April 29, 200917 yr He might be talented but how often do rookies come in and play really well? I'm not saying they won't play well their rookie years, I'm just saying I wouldn't expect them to. Also, who will run the ball for the Bengals? Joe Thomas played very well for the Browns last year. The same could be said about D'Brickashaw Ferguson a few years ago for the Jets. And Cedric Benson will be running the ball for the Bengals.
April 29, 200917 yr The two are far from the same thing. You come on. You're really reaching on this one. I'm not here to point fingers at each other. I'm simply saying that I don't think the Bengals draft was as good as some think. And even if it is, I'm not so sure that will have a huge impact this season. I think they'll still finish 3rd or 4th in their division.
April 29, 200917 yr Give me a break. A lot of teams acquired a lot of talent in this years draft. Being happy with draft picks are one thing, but thinking that this one draft will immediately make the Bengals better next year is stretching it IMO. This rookie class isn't going to fix all of their problems right off. What would you like a break on? The Bengals acquired a ton of talent this draft & filled a lot of needs. They were hit hard by injuries last year, yet their defense was solid. They had a very young defense, who will be a year older & more mature (hopefully). Add some more talent to the roster, and you've got a good recipe for success. The difference this year for the Bengals is that these young players aren't going to be the key players on either side of the ball. With the exception of Andre Smith - who will most likely play RT. When you combine those factors with the relatively weak schedule & you've got a recipe for success. Whether or not it works out well remains to be seen. However, I think a lot of the pieces to the puzzle are in place in Cincinnati.
April 29, 200917 yr I'm not here to point fingers at each other. I'm simply saying that I don't think the Bengals draft was as good as some think. And even if it is, I'm not so sure that will have a huge impact this season. I think they'll still finish 3rd or 4th in their division. I think it was a very good draft, something not often said about the Bengals. It certainly gives us all more hope, but nobody thinks it will be some miracle change in our record next year. Drafting well is the most important part of building a team.
April 29, 200917 yr What would you like a break on? The Bengals acquired a ton of talent this draft & filled a lot of needs. They were hit hard by injuries last year, yet their defense was solid. They had a very young defense, who will be a year older & more mature (hopefully). Add some more talent to the roster, and you've got a good recipe for success. The difference this year for the Bengals is that these young players aren't going to be the key players on either side of the ball. With the exception of Andre Smith - who will most likely play RT. When you combine those factors with the relatively weak schedule & you've got a recipe for success. Whether or not it works out well remains to be seen. However, I think a lot of the pieces to the puzzle are in place in Cincinnati. What would you like a break on? A lot of teams acquired talent in the draft (other than Dallas IMO) :lol:. Add some more talent, where? Where do you expect to get more talent from? My question is this. Since they lost TJ, did they add enough talent in the draft to improve all that much upon the 32nd ranked offense in the league? I don't think it will be all that much better.
April 29, 200917 yr I think it was a very good draft, something not often said about the Bengals. It certainly gives us all more hope, but nobody thinks it will be some miracle change in our record next year. Drafting well is the most important part of building a team. I agree that the draft is very important. I just don't think their draft was as good as some think. It looks good right now, just not great IMO. It could turnout to be outstanding for all I know.
