to move Logan County into their district for two years, but the request was turned down.

The irony to me is, the District 2 coaches I've talked to are upset at the prospect of the bye, because it denies them the gate of a postseason game. So they get the bye, which you would figure is a good thing, but lose out on a fairly large take of money.

  • Author
The irony to me is, the District 2 coaches I've talked to are upset at the prospect of the bye, because it denies them the gate of a postseason game. So they get the bye, which you would figure is a good thing, but lose out on a fairly large take of money.

 

I thought it might set up where the District 2 winner played the District 2 fifth place, or something similar.

 

Maybe a bracket like this (district number, dash, then place finish):

 

1-1 vs. 2-4

2-2 vs. 1-3

2-1 vs. 2-5

1-2 vs. 2-3

  • Author
It will be a three-team district for one year. In 2010, when the new South Warren is opened, Greenwood and South Warren will be placed in District 1 for just that one season. After that, the state will reclassify and realign the six classes.

 

Next year, the District 2 winner will get a first-round bye in the playoffs.

 

I'm told that the District 1 coaches actually asked the KHSAA to move Logan County into their district for two years, but the request was turned down.

 

The part about the Warren County schools and next season makes sense.

 

The part about moving Logan County doesn't; why not move them this year? It was a new realignment year and everyone is starting scheduling anew this season.

The part about the Warren County schools and next season makes sense.

 

The part about moving Logan County doesn't; why not move them this year? It was a new realignment year and everyone is starting scheduling anew this season.

I agree ...
The part about the Warren County schools and next season makes sense.

 

The part about moving Logan County doesn't; why not move them this year? It was a new realignment year and everyone is starting scheduling anew this season.

Well, actually, it would make infinitely more sense to move Logan County and Franklin-Simpson IMO. Both Greenwood and South Warren are further away from District 1 than Logan County, and it's kind of a wash between them and Franklin. I guess both Greenwood and South Warren are going because they'll make it to where one Bowling Green school will only have to make the long travel once and the other only twice, since one of the road games will be against the other BG team. And they'll be able to make it so that the far Western Kentucky schools only have to go to BG once apiece. But still, it's weird, and counteractive to a better travel situation, which would see three BG schools in the same district, which after that next realignment, I think it'll be.

 

Edit: I thought about it some more, and I think that's why Logan County wasn't moved. Logan County alone would have to make a trip to the far West twice. Still, it's a really poor situation, and one caused ENTIRELY by having too many classes. And as the consolidation of schools seems to continue to be an epidemic across the state, it may only get worse.

I believe that this will get interesting. I wouldn't like to be the team who had the bye week. It wouldn't be right to make them sit out a week.

What would have made sense is to move one of the District I 5A schools down to 4A since 5A district I now has 5 schools with the addition of Madisonville. It doesn't make sense to have a Logan county school drive all the way to Lone Oak or Calloway for a district game. It would look a lot like the old District I Class 3A in the 4 class system that had Lone Oak, Calloway, Union Co and Hopkinsville.

What would have made sense is to move one of the District I 5A schools down to 4A since 5A district I now has 5 schools with the addition of Madisonville. It doesn't make sense to have a Logan county school drive all the way to Lone Oak or Calloway for a district game. It would look a lot like the old District I Class 3A in the 4 class system that had Lone Oak, Calloway, Union Co and Hopkinsville.
And how "fair" would it be to have a 5A school playing in a 4A district?

The numbers will tell you that Hoptown is at the bottom of 5A enrollment wise. They have 8 more students than Hopkins Central. You can go the other way too, move up a 3A school in Dist I that has 5 schools. Take Tilghman and round out the district. Lone Oak has 29 more kids than Tilghman. Obviously, there's not that much difference between the very bottom of one class and the very top of another. Having 3 team districts with some teams getting byes and other districts where some teams don't even go to the playoffs makes ZERO sense.

The numbers will tell you that Hoptown is at the bottom of 5A enrollment wise. They have 8 more students than Hopkins Central. You can go the other way too, move up a 3A school in Dist I that has 5 schools. Take Tilghman and round out the district. Lone Oak has 29 more kids than Tilghman. Obviously, there's not that much difference between the very bottom of one class and the very top of another. Having 3 team districts with some teams getting byes and other districts where some teams don't even go to the playoffs makes ZERO sense.
Blame the KHSAA. They're the people that decided to go to six classes, leaving little room to adjust to consolidations and enrollment changes, and decided to realign every four years instead of every two years.

 

The KHSAA could have moved Logan over for two years to give the district four teams. It doubt that it would be the first time that a school has been moved for such a reason.

Agree. I know some schools, that are border line attendance wise, have asked to be moved for two years in order to round out discticts and cut travel have been denied by the KHSAA.

I don't think the 6 class system will survive the next round of reclassification.

I don't think the 6 class system will survive the next round of reclassification.
I hope you are right about that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.