Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC's Mertle gets 700th

Featured Replies

Congrats to Coach Jenny Mertle for winning her 700th career volleyball match against Logan Co. That was also her last victory. She is retiring after 30 years of coaching. The KHSAA honored Mertle before the state finals last night and she received a well earned standing ovation from the 2000+ people in attendance. Her very last match was against the the state's #1 team and #3 in the nation, Mercy. The Breds played Mercy very tough and hung with them until the very end, but, came up short. There was so much emotion after the her final match against Mercy that the NewCath faithful didn't leave the floor for nearly 45 minutes after the match ended. The NCC volleyball team saved their best performance for last yesterday. They didn't lose....they got beat. Yes, there is a difference!:thumb:

Congrats to Coach Jenny Mertle for winning her 700th career volleyball match against Logan Co. That was also her last victory. She is retiring after 30 years of coaching. The KHSAA honored Mertle before the state finals last night and she received a well earned standing ovation from the 2000+ people in attendance. Her very last match was against the the state's #1 team and #3 in the nation, Mercy. The Breds played Mercy very tough and hung with them until the very end, but, came up short. There was so much emotion after the her final match against Mercy that the NewCath faithful didn't leave the floor for nearly 45 minutes after the match ended. The NCC volleyball team saved their best performance for last yesterday. They didn't lose....they got beat. Yes, there is a difference!:thumb:
I was there it was almost as if we (NCC) had won . The Breds have nothing to be ashamed about their performance yesterday .

Congratulations to coach Myrtle. She has built an outstanding program and certainly deserved number 700.

NCC definitely was the winner this weekend....#l coach in the state ...a good example to all the girls on and off the court....you can't get any better....and about their playing...they were the team! (Gave Mercy a little scare I believe...they looked past NCC a little too quickly)

Here is an interesting fact . One of the players on Jenny (Niehaus) Mertles' first team at OLPA who was on the All tournament team in that first State Tournament has a daughter on this the last team that that Jenny coached . The daughter also was on the State tournament all tournament team and was the most valuable player in the 10th region tournament last week at Montgomery Co.. So mom played in Jenny's first win as a Coach and the daughter played in Jenny's last win as a Coach .

Congrats to the coach. From what I hear, Mercy-NCC was the best game of the tourney. Would have been great for it to be the final.

Congrats to the coach. From what I hear, Mercy-NCC was the best game of the tourney. Would have been great for it to be the final.

It was very competitive and exciting .

It was very competitive and exciting .

 

I believe you. I was just watching the stat tracker on KHSAA.com, and that was even exciting! ;)

 

I only live 2 minutes from Bellarmine, but I didn't want to fight the crowds that night. I guess I'm getting old!

The two minute drive and six dollar ticket would have been well worthwhile.

I'm going to miss watching NCC's big 3 seniors. WOW, 3 division I players on the same team. Might be the best NCC team in any sport ever.

  • Author
I'm going to miss watching NCC's big 3 seniors. WOW, 3 division I players on the same team. Might be the best NCC team in any sport ever.

 

Yes, there are 3 DI players and possibly a DII player as well. Don't forget about Freshman, Taylor Snyder, who will also play in college someday!

 

I have followed NCC volleyball for a loooonnnngggg time. This is by far the best NewCath volleyball team ever. For a single "A" school with approximately 200 girls to go up against a Louisville Mercy(500-600 girls) who is ranked #3 in the nation, and put a scare into them, is quite impressive.

Remember there were other seniors on that team that contributed.....the 'D1' players were only as good as their help on the floor.....

Remember there were other seniors on that team that contributed.....the 'D1' players were only as good as their help on the floor.....

You are certainly right. Michelle Woods had an OUTSTANDING season, as well as Hillary Leyland. As so often happens, the role players often get overlooked when there are other star players. However, if you ask the two players mentioned I'm sure they would say the other players and fans certainly realized the role they played, and made them aware of that.

  • Author
You are certainly right. Michelle Woods had an OUTSTANDING season, as well as Hillary Leyland. As so often happens, the role players often get overlooked when there are other star players. However, if you ask the two players mentioned I'm sure they would say the other players and fans certainly realized the role they played, and made them aware of that.

 

As well as the coaches!

With NCC it obviously took a team...every player, from the Freshman to the Seniors, they all worked hard and the coaches were great leaders....you could see what kind of team they were when they got together and made it happen at the State tournament. A great group of girls!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.