What do you do before you go to the game?

When my son played, my whole week was consumed by “the game”. Almost to the point of that it teetered on the fringe of obsession. It was, nonetheless, an opportunity to get to watch a young man grow up. So…no regrets and I wouldn’t change a thing about those times.

The week was spent talking about game strategies, film of the next opponent…much of the time about the mental aspects of the wonderful sport of football and how to play the game. Each day of the week had a separate and unique purpose, film study, practice/offense, practice/defense, vice versa, ever changing. Wednesday evening, in particular was spent with much activity in our kitchen with my wife being a very active Momcat. This was a group of moms of players who worked long hours to plan, prepare and deliver the team meal every single Thursday evening. GAME FRIDAY! Quirky superstitious rituals, noticing the clock at work (something I never do), planning secondary routes home in the event a main passageway was blocked by a wreck, never deviating from the route to the stadium…silly things like that. Games were crystal clear because you watched every move and remembered nearly every play…at least from your own vantage point.

Now, it’s a bit different. A lot different but by no means less enjoyable. In some ways, its much more fun to only worry about planning for a “victory” steak after the game, or pizza carryout at home if the outcome did not match your wishes.

I like this post and can relate to many parts of it!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic