Fear 'Les' 13th Region Rankings - Jan. 9

Les

The 6-10 teams could be tossed in a hat.

Fear 'Les' 13th Region Ratings

Boys Top 5

1. Corbin (11-2 overall, 7-1 against 13th Region foes)

What’s the scoop: The Redhounds are rolling.

Since their loss to Covington Scott in the first round of the Hometown Bank Hoopin-It-Up-Classic, Tony Pietrowski’s squad has been tough to handle. Corbin’s win streak has reached eight games and to be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Redhounds win the rest of their regular season games.

Surprise, surprise: Corbin continues to mature each game and that does nothing but spell trouble for opposing teams. The Redhounds are showing just how solid of a team they are. Corbin is the deepest team in the 13th Region and with the way Josh Smith and company have been playing lately, I don’t know if anyone in the region can match-up with the likes of the Redhounds’ starting five.

What’s ahead: Corbin will be in action Friday on the road against 50th District foe Williamsburg before traveling to Lexington Catholic Saturday to face-off against Lexington Christian in the Nissan Shoot-out.

2. South Laurel (9-3, 3-2)

What’s the scoop: If South Laurel can develop some bench play, the Cardinals can be a dangerous team. It’s only January and if this is like any other South Laurel team I have watched in the past, the Cardinals won’t begin to peak until mid-February.

Surprise, surprise: Matt St. John continues to improve his credentials of playing basketball at the Division I level. He led the Cumberland Falls Invitational by averaging a double-double during his three games.

He averaged 28.3 points per game and had rebound highs of 16 and 15 in separate games. If he can get some consistent help on the floor, the Cardinals might have a chance to capture their fifth region title in a row.

What’s ahead: South Laurel travels to play 50th District foe Whitley County Friday before participating in the Kentucky Preps Classic Saturday against Mr. Basketball favorite John Hood and Madisonville-North Hopkins.

3. Knox Central (7-6, 6-2)

What’s the scoop: I don’t care about the Panthers’ 22-point loss to Clay County a couple of weeks back, I’m still putting Knox Central at the No. 3 spot. The Panthers are the only 13th Region team that has beaten No. 1 ranked Corbin.

Surprise, surprise: Knox Central ran its win-streak to three games after going through a four-game slump during late December. The Panthers have played the toughest schedule in the region so far and that will only make them better in the long run.

What’s ahead: Knox Central will be back in action Friday at home against Pineville and will have a week off before hosting Rockcastle County on Jan. 16.

4. Clay County (7-5, 1-2)

What’s the scoop: The Tigers picked up a big 22-point win over Knox Central in the Defender of the Station tournament a couple of weeks back, but the Tigers remain at the No. 4 spot.

Surprise, surprise: Clay County started the season 2-5, but the Tigers are winners of five straight and are now above .500 (7-6) for the first time since Dec. 13, 2008.

What’s ahead: Clay County will be participating in the WYMT Mountain Classic the remainder of this week.

5. Middlesboro (10-1, 4-0)

What’s the scoop: The Yellow Jackets might be the class of the All A teams in the 13th Region this season. Bill Jones’ squad has strung together an impressive seven-game win streak.

Surprise, surprise: Middlesboro is the only team left in the 13th Region that is undefeated against region opposition at 4-0, but the one thing that really bothers me about this team is the lack of competition the Yellow Jackets have played. Other than their 69-56 win over a sub-par Harlan County squad and an 82-64 win over Barbourville, there hasn’t been much to brag about for Jones’ squad.

What’s ahead: The Yellow Jackets will be back in action on Jan. 10 at home against Harlan County and will play Leslie County for the second time this season on Jan. 13. Middlesboro will have a home date with rival Bell County on Jan. 14 before getting their first test of the season on Jan. 17 against Knox Central.

The Best of the rest

No. 6 Whitley County (6-7, 5-2)

What’s the scoop: The Colonels are a talented team and don’t be surprised to see if they give South Laurel a run for its money Friday.

No. 7 Pineville (10-6, 7-2)

What’s the scoop: The Mountain Lions are turning into a very dangerous team in the 13th Region.

No. 8 Harlan County (6-6, 2-3)

What’s the scoop: Josh Caldwell is a solid player, but I’m not sure just how good the Black Bears are going to be this season.

No. 9 (tie) Barbourville (4-8, 3-4)

What’s the scoop: The Tigers did pick up an impressive win over North Laurel during the holiday break.

No. 9 (tie) Bell County (4-6, 1-3)

What’s the scoop: I’m not sold on Bell County. The Bobcats just aren’t a strong offensive team.

No. 9 (tie) Williamsburg (5-8, 2-6)

What’s the scoop: The Yellow Jackets have talent, but they need to play as a team to be successful.

Looks pretty fair to me Les. I like the rankings. I agree that Corbin is the clear cut favorite and should win out. However, there are many things that teams should do and wind up falling short. I think while Corbin is clearly a better team than South, the Cards could sneak up and upset the Hounds at some point. I have a feeling these two teams will meet up 3 more times counting post season. Corbin's starting 5 is definitely better as a whole but that could change if St. John has a hot night and is able to get Manns, Crawford, or both in foul trouble. With that said, the rankings are pretty much spot on. Like we have agreed before, rankings are pretty much talking points for fans and don't mean squat until it's all said and done but I like em.

Thanks, Hank.

It's hard to rank those last five to six teams.

Exactly what I was thinking, I'm pretty much right on with you on the first five. The second five gets a little fuzzy as to which team belongs where.

Thanks, Hank.

It's hard to rank those last five to six teams.

That's why you tied three of them, but I've done that before, too.

It looks really close to how I'd rank them. I'd get North around seventh or eighth. I'd probably flip Clay and KC, and I'd put Bell a little higher, but I'll let you know for sure after seeing them tonight.

Thanks addout and HDE.

North could and maybe should be in there because they do have talent, but they are just not playing well right now. I know they Williamsburg and maybe should be where the Yellow Jackets are. The Clay/Knox switch I could see, but I've not been highly impressed with Clay at times, but they did win by 22. Bell, looks offensively challenged to me right now.

It is very hard to rank the teams 2-10. From what I've seen, and what everyone else has mentioned, Corbin is the best team in the region. But, the teams that are ranked 2-10 could beat each other on any given night, in my opinion.

I've seen South play like they are the second best team, but I've also seen them play like they should be in the bottom half of the top ten!

Also, I think Harlan County should beat Bell County tonight. I wasn't impressed in the least with Bell.

I think Les could use some help from some of his writers when he composes the top ten...JUST KIDDING!!!

I think Corbin (1) is way ahead of the rest

South (2) and Knox Central (3) present match up problems for most teams

Clay (4) plays hard

Whitley (5) gets over looked by many plays hard and has some kids really stepping up, plus schedule has been tough

Middlesboro (6) is just ahead of the next few teams

Pineville (7) has a great coach and a great player in James David Strange

Barbourville (8) has a great coach who gets the most out of his players

Harlan Co (9) coming together and going to better as the season plays out

Bell Co (10) Lewis Morris makes them the best of the rest