Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Conner 30 Cooper 7

Featured Replies

Are we sure on this score?? Both the KHSAA and the Enquirer have it as 17-7 in 5 innings.:confused:

 

Going to guess they were just being polite in inputting the minimum score to qualify as a run-rule.

Going to guess they were just being polite in inputting the minimum score to qualify as a run-rule.

 

Must be a change this year. They listed the 58-0 win last year for Anderson County over Eminence.

Must be a change this year. They listed the 58-0 win last year for Anderson County over Eminence.

 

It is the score, if not worse!!! Cooper beat Villa on Saturday 20 something to zero and it was listed as 10-0... which is the correct thing to do IMO.

I also might add the class that Coach Bieger showed against Villa. After the score reached around 10-0 Cooper kids continued to hit balls to the fence but everyone moved one base at a time. I heard some of Villa's parents remarking about the class Coach Bieger showed, as well as the Cooper kids.

I also might add the class that Coach Bieger showed against Villa. After the score reached around 10-0 Cooper kids continued to hit balls to the fence but everyone moved one base at a time. I heard some of Villa's parents remarking about the class Coach Bieger showed, as well as the Cooper kids.

 

IMO all of the Conner players hit the ball hard. There were two homeruns in the first inning one by Brake and a grandslam by Pugh. :banana:I think the players should be rewarded for hitting the ball to the fence. IMO taking one base at a time is more embarassing to a team then playing the way you should.:deadhorse:

IMO all of the Conner players hit the ball hard. There were two homeruns in the first inning one by Brake and a grandslam by Pugh. :banana:I think the players should be rewarded for hitting the ball to the fence. IMO taking one base at a time is more embarassing to a team then playing the way you should.:deadhorse:

 

My comments weren't meant as a negative to the Conner kids, and in the first inning you are correct. Check previous post on comments of running up the score. I do not think they did this, they hit the ball well as an experienced team should do to pitchers throwing the speed Cooper was throwing.

IMO all of the Conner players hit the ball hard. There were two homeruns in the first inning one by Brake and a grandslam by Pugh. :banana:I think the players should be rewarded for hitting the ball to the fence. IMO taking one base at a time is more embarassing to a team then playing the way you should.:deadhorse:

 

I agree totally. As a coach I see it more embarrassing for you to one hop the center field fence for a single. Of course that's just my opinion. I think it's be wrong to stretch it to a triple or something but if it's a stand up double take it.

Sometimes when you concentrate on not running up the score, your team actually looks like they are trying to run up the score. The leading team's players start playing nonchalantly to the point of joking around. This will look like running up the score which is actually trying to do the opposite. As a head coach in AABc baseball' if my team was winning by this much; my players would always take two strikes before swinging. In contrast, my teams have also been on the losing side and I've explained to my players that our team was the only concern of mine and so it should be their concern.

Not when it's 20-3...its called not running up the score. I have been around baseball for near 40 years, and was fortunate to play at a very high level, and that is the usual way to handle a blowout. It's not being cocky but trying to ease the pain of a team having a rough day. You also have the players not say a word, but sometimes coaches don't enforce that strong enough either.

 

Just because that is the way most teams handle it, doesn't mean its the best way to handle it. I have been on both sides of it before, and well when I was on the bad side of it. It was even more embarrassing when the other team would just go base to base on a really good hit. I mean its bad enough that your getting beat, but then to basically have other team feel so sorry for you that they go base to base that is more embarrassing IMO. If someone hits the ball to the fence, and could get a stand up double out of it then they should take it. I mean yeah you shouldn't try to stretch it even further to where you have to be sliding into the base to get an extra base. However if you have a good enough hit, then you should go for that double. Or if the team has a passed ball, or an error then you should be able to advance.

