Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

South Laurel 20 Bell County 7

Featured Replies

Footbal result may have led to the baseball result, happy with one and settled.

 

To a certain extent they have been successful, but honestly no sport has approached the success of the football team.

 

 

Don't let this one game dampen nice careers from Greer and Co. To Overbay and Greer, congrats on moving on to the next level and good luck in college, remember its just a game, work hard in practice and harder in the class room.

 

 

Great advice WC. To the person who said Bell had no heart, you're a very poor judge of character. As Jrs. they won the 1st ever baseball region at the school and go 12-1 in football, losing to eventual 4A champs LexCath. As Srs. they got back to the finals in baseball and go 15-0 in football. All 7 baseball srs, Greer, Overbay, Ely, Zachary, Simpson, Slusher, and Merrick played key parts in the football state title. You don't accomplish all of that without a ton of talent and a "Secretariat" sized heart.

  • Replies 45
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell just ran into a way better team than them. Too much offense for south. The cards trailed 5-0 and then outscored Bell, 20-2. That's right, 20-2.

Remember didn't Anderson County thump Bell not too long ago?

 

Yes. I would say SL had the better team obviously. I am not a baseball guy, but judging by the 2 scores for whatever reason they seemed to not matchup well with SL. (the word matchup may not be appropriate, but its all I got :lol:).

 

As far as the Anderson Co. blow out, I was thinking Bell had 1 of the best baseball teams in the mountains. Also looking at the top 25 baseball teams, correct me if I am wrong, but there wasn't any mountain teams in that top 25. To me it appears mountain teams are way behing in baseball. I hope SL proves me wrong and makes a nice run though.

Yes. I would say SL had the better team obviously. I am not a baseball guy, but judging by the 2 scores for whatever reason they seemed to not matchup well with SL. (the word matchup may not be appropriate, but its all I got :lol:).

 

As far as the Anderson Co. blow out, I was thinking Bell had 1 of the best baseball teams in the mountains. Also looking at the top 25 baseball teams, correct me if I am wrong, but there wasn't any mountain teams in that top 25. To me it appears mountain teams are way behing in baseball. I hope SL proves me wrong and makes a nice run though.

 

Honestly, the coaches poll is skewed. They can only vote for the top 10 and they cannot vote for themselves. Obviously, everyone is going to put nearly the same teams in the top 10 with the exception of 1 or 2 and those teams trickly down to fill in the rest of the spots.

 

You also have to keep in mind that there are no classes in baseball so while one team may be the best 2A size school in the state, they still may not be in the top 25 overall.

 

 

Bell County was very streaky. It's not like when they got beat by Anderson that they played to the best of their abilities. They played very poorly. I actually heard that couldn't catch, throw, or hit. Hard to peg someone as the best team in the mountains when they do that. Also, they did lose 7 games. They weren't an outstanding team. Solid, but not very great.

Edited by cards1b21
Typo

Honestly, the coaches poll is skewed. They can only vote for the top 10 and they cannot vote for themselves. Obviously, everyone is going to put nearly the same teams in the top 10 with the exception of 1 or 2 and those teams trickly down to fill in the rest of the spots.

 

You also have to keep in mind that there are no classes in baseball so while one team may be the best 2A size school in the state, they still may not be in the top 25 overall.

 

 

Bell County was very streaky. It's not like when they got beat by Anderson that they played to the best of their abilities. They played very poorly. I actually heard that couldn't catch, throw, or hit. Hard to peg someone as the best team in the mountains when they do that. Also, they did lose 7 games. They weren't an outstanding team. Solid, but not very great.

 

I said 1 of the best and not the best. I'd imagine at the least they are a top 10 team in the mountains and maybe top 5, although admittedly I don't follow it that closely.

They were definitely in the top 10 and quite possibly in the top 5. However, like I mentioned prior to this game, they might fall off the map next year. That senior class had a good run though.

Great advice WC. To the person who said Bell had no heart, you're a very poor judge of character. As Jrs. they won the 1st ever baseball region at the school and go 12-1 in football, losing to eventual 4A champs LexCath. As Srs. they got back to the finals in baseball and go 15-0 in football. All 7 baseball srs, Greer, Overbay, Ely, Zachary, Simpson, Slusher, and Merrick played key parts in the football state title. You don't accomplish all of that without a ton of talent and a "Secretariat" sized heart.

