Region Golf Tournament

Looks like Kenton Country tricked up The Willows course once again. They make that course unfair sometimes for the regional tournament.

Yup - it was pretty ridiculous. They had the pins on small shelves and on the edge of greens (with lots of slope around). Greens held well but were fast downhill. My son spun two shots off the green after landing 10 yards or so on the green. Lots of 3 and 4 putts.

The wind kicked up later in the day and affected the better players more. Thus, two of the three individual qualifiers came from the early to mid tee times. That's golf (and life)!

Yup - it was pretty ridiculous. They had the pins on small shelves and on the edge of greens (with lots of slope around). Greens held well but were fast downhill. My son spun two shots off the green after landing 10 yards or so on the green. Lots of 3 and 4 putts.

The wind kicked up later in the day and affected the better players more. Thus, two of the three individual qualifiers came from the early to mid tee times. That's golf (and life)!

The host school is in charge of setting up the course. Who was the host up there?

Region was there my Senoior year and it was the same thing. It was cold, windy and a slight rain, pins were cut in ridiculous places. I remember a few holes I was looking around for the clowns mouth to putt through.

The host school is in charge of setting up the course. Who was the host up there?

Holy Cross (Chris Grogan) and Rick Rowland (not sure of his school) were the organizers. Chris mentioned that the course ignored their pin requests. As a result, pin sheets were wrong too. The course could have also raked the bunkers, tough to hit out of crusty sand.

No insult to Chris and Rick - it's a tough job and they didn't get the help they needed from the course. Chris is a great guy.

Holy Cross (Chris Grogan) and Rick Rowland (not sure of his school) were the organizers. Chris mentioned that the course ignored their pin requests. As a result, pin sheets were wrong too. The course could have also raked the bunkers, tough to hit out of crusty sand.

No insult to Chris and Rick - it's a tough job and they didn't get the help they needed from the course. Chris is a great guy.

That's sad. If I were the one of the coaches in that region, I would vote to NEVER go back to that course again.

It was reported in the paper today that Rockcastle Co. would have actually went to the state if the parent from Corbin had not butted in. IMO it should be up to the players to call out misplays on the course, not some parent. I've seen plenty of matches where players did not follow protocol but I would never have put my 2 cents worth in. If the players the kid was playing with didn't know the rules enough to question the play......well enough said.

It was reported in the paper today that Rockcastle Co. would have actually went to the state if the parent from Corbin had not butted in. IMO it should be up to the players to call out misplays on the course, not some parent. I've seen plenty of matches where players did not follow protocol but I would never have put my 2 cents worth in. If the players the kid was playing with didn't know the rules enough to question the play......well enough said.

Nothing surprises me anymore in high school golf, or for that matter, high school sports......:mad:

Why did the better players play last? Usually the better players go ahead out front of all the slower players so they don't get held up? Just wondering why that region would do it with the better players playing last, that would make for a slow day if the slowest players were in the front of everyone else wouldn't it! Just wondering?

Why did the better players play last? Usually the better players go ahead out front of all the slower players so they don't get held up? Just wondering why that region would do it with the better players playing last, that would make for a slow day if the slowest players were in the front of everyone else wouldn't it! Just wondering?

Different regions d it different ways. I really like how Region 12 shotguns their start. This way, there are no waits after play, in case of a playoff or if a team has a fairly long bus ride home.