 

The whole base to base thing is really embarrassing for the other team IMO. There is other ways you can go about trying not to run up the score. Have your kids take one strike. Tell your kids to basically go up there with a two strike approach, and if its close at all swing. So your going to have guys swing at pitches that might not be the best so they might miss. Obviously have your backups in the game. Or anything like that can be a good way to not run the score up as much, but also not make it as embarrassing for a team watching the other team just have to go base to base on you. By just going base to base, its also going to make the defensive team lose even more effort then as well. I mean ball in the gap, people wont try as hard because would know a team is just going base to base. The whole base to base thing is just more embarrassing for teams IMO. Now maybe if they were still in knothole where they are young still, then yeah probably be fine. However in high school, I think the base to base thing is not the right thing to do.

Well, we agree on everything except turning a double into a single. You say keep it as a double, just don't stretch it, thats fine. Like I said I have seen it done that way for almost 40 years and that is at all levels through high school. I never had to see it done at the college level as I am sure such blowouts rarely happen. Also, as I stated earlier, the real issues I have are stealing, taking extra bases, and the continuing of whooping it up (showing up the other team). In the end all the coach needs to do is show common sense and make sure your team shows great sportsmanship.

 

Just because that is the way most teams handle it, doesn't mean its the best way to handle it. I have been on both sides of it before, and well when I was on the bad side of it. It was even more embarrassing when the other team would just go base to base on a really good hit. I mean its bad enough that your getting beat, but then to basically have other team feel so sorry for you that they go base to base that is more embarrassing IMO. If someone hits the ball to the fence, and could get a stand up double out of it then they should take it. I mean yeah you shouldn't try to stretch it even further to where you have to be sliding into the base to get an extra base. However if you have a good enough hit, then you should go for that double. Or if the team has a passed ball, or an error then you should be able to advance.

 

The whole base to base thing is really embarrassing for the other team IMO. There is other ways you can go about trying not to run up the score. Have your kids take one strike. Tell your kids to basically go up there with a two strike approach, and if its close at all swing. So your going to have guys swing at pitches that might not be the best so they might miss. Obviously have your backups in the game. Or anything like that can be a good way to not run the score up as much, but also not make it as embarrassing for a team watching the other team just have to go base to base on you. By just going base to base, its also going to make the defensive team lose even more effort then as well. I mean ball in the gap, people wont try as hard because would know a team is just going base to base. The whole base to base thing is just more embarrassing for teams IMO. Now maybe if they were still in knothole where they are young still, then yeah probably be fine. However in high school, I think the base to base thing is not the right thing to do.

they always say one day what comes around goes around.

Me personally I would get offended if it was obvious that there not trying to show my team up by taking one base at a time.

 

Its the teams job that's getting blown out to get better, and if there coach wants them to get better they need to play some quality competition and learn and taste how that beating felt and carry it over into practice.

 

I can see both sides its just I rather finish the game and not having the team just give my team outs to get the game over quicker.

Sometimes when you concentrate on not running up the score, your team actually looks like they are trying to run up the score. The leading team's players start playing nonchalantly to the point of joking around. This will look like running up the score which is actually trying to do the opposite. As a head coach in AABc baseball' if my team was winning by this much; my players would always take two strikes before swinging. In contrast, my teams have also been on the losing side and I've explained to my players that our team was the only concern of mine and so it should be their concern.

 

What good would this do exactly? A good part of blowout games is caused by the fact that the losing team simply does not have any quality pitching to throw and put many hitters on base via BB and HBP. I can't imagine how standing there waiting for the other team's #9 pitcher to throw two strikes is going to help anything.

 

A much better approach - and one I've mentioned in other threads - is this. Have each hitter go up to the plate and give him the hit and run. Unless the pitch is unhittable (in the dirt, in the eyes, way off the plate), the hitters should work on hitting the opposite way. Obviously, any runners on base would NOT be running on the pitch. The benefits of this are many: 1) hitting the opposite way ala hit and run will greatly reduce the power hitting, which is certainly not needed at that point in the game; 2) gets hitters swinging at pitches and the game moving along; 3) at least gives the opponents an idea where the ball might be hit (and yes, I would confidentially mention to the other coach what you wwere dong - whether he chooses to use that information is his decision); and 4) it actually would serve some meaningful purpose for the winning team.

 

And lastly, if the winning team is joking around, laughing about the score, and disrespecting their opponent, that falls squarely on the shoulders of the winning team's coaching staff, not the players.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.