Rick Warren's Prayer

Plato

I'm listening to the prayer from Rick Warren now. I really liked his Purpose Driven Life stuff, but this speech/prayer had little profound and much commonality.

I was hoping for a new and fresh perspective on things.

I didn't think it was bad, just not all that inspiring.

By simply mentioning Jesus' name, he did something that most cannot/do not/don't have the guts enough to do.

Simple act that should be inspiring to all.

In the face of attacks, do not be afraid to invoke the name of the Lord, Jesus Christ.

I had the invocaton on Saturday night for a ceremonial swearing in of new Congressman Tom Periello. I finished my prayer with the name of Jesus. A lady from Episcopal background chastised me later for it. She said she would have merely prayed to and in the name of the living God to include all others. I told her I appreciated that thought and believe all have the right to lead and pray as they see fit. I however will pray in the name of Christ because that is who my prayer is through and whom I believe is my Savior.

If I can't pray my convictions in public, I won't be praying. Sorry.

I had the invocaton on Saturday night for a ceremonial swearing in of new Congressman Tom Periello. I finished my prayer with the name of Jesus. A lady from Episcopal background chastised me later for it. She said she would have merely prayed to and in the name of the living God to include all others. I told her I appreciated that thought and believe all have the right to lead and pray as they see fit. I however will pray in the name of Christ because that is who my prayer is through and whom I believe is my Savior.

If I can't pray my convictions in public, I won't be praying. Sorry.

Never have I read a post that I was more pleased to have read.:thumb:

Keep on witnessing while many of you will call on you to stop and may even go as far as calling you an intolerant bigot.

Plato, I guess that I would have expected what you were seeking from Rick Warren if he were delivering a sermon. But, as a prayer, I'm not sure that I would expect anything new. I guess I'm innured in the Catholic traditions of traditional prayer...ie Hail Mary, etc.

Never have I read a post that I was more pleased to have read.:thumb:

Keep on witnessing while many of you will call on you to stop and may even go as far as calling you an intolerant bigot.

I've been called worse. I am open to other's having their opinion, for it is their's. I'm more concerned with my own responsibility and relationship with Christ. Thanks for the words. :thumb:

I've been called worse. I am open to other's having their opinion, for it is their's. I'm more concerned with my own responsibility and relationship with Christ. Thanks for the words. :thumb:

Me, too.

And that mindset has been leading me to a thread and your statement was the last straw on that camel's back.

Plato, I guess that I would have expected what you were seeking from Rick Warren if he were delivering a sermon. But, as a prayer, I'm not sure that I would expect anything new. I guess I'm innured in the Catholic traditions of traditional prayer...ie Hail Mary, etc.

I'm with you, rockmom. I prefer the more traditional Hail Mary, Our Father, etc. prayer approach. Maybe it is the Catholic thing.

I wasn't able to listen intently to Rick Warren's prayer, although I did see him give it and heard parts. Overall, I thought it went well.

I'm with you, rockmom. I prefer the more traditional Hail Mary, Our Father, etc. prayer approach. Maybe it is the Catholic thing.

I wasn't able to listen intently to Rick Warren's prayer, although I did see him give it and heard parts. Overall, I thought it went well.

He did say the Lord's Prayer.

He did say the Lord's Prayer.

I understand. I just don't think that prayer is a time to "editorialize" (is that a word?). I think of prayer as giving thanks, a plea for His Grace, but not a time to "teach". (I don't think I'm adequately expressing my thoughts.)

I understand. I just don't think that prayer is a time to "editorialize" (is that a word?). I think of prayer as giving thanks, a plea for His Grace, but not a time to "teach". (I don't think I'm adequately expressing my thoughts.)

I disagree. I think you can teach with prayer. Read Jesus' prayers for his followers. Lot of teaching going on in it.