 

Great post! Bell County's seniors have had a VERY nice run that any of the football and baseball teams in the 13th (or several other regions for that matter) would LOVE to have been part of. A football state title and the school's first ever baseball regional title are accomplishments these kids will never forget and while some may bash these kids, they deserve much better treatment. They are still kids. They ran into a very good SL team who drilled the ball in the title game and did what a favorite is supposed to do, win the big games. These Bell County seniors have won more than their share of 'big games' in both sports and NOONE on this board or anywhere else can take that away from them! How many other senior groups in the mountains can say they have done what these Bell County kids have done and have the hardware to show for it?

 

Great run for these Bobcat seniors! :thumb:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but baseball wise, the group was above average but not record setting. What set them off is their football success this year.

 

Speaking in baseball terms only: (Before 2005, BC had not won a district or regional title since at least 96 which means no senior class at Bell had ever won a baseball championship since the class of 1999

 

2006- 18-7-bounced in district by Middlesboro

2007- 13-14- bounced in district by Harlan

2008- 26-15- District and Region Champs

2009- 20-8- District Champs, bounced in region by SL

 

So they won 2 district titles and one regional title. Granted, that is ground-breaking at Bell County High School. But to be perfectly honestly, its pretty regular at the other premeire baseball teams in the region. For example:

 

For South Laurel:

2006- 27-11- District Champs, Region Champs, Section Champs, Elite 8 Participant

2007- 22-13- District Champs, bounced in region by Middlesboro

2008- 22-14- District Champs, bounced in region by Clay County

2009- 23-4- District Champs, Region Champs, STILL PLAYING

 

That means that EVERY senior class from 06-12 will have experienced a district and regional title. It is also important to note that they play a much tougher district than Bell.

 

For Middlesboro:

1998- District Champs, Region Champs, bounced in Sectional by Boyd County

1999- District Champs, Region Champs, Section Champs, bounced in Final Four by Lexington Catholic

2000- District Champs, bounced in region by Rockcastle Co.

2001- District Champs, bounced in region by Corbin

2002- District Champs, Region Champs, Section Champs, bounced in Final Four by Trinity

2003- District Champs, bounced in region by Clay Co.

2004- District Champs, bounced in region by Rockcastle Co.

2005- distict runner-up, bounced in region by Cumberland

 

Therefore, for AT LEAST 12 straight years, Middlesboro's senior classes have won mulitple districts championships and at least 1 regional championship. Furthermore, they also won a football title in 98 I think.

 

 

Now....I say all of this to show that while Bell County had a great group--to be considered a good program, you have to stay at that level or at the very least, return to it after 1 or 2 years off. SL and Middlesboro have had baseball classes like BC's for years and years and years. I hope that Bell County will remain at their current level and strengthen mountain baseball.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but baseball wise, the group was above average but not record setting. What set them off is their football success this year.

 

Speaking in baseball terms only: (Before 2005, BC had not won a district or regional title since at least 96 which means no senior class at Bell had ever won a baseball championship since the class of 1999

 

2006- 18-7-bounced in district by Middlesboro

2007- 13-14- bounced in district by Harlan

2008- 26-15- District and Region Champs

2009- 20-8- District Champs, bounced in region by SL

 

So they won 2 district titles and one regional title. Granted, that is ground-breaking at Bell County High School. But to be perfectly honestly, its pretty regular at the other premeire baseball teams in the region. For example:

 

For South Laurel:

2006- 27-11- District Champs, Region Champs, Section Champs, Elite 8 Participant

2007- 22-13- District Champs, bounced in region by Middlesboro

2008- 22-14- District Champs, bounced in region by Clay County

2009- 23-4- District Champs, Region Champs, STILL PLAYING

 

That means that EVERY senior class from 06-12 will have experienced a district and regional title. It is also important to note that they play a much tougher district than Bell.

 

For Middlesboro:

1998- District Champs, Region Champs, bounced in Sectional by Boyd County

1999- District Champs, Region Champs, Section Champs, bounced in Final Four by Lexington Catholic

2000- District Champs, bounced in region by Rockcastle Co.

2001- District Champs, bounced in region by Corbin

2002- District Champs, Region Champs, Section Champs, bounced in Final Four by Trinity

2003- District Champs, bounced in region by Clay Co.

2004- District Champs, bounced in region by Rockcastle Co.

2005- distict runner-up, bounced in region by Cumberland

 

Therefore, for AT LEAST 12 straight years, Middlesboro's senior classes have won mulitple districts championships and at least 1 regional championship. Furthermore, they also won a football title in 98 I think.

