Nelson County Coaching Job

You would think a program of this caliber and potential after going 12-29 in the last four years would have evaluated this situation a little different. Maybe by going inside this sends a clear message to young men that play football (If you want to play for a championship/go to Bardstown), or maybe someone else was offered and did not except because of the shaky administrative situation within the entire school district. If you look at the total picture if you were offered the position chances are you would not be working for the same admistration that is there now. Best of Luck to the new

coach and most of all to the community and the players.

Your friend in sports

I thought that they would have went after a head coach to revive the program. Good Luck Cards no disrespect to the new coach good luck as well.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think a program of this caliber and potential after going 12-29 in the last four years would have evaluated this situation a little different. Maybe by going inside this sends a clear message to young men that play football (If you want to play for a championship/go to Bardstown), or maybe someone else was offered and did not except because of the shaky administrative situation within the entire school district. If you look at the total picture if you were offered the position chances are you would not be working for the same admistration that is there now. Best of Luck to the new

coach and most of all to the community and the players.

Your friend in sports

I thought that they would have went after a head coach to revive the program. Good Luck Cards no disrespect to the new coach good luck as well.

I think the idea is that the new coach will be continuing the rebuilding started under Bruner. NC went 0-10 in '05, and from everything I've been told, he stepped into a mess deeper than just the 0-10 record, but still won his first game (the '06 season opener). They had high hopes for this past season, but didn't take the big step forward they had hoped, and that might've played into Bruner's decision to leave. It's not like he was forced out.

If they were going to hire one of the asst. coaches, why did they bother to even open the job and waste other people's time.I find it hard to believe that he was the defensive co-ordinator at Scott County when he was 24-25-26 years old.I wish him the best of luck in his new job but I noticed that he didn't have any children yet . I've seen plenty of guys quit coaching once they had kids and the boss put her foot down. Isn't this what happened with the last coach

If they were going to hire one of the asst. coaches, why did they bother to even open the job and waste other people's time.I find it hard to believe that he was the defensive co-ordinator at Scott County when he was 24-25-26 years old.I wish him the best of luck in his new job but I noticed that he didn't have any children yet . I've seen plenty of guys quit coaching once they had kids and the boss put her foot down. Isn't this what happened with the last coach

If you're talking about Coach Bruner, then yes, juggling family time was cited as one of the reasons he resigned.

But I have to ask another question: Is it a bad thing in your eyes for family to outpace football on the priority meter?

After reading the article and now having the understanding of the back stabbing that was apparently taking place in the program I would say when the new principal is hired that they will take a step and hire someone that has the dignity to say positive thing about people that they have worked with. After reading this I have lost a lot or respect for the program.

Again, Good Luck

I have seen plenty of coaches who's "Boss" doesn't dicatate what they do for a living. I also have more respect for a guy who wants to be a great father rather than putting his kids on the back burner to be a great coach! I think most coaches would agree that family is the second priority (Faith probably being first). With football being 3rd or 4th. Most coach's wives support the game or they probably never would have gotten into coaching in the first place. "The Boss" didn't have anything to do with Bart giving up his post-he is a GREAT father to his kids and I am sure wants to be more known as dad than coach. I can completely understand his and many other GREAT dad's decisions to be a definative figure in their children's lives. That's just my point of view. :thumb:

After reading the article and now having the understanding of the back stabbing that was apparently taking place in the program I would say when the new principal is hired that they will take a step and hire someone that has the dignity to say positive thing about people that they have worked with. After reading this I have lost a lot or respect for the program.

Again, Good Luck

I didn't sense any of that in the article. Any coach wants to give the impression that they want to improve the program. Nothing wrong with saying what he did. IMO

I have seen plenty of coaches who's "Boss" doesn't dicatate what they do for a living. I also have more respect for a guy who wants to be a great father rather than putting his kids on the back burner to be a great coach! I think most coaches would agree that family is the second priority (Faith probably being first). With football being 3rd or 4th. Most coach's wives support the game or they probably never would have gotten into coaching in the first place. "The Boss" didn't have anything to do with Bart giving up his post-he is a GREAT father to his kids and I am sure wants to be more known as dad than coach. I can completely understand his and many other GREAT dad's decisions to be a definative figure in their children's lives. That's just my point of view. :thumb:

Great post. :thumb:

Maybe you did not read my earlier post. I think it is great that they got a new coach and did it in a timely manner. However, Coach Mason as well as Bruner as well as Spalding in my opinion did good jobs as I elluded to earlier. I feel Coach Spalding was a victim of a successful program going through a down cycle, but an excellent coach. The others the same, not much success

in Wins or Loses, but that is how the public measrues your program. If this guy is the missing link then go ahead and re-post the job, because if he does

not Win early he also will lose the players, because it is easy to see by remarks in the newspaper he did not support Bruner. Once again best of Luck to the players, the community and the program.

