Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Phillies 3 Rays 2 (World Series Game #1)

Featured Replies

The Phillies get a win with their clear #1 starter. I think it's a good sign for the Rays. While I guess Kazmir is their #1, they have a lot more left. Also, I'm not sure Longoria, Upton and Pena have two off nights against the same pitcher. Upton left 5 on base. This is going to be a great series.

 

At least the Rays won't get swept, they get to face Moyer at some point.

 

Not sure how losing Game 1 @ Home is a good sign for any ball club? Also, Moyer had a fine season 16-7 with a 3.71 ERA. Still going with Phils in 6.

  • Replies 31
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, was that a balk when Hammels picked off Pena???

So, was that a balk when Hammels picked off Pena???
Could have gone, either way. Utley was the difference last night offensively. Disappointed, in the lack of hustle from Upton, on his check-swing and the DP, he grounded into.

 

Several times the camera zoomed in on Manuel and Madden, in their dugouts and they were very stoic, with little emotion.

You guys are going to miss a good series.

 

I think I'll survive.

I think I'll survive.

 

I'm still breathing :thumb:

So, was that a balk when Hammels picked off Pena???

 

Obviously I'm not as well versed as Strike3 on this, but I thought it was a balk. His first step was toward home, IMO. It was definitely more than a really good pick off move.

Could have gone, either way. Utley was the difference last night offensively. Disappointed, in the lack of hustle from Upton, on his check-swing and the DP, he grounded into.

 

Several times the camera zoomed in on Manuel and Madden, in their dugouts and they were very stoic, with little emotion.

 

I think Upton was caught off-guard that he made contact with the ball. But you're right that he was not sprinting to 1st base.

 

I commented on how very few baseball managers show a lot of emotion in the dugout. One of the things I love about baseball. So many managers are so hardcore.

Obviously I'm not as well versed as Strike3 on this, but I thought it was a balk. His first step was toward home, IMO. It was definitely more than a really good pick off move.

 

I got to see the replay in slow motion, but didn't get to see it in "real time". I wish that I would have.

 

Very close call.

Obviously I'm not as well versed as Strike3 on this, but I thought it was a balk. His first step was toward home, IMO. It was definitely more than a really good pick off move.
It did appear, his drive leg crossed the imaginary line. I would have been arguing for/against, depending what Dugout I was in.

 

I think Upton was caught off-guard that he made contact with the ball. But you're right that he was not sprinting to 1st base.

 

I commented on how very few baseball managers show a lot of emotion in the dugout. One of the things I love about baseball. So many managers are so hardcore.

When Utley his his HR, Manuel just watched it leave and didn't even change expressions.

 

Like you, a subtly of the game, I enjoy seeing.

I got to see the replay in slow motion, but didn't get to see it in "real time". I wish that I would have.

 

Very close call.

 

That's the key. In real time, I don't see how it wasn't called a balk.

Could have gone, either way. Utley was the difference last night offensively. Disappointed, in the lack of hustle from Upton, on his check-swing and the DP, he grounded into.

 

Several times the camera zoomed in on Manuel and Madden, in their dugouts and they were very stoic, with little emotion.

 

Watching it live, I thought he just nailed him. Then, watching the reply, I thought it should've been called a balk. It's definitely a call that could go either way. I did enjoy listening to Madden and the umpire discuss it between innings.

 

As for Upton, I was very disappointed in the way he played last night. The bloop single to center by Victorino (sp??) would've been caught if he would've laid out. It's almost like after he gunned down the guy at the plate, his day was over.

 

Madden and Manuel are very cool in the dugout. However, they know what they need to do to get their teams going.

The pick off move could have gone either way. I think the umps made a good call by not calling balk. It looked as if Hamel's front leg did not cross his back leg. He also did not open up at all and landed right around the allowed 45 degree angle.

I think I'll survive.

 

 

I would certainly hope so. I would hate to think watching, or not watching a World Series would be fatal to anyone.

Watching it live, I thought he just nailed him. Then, watching the reply, I thought it should've been called a balk. It's definitely a call that could go either way. I did enjoy listening to Madden and the umpire discuss it between innings.

 

As for Upton, I was very disappointed in the way he played last night. The bloop single to center by Victorino (sp??) would've been caught if he would've laid out. It's almost like after he gunned down the guy at the plate, his day was over.

 

Madden and Manuel are very cool in the dugout. However, they know what they need to do to get their teams going.

 

That was an interesting exchange, wasn't it? I'm really glad we got to hear that--it was neat hearing their thought processes out loud.

 

As for Upton, I agree he really didn't seem himself last night. It was definitely not the guy I've been used to watching the last several weeks.

  • Author
So, was that a balk when Hammels picked off Pena???

 

I think so but that is JMO. The call was a close one but I had thought that he made a move towards the plate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.