April 29, 200917 yr What would you like a break on? A lot of teams acquired talent in the draft (other than Dallas IMO) :lol:. Add some more talent, where? Where do you expect to get more talent from? My question is this. Since they lost TJ, did they add enough talent in the draft to improve all that much upon the 32nd ranked offense in the league? I don't think it will be all that much better. Do you just repeat the 1st line of my post? I'd like a break from reading you tell anyone & everyone how Bengals fans should not be excited about the draft because nobody really knows how it will turn out. That's what I would like a break on. I suppose that my post was a little unclear when I said "add some more talent." I was referring to adding more talent to the defense, which we did during the draft. Between Rey Maualuga & Charles Johnson, I think we addressed two of our biggest needs. Rey will provide the hard-hitting linebacker & some much needed recklessness to our D. CJ will provide a pass rusher off the edge to compliment Geathers. It also helps that he won't be needed on non-passing downs since that seems to be his biggest weakness, assuming Antwan Odom is healthy. To answer your question regarding the offense. That is a very valid question, as the offense was miserable last season. But, as I am sure you're aware, we played virtually all of last season with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm. He has the arm strength of Mike Hartline. He is now gone. We've added Carson Palmer back into the mix. We've replaced TJ with Lavernous Coles. Andre Caldwell really came on last season. And if Chris Henry can keep his hands clean, then the WR corps still ranks as one of the tops in the league. Finally, Cedric Benson will have a full year's work with the Bengals. He was added mid-year last season, and did not really come on until late. He will be the starter from Day 1 & I think he's capable of putting together a solid season in this offense.
April 29, 200917 yr I only have 2 concerns about the Bengals this year: 1. Bob Bratkowski is still calling plays on offense. 2. Leon Hall may be suspended for the 1st 4 games.
April 29, 200917 yr Franchising the kicker may have actually been a great move too. They weren't using it on anyone else and they get him for a price that isn't bad. They didn't have to give him a signing bonus and a long term deal to keep him. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
April 29, 200917 yr Now see, that is not what I needed to hear! :irked: My brain cannot fully fit into my reality the thought that the Bengals could have made no true boneheaded decisions. Um, they drafted a punter. I don't care if it's Ray Guy, that's a stupid freakin' move.
April 29, 200917 yr Give me a break. Obviously nothing in the draft is a sure thing; however, people have been analyzing the draft for years & a lot of people have make a living off of it. It just so happens that those same people seem to agree that the Bengals had a great draft. There is no denying that the Bengals acquired a lot of talent in this year's draft. If I recall correctly, the talking heads were raving about the Bengals getting Ki-Jana and Big Daddy Wilkinson, among other lowlights.
April 29, 200917 yr Do you just repeat the 1st line of my post? I'd like a break from reading you tell anyone & everyone how Bengals fans should not be excited about the draft because nobody really knows how it will turn out. That's what I would like a break on. I suppose that my post was a little unclear when I said "add some more talent." I was referring to adding more talent to the defense, which we did during the draft. Between Rey Maualuga & Charles Johnson, I think we addressed two of our biggest needs. Rey will provide the hard-hitting linebacker & some much needed recklessness to our D. CJ will provide a pass rusher off the edge to compliment Geathers. It also helps that he won't be needed on non-passing downs since that seems to be his biggest weakness, assuming Antwan Odom is healthy. To answer your question regarding the offense. That is a very valid question, as the offense was miserable last season. But, as I am sure you're aware, we played virtually all of last season with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm. He has the arm strength of Mike Hartline. He is now gone. We've added Carson Palmer back into the mix. We've replaced TJ with Lavernous Coles. Andre Caldwell really came on last season. And if Chris Henry can keep his hands clean, then the WR corps still ranks as one of the tops in the league. Finally, Cedric Benson will have a full year's work with the Bengals. He was added mid-year last season, and did not really come on until late. He will be the starter from Day 1 & I think he's capable of putting together a solid season in this offense. :laugh: I was thinking the exact same thing, lol. Anyway, the Bengals had a good draft.
