Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Walton-Verona Open

Featured Replies

I can see a 300 bench and a 215 clean, but a 600 pound parallel squat is not a believeable stat. I went to a pretty good college and the best squat was a freakishly strong defensive lineman who squated 550 to a 12 inch box. Regardless, I have never seen a squat rack on the football field.

 

I believe Coach Barth will do a very good job with these kids. Best wishes to Coach Barth and Walton football!

 

A 12 inch box is well below the knees. Why would anyone squat that low and risk injury? I could also see by going that low that he would only do 550.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do Barth or Cline have any high school experience?

 

I think Coach Barth may have some as assistant and I am unsure on Coach Cline. The assistants that are returning all have experience at the high school level on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

A 12 inch box is well below the knees. Why would anyone squat that low and risk injury? I could also see by going that low that he would only do 550.

 

If you squat and touch your butt to a 12 inch box I bet your thighs will be very close to parallel to the ground. I would say anybody over 6'2" may be below parallel, but there is no more of an injury risk.

If you squat and touch your butt to a 12 inch box I bet your thighs will be very close to parallel to the ground. I would say anybody over 6'2" may be below parallel, but there is no more of an injury risk.

 

Nope. I am 5'10" and my knees are 20" off the ground. For me, to touch a 12" box I have to squat so far down that it would but a severe amount of stress on my lower back just to control the weight, because I have to lean forward to keep from falling backwards.

Get a tape measure out and try it, for yourself.

Nope. I am 5'10" and my knees are 20" off the ground. For me, to touch a 12" box I have to squat so far down that it would but a severe amount of stress on my lower back just to control the weight, because I have to lean forward to keep from falling backwards.

Get a tape measure out and try it, for yourself.

 

Not gonna highjack the thread. Try it, don't get out a tape measure to measure your foot to your knee. Put a bar on your back with no weight, squat down and touch your butt to a 12 inch box. It is safe, effective and guarantees an at least parallel squat. Here are some articles that talk about it. The MSN has a picture.

 

http://www.betterfasterstronger.com/home/MagDetails.asp?id=353&previd=18&MagCat=_Spring

 

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls9.htm

 

http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100165590

 

Lets use pm if you want to discuss it further.

 

Best wishes to Walton Verona. Coach Barth will do a great job.

[/u][/i]

 

 

Believe me when I say there is a group of these young men who have been absolutely busting it in the weightroom since Jan. 4th when school began this past semester. A few which have exceeded the 1,000 pound mark in bench, clean, and squat. All of which have made HUGE gains in each lift, while also being pushed and pushed and pushed some more at 6 IN THE MORNING!!! That's dedication, I commend these guys and any program would be exstatic(sp?) to have this type of dedication in any athletic program. WV is getting ready for what should be a fun inaugural year in 1A football... :thumb:

 

Coach Strong is the man with those young men and is doing a great job. They will be prepared for the season.:ylsuper:

 

Glad to hear this....They will need strong, fast, dedicated young men to consistently compete in this very tough 1A district, but you have to believe me when I tell you, the young men at WV are in for a very new football experience with coach Barth....It won't be enough to be strong....SPEED is the name of the game in HS now and Coach Barth is well aware of this....lookout for more speed and stamina training, not just weight room time.....Developing a top notch FB program starts in the weight room, but it is only the beginning. WV hasn't seen anything yet.....but they will!:D

Coach Strong is the man with those young men and is doing a great job. They will be prepared for the season.:ylsuper:

 

Glad to hear this....They will need strong, fast, dedicated young men to consistently compete in this very tough 1A district, but you have to believe me when I tell you, the young men at WV are in for a very new football experience with coach Barth....It won't be enough to be strong....SPEED is the name of the game in HS now and Coach Barth is well aware of this....lookout for more speed and stamina training, not just weight room time.....Developing a top notch FB program starts in the weight room, but it is only the beginning. WV hasn't seen anything yet.....but they will!:D

 

Coach Barth is in the middle of football camp and conditioning now. He is doing a good job. Coach McMillen started both weight and speed training programs for the team and Coach Barth is running very similar program. He also has the same staff as Coach McMillen with one addition. The boys will be challenged this year with some good football teams and will be continuing to learn. Coach Barth has come into a football program already on a good footing, he just needs to the next level. I am confident he will but these things are hardly new to the system there as far as speed and weight programs.:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.