October 19, 200817 yr http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3651996 Source: Jags expect WR Jones to be suspended The Jaguars' Matt Jones was accepted into a drug treatment program this week that could erase a felony cocaine charge against him, but the team still expects the NFL to suspend the wide receiver -- possibly as early as this week -- a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. Jones was arrested and charged with one count of cocaine possession on July 10, when a Fayetteville police officer saw him inside a parked car allegedly cutting up cocaine with a Foot Locker credit card. The charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Jones pleaded not guilty to the charge and had been scheduled to face trial last Friday, but prosecutor John Threet's office reached an agreement with Jones' attorney early last week to send the case to drug court. Jones, a first-round draft pick by the Jaguars in 2005, has been free on bond since his arrest. He played Sunday in the Jaguars' victory over the Denver Broncos, catching seven passes for 69 yards.
October 19, 200817 yr The Jaguars next three games are home against the Browns, at Cincinnati and at Detroit. While nothing is a guarantee in the NFL, I would rather get the suspension over with now.
October 19, 200817 yr I think there are way more than 100 professional atheletes doing recreational drugs. Maybe not cocaine...but I am sure there are tons who smoke pot. I know for a fact that professional athletes in this city are recreational drug users and I cant believe that some of them put themselves out there in the public eye. I can tell you tons of stories from 10 yrs ago with some Reds players. The money is there and so are the drugs. They go hand in hand.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.