 

 

Now....I say all of this to show that while Bell County had a great group--to be considered a good program, you have to stay at that level or at the very least, return to it after 1 or 2 years off. SL and Middlesboro have had baseball classes like BC's for years and years and years. I hope that Bell County will remain at their current level and strengthen mountain baseball.

 

So what you are saying is that the coach you hate (Ledington) did something at Bell that had never been done?

 

Nobody is claiming that Bell County is a power in baseball. South Laurel is obviously a much more storied baseball program, ... noone is arguing that at all. But you seem to take great joy in diminishing what these kids have accomplished. I am curious as to why you find it necessary to 'rain on the parade' of these or any other kids? :confused:

Your statement is laughable. On several occasions I praised these kids:

 

"...Bell County had a great group."

 

" I hope Bell County will remain at their current level."

 

"They were definitely in the top 10 and quite possibly in the top 5."

 

"That senior class had a good run."

 

"Greer didn't look too good at all. Unfortunate end to an otherwise good career."

 

"I know everyone has a tendency to think that they are the team of the future but I do know that SL, Corbin, KC, and Clay County all have pretty young teams that have great potential."

 

 

 

I have not been sold on Bell County or Whitley County all year. I have made several compliments of other regional teams: Corbin, Middlesboro, Clay, NL, and even KC. I'm sorry I didn't care for your team. If you are offended by the FACTS that I provided in my last post, I'm sorry. Sometimes, it takes the facts being right in front of you to keep bias from getting in the way.

Your statement is laughable. On several occasions I praised these kids:

 

"...Bell County had a great group."

 

" I hope Bell County will remain at their current level."

 

"They were definitely in the top 10 and quite possibly in the top 5."

 

"That senior class had a good run."

 

"Greer didn't look too good at all. Unfortunate end to an otherwise good career."

 

"I know everyone has a tendency to think that they are the team of the future but I do know that SL, Corbin, KC, and Clay County all have pretty young teams that have great potential."

 

 

 

I have not been sold on Bell County or Whitley County all year. I have made several compliments of other regional teams: Corbin, Middlesboro, Clay, NL, and even KC. I'm sorry I didn't care for your team. If you are offended by the FACTS that I provided in my last post, I'm sorry. Sometimes, it takes the facts being right in front of you to keep bias from getting in the way.

 

You obviously don't actually read anyones posts, just respond. I have said on more than one occasion that I am a fan of NL and SL because they are the two schools in the town where I live, London. I was a Cardinal when it was Laurel County. I was commenting on all the negative posts you have, ... and if you have to preface a comment with "I don't want to rain on anyone's parade", then you ought to think about whether the comment should be made about these KIDS at all. Even on your numerous Whitley County bashing posts, I prefaced my comments that I was not a Whitley County fan, but just admired how they had improved. I have complimented South Laurel several times and hope they have an even better end to the season then the last time they won the region and had a nice run all the way to Applebee's Park. BTW, I was the first person to congratulate South Laurel on this win after this thread was posted.

 

You need to remember that these are kids and ripping them does no good. All the kids deserve better than that, regardless of the school they play for. Please don't make it necessary for me to go back and pull all your negative posts. I really don't have 2-3 days to pull them all. Just give congrats to the Cards and Coach Harris on a great run and hopes that it is a LONG run. No need to bash anyone else. It certainly doesn't make the team you cheer for look any better by bashing others.

I've never mentioned a single kid in negative fashion. In fact, the only kid I've mentioned by name is Greer and I said he has had a great career.

 

 

Make no mistake about it, these KIDS represent a PROGRAM AS A WHOLE. I will not deny criticing the history of a program. It's not like I have tracked any individual's career. I have provided TEAM records and successes and don't know anything about many of the kids, nor do I care. That is why I never made it personal.

 

You continue to take offense to WC comments and that is because very early in the season, I said they weren't as good as everyone thought they were and as it turned out, they weren't were they? They didn't have a great record and they didn't make it out of district. Their coach was thrown out of a game and suspended and yet everyone praised him despite everything. I stand by all of those statements because I was 100% accurate in the things I said concerning WC.

 

The only team I was probably wrong about was HC. Their coach got them ready for the post season and they made a good run. They should be very proud.

I've never mentioned a single kid in negative fashion. In fact, the only kid I've mentioned by name is Greer and I said he has had a great career.