Maybe you did not read my earlier post. I think it is great that they got a new coach and did it in a timely manner. However, Coach Mason as well as Bruner as well as Spalding in my opinion did good jobs as I elluded to earlier. I feel Coach Spalding was a victim of a successful program going through a down cycle, but an excellent coach. The others the same, not much success

in Wins or Loses, but that is how the public measrues your program. If this guy is the missing link then go ahead and re-post the job, because if he does

not Win early he also will lose the players, because it is easy to see by remarks in the newspaper he did not support Bruner. Once again best of Luck to the players, the community and the program.

I think you are picking up more on the writer than anything else. Do you have any other source? This coach seems like someone that will carry on the same core beliefs Bruner instilled. Seems there is a lot of frustration coming from you.

Did you have any prospects for the position? What is NC doing wrong right now. Bruner had the program going in the right direction. Having a coach promoted within the staff seems like a good choice to keep the momentum going. What am I missing? Would you have preferred to interview no one and give it to the assistnat coach or interview many and make a more informed decision. What a minute...did you interview for it? ;)

You would think a program of this caliber and potential after going 12-29 in the last four years would have evaluated this situation a little different.

Nelson Co. is 40-59 since the year 2000. With 2 play-off victories in 7 appearences and 4 winning seasons(6-5 X 3 and 7-5). They were 97-31 from 90-99. I'm just saying...how good is Brown?

I'm saying how do these guys who have coached over 20 years do it and others can't.Why can some guys be great fathers as well as coaches.I've seen several guys who can't be both but others that can.What do they have that these other's don't have.If your going to hire an asst., don't open the job is all I'm saying.Three out of the last 4 coaches since Brown have been former asst's.

You would think a program of this caliber and potential after going 12-29 in the last four years would have evaluated this situation a little different.

Nelson Co. is 40-59 since the year 2000. With 2 play-off victories in 7 appearences and 4 winning seasons(6-5 X 3 and 7-5). They were 97-31 from 90-99. I'm just saying...how good is Brown?

Without getting into too many details that aren't anybody's business, those were the honey years when talent was at its all time prime. There, I believe, were a few kids that ended up at Nelson that probably were kids that should have been at Bardstown. Won't mention any names, because that just isn't really important but they found a way to live in Nelson's district. Brown is a VERY good coach, but talent sure did help. Brown new what he was doing when he moved on to a very good area in Hardin Co., wasn't hard to see what was ahead.

I'm saying how do these guys who have coached over 20 years do it and others can't.Why can some guys be great fathers as well as coaches.I've seen several guys who can't be both but others that can.What do they have that these other's don't have.If your going to hire an asst., don't open the job is all I'm saying.Three out of the last 4 coaches since Brown have been former asst's.

I think some years ago coach's had jobs that were more appropriate for coaches. Meaning they didn't have near the responsibilities in the classroom nor was there such a push (like we have today with NCLB) for results due to state assesment. 15-20 years ago a guy could get by with worksheets and assigning chapters...those days are extinct like the dinos. Now a teacher has a rigorous teaching schedule with extreme pressure to get test scores up. 15-20 years ago coaches didn't have as much pressure to WIN at all costs. Take these two things into account and the fact that many more wives have VERY ambitious careers and that leaves a guy getting home with 2 hours of preparing for classes-2 hours of film, and NO time for the fam.

This is not EVERY coach, some have the dream job where they are COACH first and TEACHER second. That leaves more time at school to do film (ex: ISS teachers) and game planning and more time at home to be dad. 15-20 years ago you didn't teach a 40 hour week-plan 10 hours a week-and work on football 25 hours a week. Something has to give somewhere and often times it's a coaches family that suffers until the divorce papers on the table. Not the case with Bart, the man decided to put family first...don't blame the guy. This is not the case with all guys who hang it up, some probably just burn out too quickly or become HC's too soon without really knowing what is involved.

As far as Nelson knowing they had their man and opening it up, perhaps they wanted to make it look OFFICIAL. Often times in Nelson Co it is a goat-rope-and pony show. Much like the firing of Bill Mason. I can say with all honesty that Bart came into a bad situation and has done a good job, but by no means was that bad situation a result of Coach Mason's doing. Good luck to the Cards and the new coach. ;)