Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rick Bolus' new rankings

Featured Replies

  • Author
At least one good thing about the camp is that it gives players, who: 1) don't play for Scott County, 2) don't have dad's or fans hyping them up, and 3) don't show up as regular topics on threads, the opportunity to: 1) play in the same venue with some of those that do; 2) get a chance to compare their skill levels with those players whereas they would never get a chance otherwise; and 3) showcase their talents where they may have not had another equal opportunity. Just another point of view.

 

I think the camp is good. Especially for guys who come from small schools and don't get much recognition. I just disagree with Bolus' evaluation of talent as most on here do.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the camp is good. Especially for guys who come from small schools and don't get much recognition. I just disagree with Bolus' evaluation of talent as most on here do.

 

We're on the same page.:cool:

This was just a portion of the list that was in the Herald Leader. The paper just reported the top few names. Some of the names mentioned were in the next grouping. The entire list will be posted over the next week or so. As far as boxscores from this camp they don't exist. If someone states individual statistics they are keeping them themselves. Rick Bolus and I agree on some rankings and disagree on others. I think sometimes he puts too much emphasis on size. It is extremely hard for independent camps to compete with the shoe giants as well as the great AAU events that are out there. Ge-Lawn came out there in 2007 but did not stay. Although he was not listed in the top 6 underclassmen he is highly regarded and in the next group. I personally don't like rankings because I have seen a player look like a worldbeater one night and have a terrible game the next. However I feel that talent will show and over the long haul the true stars will separate themselves from the pack.

  • Author
This was just a portion of the list that was in the Herald Leader. The paper just reported the top few names. Some of the names mentioned were in the next grouping. The entire list will be posted over the next week or so. As far as boxscores from this camp they don't exist. If someone states individual statistics they are keeping them themselves. Rick Bolus and I agree on some rankings and disagree on others. I think sometimes he puts too much emphasis on size. It is extremely hard for independent camps to compete with the shoe giants as well as the great AAU events that are out there. Ge-Lawn came out there in 2007 but did not stay. Although he was not listed in the top 6 underclassmen he is highly regarded and in the next group. I personally don't like rankings because I have seen a player look like a worldbeater one night and have a terrible game the next. However I feel that talent will show and over the long haul the true stars will separate themselves from the pack.

 

Box scores was the wrong term I meant rosters and game reports. I did not see any evidence of him competing at all.

The only difference between a Bolus ranking and anyone else on this board, is Bolus tries to sell his rankings. I have never met a college coach that bought one though, so I think the main purpose of his rankings as some other posters alluded to is too sell you a spot in his camp.

Anyone that gets around the state much can shoot a lot of holes in Bolus's ranking, but bottom line, his opinion is as good as anyone else's, but certainly not better. I don't think Bolus himself really watches these kids play, he just gathers information and then "spins" it anyway he wants.

Take it for what its worth, just a conversation starter

 

:thumb:

Log Mountain Boy -- I believe you are correct, if I remember correctly he did not return Monday morning and the game schedule starts on Monday.

Two Taylor County players in the Top 12 and three Elliott County players in the second 12. He must think Taylor County is going to win the state next year also. First they got to win a region title. Actually surprised he even had any Elliott players in his Top 50. Probably thinks Elliott County is right next to the Mississippi River and is a submerged little underground county. I could write a book here but instead I'll just grit my teeth and go on.

 

I am not a Holmes fan, but if I was then upset is the word also. Nobody even on his radar scope.

 

Actually I don't even know who Bolus is and after his rankings don't care to know anymore about him. I am getting to the point now of lets quit talking and just lace them up and play and let the chips fall where they may.

It is what it is. You can't take a ranking onto the court with you nor does it automatically set you up to outperform others. Its fun watching a player bury some of those old rankings and "earning" his spot though. The work is never over.

Well I think you got to give Bolus credit for even having a like this. Does anybody even attempt this? Actually I quess the Leader-Hearld and the Courier-Journal may, I know they have preseason rankings on teams and players, but dont remember how deep they go or if they even go outside their city much? But even so the two papers will have disagreement with each other and many on here wont agree with theirs ethier.

Everybody's a recruiting service now. Almost every game is recorded by someone and posted online immediately. You can see hundreds of players from the comfort of your own home now. And make your own "recruiting service".

 

The coaches do this too, and they primarily go to the mega-camp events.

 

The recruiting game has changed a lot the last 20-30 years.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.