Is Kentucky the best kept secret for Whitetails...

woodsrider

You always here about Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Illinios, Canada, and few others when talking about great places to hunt Whitetails. But is Kentucky the best dark horse for producing Boone and Crockett deer? I was looking at the new hunting guide and they always list the BC entry's taken the previous years. Last year there were 26 typical BC deer taken and 12 non typical. Of the typical's, 12 scored over 170.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the list of Typical's taken...

SCORE

Hunter County Method

180 4/8 Tom Oaks Breathitt Bow

178 4/8 Jonathan R. Armstrong Henderson Gun

177 4/8 Kevin Cottrell Hart Gun

176 3/8 Brandon Hall Estill Gun

175 6/8 Wayne Batts Ballard Muzzleloader

173 3/8 Rick McGlothen Jessamine Bow

172 5/8 Rickey L. Campbell Pulaski Gun

172 2/8 Brandon Sullivan Oldham Gun

172 1/8 Wade Meredith Hart Gun

171 1/8 Stanley Huckaby Oldham Gun

170 5/8 Danny Preston, Jr. Jessamine Bow

170 3/8 Craig Payne Meade Gun

169 5/8 Christian Bennett Union Gun

168 1/8 Scott Pautler Union Gun

168 0/8 Andy Miller Casey Gun

167 4/8 Brian Walker Meade Gun

167 2/8 Jim Wolf Henderson Gun

167 1/8 Larry D. Carter Rockcastle Bow

166 2/8 Adam S. Gootee Marion Gun

165 4/8 John Stull Hardin Gun

164 3/8 Michael Noe Garrard Gun

163 4/8 Jeff Morton Henderson Gun

162 0/8 Mike Gowen Edmonson Gun

161 4/8 Terry A. Shelton McCreary Gun

160 6/8 Derrick Markham Logan Gun

160 1/8* Michael Skipworth Todd Bow

The ones with an * next to the score were still in velvet

Here are the Non-Typical's...

SCORE Hunter County Method

218 2/8 Ervin Vance Owen Gun

214 7/8 John Morgan Leslie Gun

210 7/8 Mason Hancock Union Gun

206 1/8 Shawn Fuson Harlan Gun

205 6/8* Hurley Ray Combs, Jr. Casey Bow

204 4/8* David Pharis Ohio Found

203 1/8 Steve Borne Pendleton Gun

201 1/8 Dennis Sharp Bracken Bow

200 1/8 Seth Lainhart Estill Found

197 2/8 Michael Snyder Christian Gun

192 5/8 Dwight Marvel Webster Gun

186 7/8 Ben Groves Ohio Gun

You always here about Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Illinios, Canada, and few others when talking about great places to hunt Whitetails. But is Kentucky the best dark horse for producing Boone and Crockett deer? I was looking at the new hunting guide and they always list the BC entry's taken the previous years. Last year there were 26 typical BC deer taken and 12 non typical. Of the typical's, 12 scored over 170.

:thumb:Excellent thread, Woodsrider!!!!!

Kentucky is getting a huge reputation from all over the country for producing "Record Bucks". The Outdoor Channel recently aired an episode of

a hunt that took place in Kentucky and the bucks taken were all Pope & Young or B & C class bucks.

IMO proper deer management by the KDFW, hunters & landowners has made a big difference in the quality of Whitetail that we now see in our great state.

Though I am not a "Trophy" hunter, I hope the trend continues.

:thumb:Excellent thread, Woodsrider!!!!!

Kentucky is getting a huge reputation from all over the country for producing "Record Bucks". The Outdoor Channel recently aired an episode of

a hunt that took place in Kentucky and the bucks taken were all Pope & Young or B & C class bucks.

IMO proper deer management by the KDFW, hunters & landowners has made a big difference in the quality of Whitetail that we now see in our great state.

Though I am not a "Trophy" hunter, I hope the trend continues.

Thompson Center leases about 12,000 acres in Union Country just outside of Sturgis. Realtree Outdoors, TC Game Trials, Road Trips, Hunter Specialties, Bass Pro, and a few other show hunts from there every year. You can book hunts down there but it's pretty pricing. A guy a know (dad of a friend) works at Enterprise part time. He takes cars where they need them and picks up people and drops them off. Last year they got a call and needed a car delivered to the airport in Sturgis. It turned out to be for Bill Jordan.

Thompson Center leases about 12,000 acres in Union Country just outside of Sturgis. Realtree Outdoors, TC Game Trials, Road Trips, Hunter Specialties, Bass Pro, and a few other show hunts from there every year. You can book hunts down there but it's pretty pricing. A guy a know (dad of a friend) works at Enterprise part time. He takes cars where they need them and picks up people and drops them off. Last year they got a call and needed a car delivered to the airport in Sturgis. It turned out to be for Bill Jordan.

I have seen those shows on the outdoor channel and wondered exactly where they were at in Kentucky. Thanks for the thread. Kentucky is now becoming a true "Happy Hunting Ground" for trophy deer as well as other game.

I have seen those shows on the outdoor channel and wondered exactly where they were at in Kentucky. Thanks for the thread. Kentucky is now becoming a true "Happy Hunting Ground" for trophy deer as well as other game.

Alcoa use to own the property but I think Kimball owns it now. TC has leased it for several years.

I saw some of those you listed as well.

As for the pick up and delivery, that could become a chance to gain valuable info and hook up with a job in the hunting industry.

