Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Top Players in the 9th Region?

Featured Replies

Bomb Squad, you've certainly made your point clearly to me. I think its a "semantics" issue though. I could be wrong but I interpreted the "big time" to be not a comment on the level of D1 basketball these schools are in but , rather, "big time" as in "hey, its D1."

 

As to your point about the investment required, at least two of the posters on here can attest to that. I'm sure they will agree that it was worth it both financially as well as from a lifetime of memories viewpoint. Call it a Return on Investment.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bomb Squad, you've certainly made your point clearly to me. I think its a "semantics" issue though. I could be wrong but I interpreted the "big time" to be not a comment on the level of D1 basketball these schools are in but , rather, "big time" as in "hey, its D1."

 

As to your point about the investment required, at least two of the posters on here can attest to that. I'm sure they will agree that it was worth it both financially as well as from a lifetime of memories viewpoint. Call it a Return on Investment.

 

 

Bullseye Clyde, It is a ride I wouldn't have missed for the world scholarship or not!

Panda is correct. While alot of kids these days are getting into trouble every weekend, AAU basketball, club soccer and club volleyball have a big impact on how these athletes live their lives. Not only do they get the opportunity to spend a ton of quality time with their parents, they have a limited amount of "down" time to get into trouble. I have never viewed all the time and money put into high level athletics as an "expense". To me, its giving your child the opportunity to play at the highest level they choose to play. Attending these games over the years is no different than playing golf or going fishing every weekend. It's an enjoyable experience. And for the record, a "full ride" to a D1 school (including food, books, housing and tuition) is worth a lot more money than anyone is going to spend on AAU or club teams.

Panda is correct. While alot of kids these days are getting into trouble every weekend, AAU basketball, club soccer and club volleyball have a big impact on how these athletes live their lives. Not only do they get the opportunity to spend a ton of quality time with their parents, they have a limited amount of "down" time to get into trouble. I have never viewed all the time and money put into high level athletics as an "expense". To me, its giving your child the opportunity to play at the highest level they choose to play. Attending these games over the years is no different than playing golf or going fishing every weekend. It's an enjoyable experience. And for the record, a "full ride" to a D1 school (including food, books, housing and tuition) is worth a lot more money than anyone is going to spend on AAU or club teams.

 

You're using the same old tactic:

 

If you don't like the topic - then try to redirect the topic to one that everyone can agree with.

 

I never said that AAU costs would exceed what you would expect to pay for a college education.

 

I did say these expenses should be considered when determining just how much that "free" education actually cost.

 

I completely agree with what "Clyde" had to say on the subject.

 

The scholarship should be viewed as a Return on your Investment.

 

There was an up-front expense.

 

In most cases, the parents of a "free ride" recipient have already spent approximately 1/3 of what they would have spent on a college education.

 

So, the "free ride" title is a bit of a misnomer.

 

Question:

 

What if "Obscure University" does not offer the major that the kid really wanted to pursue?

 

What does the kid do then?

 

Pursue choice #2? Choice #3? Etc.

 

For example: Do they become a teacher (choice #3) instead of a doctor (choice #1)?

 

The world does not need another disgruntled teacher.

Why can't we just say that any student/athlete that has part, or all, of their college education payed for has made a major accomplishment?

 

I remember when a player that got the opportunity to play any sport at the collegiate level was revealed as a great athlete, and congratulated for a great accomplishment.

 

Now, if a player gets the same opportunity, people want to argue about if it is a Major D1 college, a Minor D1 college, a D2 college, or what ever.

 

It is a great accomplishment, why must people diminish it?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.