April 29, 200917 yr Do you just repeat the 1st line of my post? I'd like a break from reading you tell anyone & everyone how Bengals fans should not be excited about the draft because nobody really knows how it will turn out. That's what I would like a break on. I suppose that my post was a little unclear when I said "add some more talent." I was referring to adding more talent to the defense, which we did during the draft. Between Rey Maualuga & Charles Johnson, I think we addressed two of our biggest needs. Rey will provide the hard-hitting linebacker & some much needed recklessness to our D. CJ will provide a pass rusher off the edge to compliment Geathers. It also helps that he won't be needed on non-passing downs since that seems to be his biggest weakness, assuming Antwan Odom is healthy. To answer your question regarding the offense. That is a very valid question, as the offense was miserable last season. But, as I am sure you're aware, we played virtually all of last season with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm. He has the arm strength of Mike Hartline. He is now gone. We've added Carson Palmer back into the mix. We've replaced TJ with Lavernous Coles. Andre Caldwell really came on last season. And if Chris Henry can keep his hands clean, then the WR corps still ranks as one of the tops in the league. Finally, Cedric Benson will have a full year's work with the Bengals. He was added mid-year last season, and did not really come on until late. He will be the starter from Day 1 & I think he's capable of putting together a solid season in this offense. No. I did repeat the lines, but I meant what I said. If you don't want to read my posts, then don't read them. Am I not allowed to disagree with you? :lol: I did not know I had to love every thing the Bengals do. I never intended to tell anyone not to get excited. I simply wanted to convey my message, which is that the Bengals won't be that much better this season because of the 2009 draft. However that is just my opinion and it could very well be wrong. As for "Charles Johnson" I'm assuming you mean Michael Johnson. He looks like he could potentially be great, but based on what I've read he doesn't always put in his best effort. Maybe the Bengals can change that...but IMO they're going to need a lot more than Michael Johnson to help that nonexistent pass rush. Did anyone on their team have more than 3 sacks all year? Replacing TJ with Coles is an obvious downgrade IMO. Coles isn't the player he used to be. Chad, while still productive, isn't the same either IMO. As for Chris Henry, I don't know what to expect from him. I wouldn't call the Bengals WR core one of the best in the league.
April 29, 200917 yr No. I did repeat the lines, but I meant what I said. If you don't want to read my posts, then don't read them. Am I not allowed to disagree with you? :lol: I did not know I had to love every thing the Bengals do. I never intended to tell anyone not to get excited. I simply wanted to convey my message, which is that the Bengals won't be that much better this season because of the 2009 draft. However that is just my opinion and it could very well be wrong. As for "Charles Johnson" I'm assuming you mean Michael Johnson. He looks like he could potentially be great, but based on what I've read he doesn't always put in his best effort. Maybe the Bengals can change that...but IMO they're going to need a lot more than Michael Johnson to help that nonexistent pass rush. Did anyone on their team have more than 3 sacks all year? Replacing TJ with Coles is an obvious downgrade IMO. Coles isn't the player he used to be. Chad, while still productive, isn't the same either IMO. As for Chris Henry, I don't know what to expect from him. I wouldn't call the Bengals WR core one of the best in the league. I didn't say I don't want to read your posts. That's the typical :isurrender: response on a message board. I read a lot of your posts & enjoy most of them. Even those that I disagree with, I respect. It's obvious you have a passion for football, and that's great. Without looking up the stats, I have no idea who led the team in sacks last year. I do know that Robert Geathers was out for a significant portion of the year, as well as Antwan Odom (our "big" offseason FA signing). Both should be healthy this year. I also know that Michael (or Charles ) Johnson is going to provide speed off of the edge. It's almost too obvious that, since we didn't have many sacks last year, Johnson will help a ton. I don't think you can dismiss how much having Palmer sidelined hurt the Bengals. He'll be back this year & Cedric Benson will be here from Day 1. Those are both two huge positives for this team. A few weeks before the preseason last year, Big Willie & Rudi were released. That left the team in shambles. This year, that won't happen (although I'd love to see Levi Jones go...) Losing TJ diminishes our talent level -- no doubt about that. But one of the problems in the past has been the lack of leadership in the Bengals lockerroom. TJ & #85 fed off of each other's complaining / behavior, IMO. TJ took his stats with him, but he also took his attitude. We've replaced that with Coles, who I've always thought highly of. He's also a professional, which could go a long way for this team. I stand by my statement that the Bengals have one of the most talented groups of WR in the league. Who would you place above them?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.