Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ricky Henderson on HOF Ballot

Featured Replies

Like him or not, he should be a first ballot HOF inductee. He was the very definition of a lead off hitter. If you put just the numbers out there with no name beside it, how could anyone vote against what he accomplished?

 

He's for sure a first ballot HOF'er. But one of the best players of all time? I think thats nonsense.

 

 

 

In case anyone missed, here's the complete List of Players on the Ballot....

 

Harold Baines, Jay Bell, Bert Blyleven, David Cone, Andre Dawson, Ron Gant, Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Jesse Orosco, Dave Parker, Dan Plesac, Tim Raines, Jim Rice, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Greg Vaughn, Mo Vaughn, Matt Williams.

 

What say you, on these names?

 

 

Baines- No

Bell- No

Blyleven- Yes

Cone- No

Dawson- Yes

Gant, Grace- No

Henderson- Yes

Mattingly- Borderline, but I'll say no

McGwire- Nope

Morris, Murphy, Orosco, Parker, Plesac, Raines- No

Rice- Yes

Smith- Borderline, but I'll say no

Trammel, the Vaughns, and Williams- No

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
He's for sure a first ballot HOF'er. But one of the best players of all time? I think thats nonsense.
You're entitled to that opinion. How many Players, have produced the kind of numbers Henderson has.

 

His aspect of helping his teams win, was achieved through speed, base-running, getting on base and scoring runs.

 

Just the stat of Total Bases, it astounding to me.

You're entitled to that opinion. How many Players, have produced the kind of numbers Henderson has.

 

His aspect of helping his teams win, was achieved through speed, base-running, getting on base and scoring runs.

 

Just the stat of Total Bases, it astounding to me.

Bill James once said "If you split Rickey Henderson in two, then you would have two hall of famers"

 

(Then again, maybe Rickey said that)

4) This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

 

 

I laughed out loud on this one

4) This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

 

 

I laughed out loud on this one

 

It only gets better.

  • Author
Bill James once said "If you split Rickey Henderson in two, then you would have two hall of famers"

 

(Then again, maybe Rickey said that)

....:lol: I can only imagine, any conversation with Henderson.

Henderson deserves to be in based on his stolen bases alone, IMO.

You have to remember that Ricky isn't being compared to Ruth , Gehrig, or DiMaggio. He's being compared to leadoff hitters. Hands down the greatest leadoff hitter.

 

He's certainly in the discussion for top 10 or 20 greatest offensive players of all time. You can't ignore the impact he had.

  • Author
Henderson deserves to be in based on his stolen bases alone, IMO.
Here are some other bits of information, on Henderson.

 

4th - All time in Games Played

10th - All time in At-Bats

20th - All time in Hits

2nd - All time in Walks (behind Bonds)

81 - HR's to Leadoff (MLB record)

130 - SB's in one Season (MLB record)

 

What are the thoughts on McGwire making it?

You're entitled to that opinion. How many Players, have produced the kind of numbers Henderson has.

 

His aspect of helping his teams win, was achieved through speed, base-running, getting on base and scoring runs.

 

Just the stat of Total Bases, it astounding to me.

 

Well I'll list some of the best (IMO) with their total bases listed as well.

 

 

Willie Mays- 6,066 (275 TB/year)

Ted Williams- 4,884 (while missing 4 seasons in the prime may I remind you) (257 TB/year)

Stan Musial- 6,134 (278 TB/year)

Hank Aaron- 6,856 (298 TB/year)

Carl Yastremski- 5,539 (240 TB/year)

 

Those are just a few that I would say are the best of all-time.

 

Heres a few others:

 

Ken Griffey Jr.- 5,092 (254 TB/year)

Andre Dawson- 4,787 (227 TB/year)

Gary Sheffield- 4,616 (219 TB/year)

Craig Biggio- 4,711 (235 TB/year)

 

And then theres Rickey:

 

Rickey Henderon- 4,588 (183 TB/year)

 

Just pointing out that his Total Bases are not as shocking as one may seem?

What are the thoughts on McGwire making it?

 

Ever? Maybe.

This year? No chance. Too toxic right now.

As I said, he is hands-down a 1st Ballot HOF, however, I don't think he would make it in my top 20 players of all time list.

  • Author
Just pointing out that his Total Bases are not as shocking as one may seem?
From a guy, not considered a power hitter and who leadoff, is what I'm referring to, regarding Total Bases.

 

Combine the HR's, 2B's and it will add up quickly.

Henderson is a lead-pipe lock for the 2st ballot, and I think it is deserving. I'm hoping Dale Murphy get's in, if not this year, then hopefully next. He deserves it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.