Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Eligibility question

Featured Replies

Does anybody know what the KHSAA rule is for an 8th grader who will be a freshman who played on a varsity team last year but is considering changing schools for high school? I was told KHSAA passed a rule that if an 8th grader played a varsity sport then they are ineligible if they switch schools for high school and will have to sit out a year. I was told by someone else that this is true, but it doesn't go into effect until this year and 8th graders who played varsity sports in the 07-08 season are exempt.

 

If this is true (or not) where would I find this rule on the KHSAA web page?

  • Replies 37
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current KHSAA rules regarding eligibility and transfers do not apply to grade school students. In the instance that you are describing, the student is not "changing" schools because they have not yet been a high school student at any school, and would be eligible as a freshman.

Does anybody know what the KHSAA rule is for an 8th grader who will be a freshman who played on a varsity team last year but is considering changing schools for high school? I was told KHSAA passed a rule that if an 8th grader played a varsity sport then they are ineligible if they switch schools for high school and will have to sit out a year. I was told by someone else that this is true, but it doesn't go into effect until this year and 8th graders who played varsity sports in the 07-08 season are exempt.

 

If this is true (or not) where would I find this rule on the KHSAA web page?

 

I could be wrong, but I thought to be eligible, there must be a legitimate change of address into the new school's district. If they do not change residences, then they will not be eligible for the upcoming season at the new school.

Does anybody know what the KHSAA rule is for an 8th grader who will be a freshman who played on a varsity team last year but is considering changing schools for high school? I was told KHSAA passed a rule that if an 8th grader played a varsity sport then they are ineligible if they switch schools for high school and will have to sit out a year. I was told by someone else that this is true, but it doesn't go into effect until this year and 8th graders who played varsity sports in the 07-08 season are exempt.

 

If this is true (or not) where would I find this rule on the KHSAA web page?

 

Your child will be eligible, the school does not even have to fill out transfer papers on an 8th graders transferring into a high school, doesn't matter where they have played varsity sports or not. The new by-law change is still being debated and may never go into effect, trust me, I checked with an AD that I always check with on rules questions!

Best thing to do, is contact the KHSAA for verification. Ask the question now, rather than find out to late.

  • Author
Here is ByLaw6.

 

KHSAA ByLaw6

 

That's what I was looking for, Thanks!!!!!

 

It is a public/private school issue so residence wouldn't be an issue. I was told by someone if a player went to "Pickle County MS" and played for "Pickle County HS" on the varsity team and went to another high school they would be ineligible. I didn't think this was correct, but I couldn't find the info on the KHSAA website.

 

Thanks again.

That's what I was looking for, Thanks!!!!!

 

It is a public/private school issue so residence wouldn't be an issue. I was told by someone if a player went to "Pickle County MS" and played for "Pickle County HS" on the varsity team and went to another high school they would be ineligible. I didn't think this was correct, but I couldn't find the info on the KHSAA website.

 

Thanks again.

You're welcome, but just in case contact the KHSAA and they will give you the precise method, is any.
That's what I was looking for, Thanks!!!!!

 

It is a public/private school issue so residence wouldn't be an issue. .

 

The KHSAA does not care what type of schools are involved. The rules are the same regardless.

Boy I'm glad this is not an issue, Verity Middle school couldn't have a team.

Didnt verity have like 30 kids tryout? I know my daughter goes there but I honestly do not know.

Didnt verity have like 30 kids tryout? I know my daughter goes there but I honestly do not know.

 

Is for 7th & 8th grades?

Verity had a 7th grade team last year that just lost 1 game. They won the ovc big school division. At tryouts the 7th grade had 21 girls showup they kept 12. If you do the math we could still have a team without the 3 girls who left Rose Hill to come to verity. We had over 40 girls go out for the 2 teams last spring pretty good numbers.

Bylaw 6 is the key and the eligibility is fine this coming season. Your original question referred to the on-going debate over whether to amend Bylaw 6 to include 8th graders that "transfer" from one system to another - all tied to the public private debate and the objections to private schools getting 9th graders that played varsity for public schools in the 8th grade or younger. I'm not sure whether that amendment has passed at one level and is awaiting Board of Educ. approval, or whether the amendment lost/was delayed at the KHSAA or Board of Control levels.

Verity had a 7th grade team last year that just lost 1 game. They won the ovc big school division. At tryouts the 7th grade had 21 girls showup they kept 12. If you do the math we could still have a team without the 3 girls who left Rose Hill to come to verity. We had over 40 girls go out for the 2 teams last spring pretty good numbers.

 

 

Is this the duct tape bandit?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.