Mercer Co. vs Hopkinsville

mchammer

Who 'Ya Got, in this Game  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who 'Ya Got, in this Game

I say Mercer if Hoptown has school and they have to ride 4 hrs on Friday...If Hoptown is out of school for a fall break, I'd say Hoptown.

Maybe Hoptown will release the students early that day for the game... Mercer did when they went to Tennessee a few weeks ago. I know that isn't the standard procedure among school districts, but it is here. :lol:

Maybe Hoptown will release the students early that day for the game... Mercer did when they went to Tennessee a few weeks ago. I know that isn't the standard procedure among school districts, but it is here. :lol:

If Mercer only released the players, it violates KHSAA rules to leave school early for a regular season game. See By Law 25, Sec 1. a) which states:

"a) Loss of School Time

No school time may be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, an regular season interscholastic athletic contest."

I guess if the entire school was shut down and all students were released, then it could be argued that there was no school time lost by the players, but I really think the Department of Education would frown on school being shut down entirely just so the team could leave early to participate in a football game. If, and I emphasized if, only the players were released early, Mercer County would be wise to quickly self-report the violation of the By Law to the KHSAA.

Mmm, first I've heard of that. I'm sure there are lots of schools guilty if that is in fact the rule.

Is that something the Board at the District can waive, be deligated down to administrators?

If not, how are teams, like Hopkinsville, supposed to leave at 3:30 central time, make a 5 hour bus trip, and get there by game time? Unless the KHSAA is going to mandate who plays who to limit travel time.

That doesn't make sense and it seems there a lot of other schools and a lot of other sports, clubs, etc., that leave for trips during school hours.

Mmm, first I've heard of that. I'm sure there are lots of schools guilty if that is in fact the rule.

Is that something the Board at the District can waive, be deligated down to administrators?

If not, how are teams, like Hopkinsville, supposed to leave at 3:30 central time, make a 5 hour bus trip, and get there by game time? Unless the KHSAA is going to mandate who plays who to limit travel time.

That doesn't make sense and it seems there a lot of other schools and a lot of other sports, clubs, etc., that leave for trips during school hours.

Play on Saturday. The rule is why Highlands played Hoptown this past Saturdy, not Friday night. Hoptown played at Highlands last year on Saturday because of the rule so I'm sure they are aware of it. And trust me, it's definitely a rule. If you don't trust me, go to the KHSAA website and you can find it. It's By Law 25. And neither the District's school board nor the school's administrators can waive the rule.

Edited by leatherneck

BLUF is that playing on Saturday is not ideal. Friday nights are reserved for high school football, that's when games should be played, or at least every effort should be made to play on Friday night. If it means the kids miss a couple of hours of class so they can play and get back before 3 am.

Maybe Hoptown will release the students early that day for the game... Mercer did when they went to Tennessee a few weeks ago. I know that isn't the standard procedure among school districts, but it is here.

Mercer did not leave early. In fact they had to wait around after school for the buses to return from dropping students off.

If Mercer only released the players, it violates KHSAA rules to leave school early for a regular season game. See By Law 25, Sec 1. a) which states:

"a) Loss of School Time

No school time may be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, an regular season interscholastic athletic contest."

I guess if the entire school was shut down and all students were released, then it could be argued that there was no school time lost by the players, but I really think the Department of Education would frown on school being shut down entirely just so the team could leave early to participate in a football game. If, and I emphasized if, only the players were released early, Mercer County would be wise to quickly self-report the violation of the By Law to the KHSAA.

From my understanding, the entire school (all students) were released early that day, not just the players. I would 'assume' the Mercer administration would know the rules.

Mercer did not leave early. In fact they had to wait around after school for the buses to return from dropping students off.

School was dismissed at 1:30pm that Friday and I think Coach Jaggers made a comment about the team having to wait til 2:30pm that day to leave so some buses would be back from running their routes to take the team to TN. I read an article on amnews.com about the game and Jaggers talking about having to take the yellow buses instead of charter and they got to the game late because they had to wait on the school buses to run their routes.

So yea, Mercer did leave early compared to 'regular' school days.

From my understanding, the entire school (all students) were released early that day, not just the players. I would 'assume' the Mercer administration would know the rules.

I don't have a dog in this hunt. I just wanted to point out that letting players leave early when the rest of the students stay in school violates the rule. Had we not had to play Hoptown this past weekend on Saturday, I might not have been familiar with the rule either (although I think I remember reading about it somewhere in the past).