Lewis County is also another place where monster bucks like to hang out. Hank Parker has some property leased in the area and it has caused a problem for local hunters. Areas where they once had permission to hunt are now off limits. This is one of the problems I have with the "Trophy Hunting" mentality of some of the big name celebrities. However, I understand it goes with the territory of having a reputation of big Whitetail deer sightings. Bad for local hunters but great for the local economy.

Edited by cvillecat

I saw some of those you listed as well.

As for the pick up and delivery, that could become a chance to gain valuable info and hook up with a job in the hunting industry.

Lewis County is also another place where monster bucks like to hang out. Hank Parker has some property leased in the area and it has caused a problem for local hunters. Areas where they once had permission to hunt are now off limits. This is one of the problems I have with the "Trophy Hunting" mentality of some of the big name celebrities. However, I understand it goes with the territory of having a reputation of big Whitetail deer sightings. Bad for local hunters but great for the local economy.

It can be bad if too much land gets leased up. That is what has happened in Kansas, Iowa, Texas, and Illinios. That is what I fear will happen if Kentucky gets too much exposure through the TC lease. The commercial side of hunting has really boomed in the last 10-15 years. And exactly what you said about hunters losing land they once had permission to hunt has become often too common. One day it will be all put impossible for the small guy to find good land other then over crowded public land.

It can be bad if too much land gets leased up. That is what has happened in Kansas, Iowa, Texas, and Illinios. That is what I fear will happen if Kentucky gets too much exposure through the TC lease. The commercial side of hunting has really boomed in the last 10-15 years. And exactly what you said about hunters losing land they once had permission to hunt has become often too common. One day it will be all put impossible for the small guy to find good land other then over crowded public land.

I agree. It is getting tougher each year to gain access to private land.

As for public hunting areas, they are my favorite place to hunt.

90% of the game I have taken has been from public land. It requires a little more footwork to get away from the "road hunters' but if one is willing to make the effort it is IMO worth the hike. As I get older though, the walk in is becoming more like work.:lol:

The area I hunt is off limits to any type of motorized vehicle ( including 4-wheelers) and has a locked gate. The area is patrolled by the CO's and Park Rangers but with all the job cuts taking place and higher gas prices I think the patrols may not occur as often as they once did.

:thumb::thumb:

I was really surprised not to see Lewis County on either of those lists. I know of at least two 170 class typical bucks that were taken last year, but for whatever reason they must not have submitted them to KFW. Lewis County has become a haven for out of state hunters. It is virtually impossible to find land to hunt unless you lease it. The good ole days of going out and asking a farmer to hunt is over.

Here are the Non-Typical's...

SCORE Hunter County Method

218 2/8 Ervin Vance Owen Gun

214 7/8 John Morgan Leslie Gun

210 7/8 Mason Hancock Union Gun

206 1/8 Shawn Fuson Harlan Gun

205 6/8* Hurley Ray Combs, Jr. Casey Bow

204 4/8* David Pharis Ohio Found

203 1/8 Steve Borne Pendleton Gun

201 1/8 Dennis Sharp Bracken Bow

200 1/8 Seth Lainhart Estill Found

197 2/8 Michael Snyder Christian Gun

192 5/8 Dwight Marvel Webster Gun

186 7/8 Ben Groves Ohio Gun

:ylsuper:

Here is the list of Typical's taken...

SCORE

Hunter County Method

180 4/8 Tom Oaks Breathitt Bow

178 4/8 Jonathan R. Armstrong Henderson Gun

177 4/8 Kevin Cottrell Hart Gun

176 3/8 Brandon Hall Estill Gun

175 6/8 Wayne Batts Ballard Muzzleloader

173 3/8 Rick McGlothen Jessamine Bow

172 5/8 Rickey L. Campbell Pulaski Gun

172 2/8 Brandon Sullivan Oldham Gun

172 1/8 Wade Meredith Hart Gun

171 1/8 Stanley Huckaby Oldham Gun

170 5/8 Danny Preston, Jr. Jessamine Bow

170 3/8 Craig Payne Meade Gun

169 5/8 Christian Bennett Union Gun

168 1/8 Scott Pautler Union Gun

168 0/8 Andy Miller Casey Gun

167 4/8 Brian Walker Meade Gun

167 2/8 Jim Wolf Henderson Gun

167 1/8 Larry D. Carter Rockcastle Bow

166 2/8 Adam S. Gootee Marion Gun

165 4/8 John Stull Hardin Gun

164 3/8 Michael Noe Garrard Gun

163 4/8 Jeff Morton Henderson Gun

162 0/8 Mike Gowen Edmonson Gun

161 4/8 Terry A. Shelton McCreary Gun

160 6/8 Derrick Markham Logan Gun

160 1/8* Michael Skipworth Todd Bow

The ones with an * next to the score were still in velvet

This deer was killed about 100 yards from me. It was close enough that the shot maybe me jump and just about fall out of the tree. It was on the adjacent property that I was hunting and found out about week later how big it was. I was watching probably a 120 inch 8 pointer at about 50 yards that walk off into the woods where the shot came from. I assumed it was the deer I had been watching that was shot. Found out later it was actually this monster.

I was really surprised not to see Lewis County on either of those lists. I know of at least two 170 class typical bucks that were taken last year, but for whatever reason they must not have submitted them to KFW. Lewis County has become a haven for out of state hunters. It is virtually impossible to find land to hunt unless you lease it. The good ole days of going out and asking a farmer to hunt is over.

Maybe after drying and with deductions they didn't make the 160" requirement.

This deer was killed in Henderson last year but didn't make it. It green scored (gross) a 172 7/8.

BUCK_172.jpg