 

 

Make no mistake about it, these KIDS represent a PROGRAM AS A WHOLE. I will not deny criticing the history of a program. It's not like I have tracked any individual's career. I have provided TEAM records and successes and don't know anything about many of the kids, nor do I care. That is why I never made it personal.

 

You continue to take offense to WC comments and that is because very early in the season, I said they weren't as good as everyone thought they were and as it turned out, they weren't were they? They didn't have a great record and they didn't make it out of district. Their coach was thrown out of a game and suspended and yet everyone praised him despite everything. I stand by all of those statements because I was 100% accurate in the things I said concerning WC.

 

The only team I was probably wrong about was HC. Their coach got them ready for the post season and they made a good run. They should be very proud.

 

 

I agree that every coach that is thrown out of a game should be treated like garbage. :thumb: Good to know that Ledington was the only coach or player ever thrown out! The fact is that he is a very good coach, whether you like him or not. He took a losing program (as you have described Bell's history) and in his first year won a regional title. He came to Whitley and after a losing season before he got there, they were much improved. Did I ever say they were the best in the region? Nope. But they were better just as Bell improved during his short time there. And again, let me reiterate, I am NOT a Whitley County fan. Growing up as a proud Laurel County Cardinal, I actually hated Whitley County. But I can show respect to someone or a program for their accomplishments regardless of where they play or coach and don't feel the need to take little jabs. You can make your points without needing a negative spin.

 

Your comment about not caring answered my question. But let's see if all your posts are just facts and nothing is negative in them.

 

Now...is there any doubt that SL through off yesterday? See, people that don't know the game, don't really catch onto that kind of stuff. They think they if they win, they are better, regardless of who the opposing team actually pitched against them.

 

WC got embarrassed tonight. Enough said.

Excuse. Whitley scored 5 runs in the loss to and 5 runs in the win over South Laurel. Difference was South exploded for 15 runs in the 2nd game with Whitley.

 

And like I said in another thread, Whitley has lost 8 games. That's not too good at this point in the season. Looks like Ledington is doing okay--not good and especially not great.
This was 5-1 and the season started in March. At the time of your post, Whitley had recovered after a bad start and was 12-2 in their last 14 games from April 9 thru May 1. That being said, they certainly didn't finish strong down the stretch, that can't be denied. But they were better than they were the year before whether you can actually admit that or not, ... just as was Bell.

 

The bottom line is that I disagree with your tone and inclination to put a negative spin on what you can, I don't think it is necessary. However, I will cheer for the Cardinals and hope they bring home a state title. I truly believe they have a real shot to make a run, and with all the teams in the top 25 who have already been sent home, ... I do believe that they have a shot!

Well we will just agree to disagree. Thank you for your support of the Cardinals however. Also, I will miss the baseball debate this offseason.

To Cards1b21, I'm a little confused. I've went back over the thread and maybe I'm missing it, but where does anyone say Bell is a Powerhouse in baseball??? Only a less-than intelligent person would think that. Anyone following baseball, saw this 2 year run coming when these kids were in middle school. And I would say the comment about Greer was in a negative fashion. Gotta agree with Mtn. Thunder, not sure where your "stats" post came from. Anyone that follows the sport knows that Corbin, Clay, and Middlesboro are the powerhouses in the 13th in baseball. I guess SL would be included, I'm not sure what they did in the 12th, but only being in the 13th for 4 years kinda makes it a borderline reference. Just trying to understand your logic and point???

To Cards1b21, I'm a little confused. I've went back over the thread and maybe I'm missing it, but where does anyone say Bell is a Powerhouse in baseball??? Only a less-than intelligent person would think that. Anyone following baseball, saw this 2 year run coming when these kids were in middle school. And I would say the comment about Greer was in a negative fashion. Gotta agree with Mtn. Thunder, not sure where your "stats" post came from. Anyone that follows the sport knows that Corbin, Clay, and Middlesboro are the powerhouses in the 13th in baseball. I guess SL would be included, I'm not sure what they did in the 12th, but only being in the 13th for 4 years kinda makes it a borderline reference. Just trying to understand your logic and point???

 

 

I was basing my argument on this statement that was made by Log Mountain Boy. Arugment has been over for a few days on. Move on.

"I was thinking Bell had 1 of the best baseball teams in the mountains"

 

Clay's a powerhouse? In my opinion, only a less than intelligent person would say this. haha. Clay hasn't won a regional title in as long as I can even remember. Have they ever? Really.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.