Fairview Team Camp

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East Carter, Spring Valley (WVa), Fairview and Bath seem to be the class of the camp in that order. I heard SV nipped East by two so actually those two are pretty even.

West Carter is winning some games.

Lewis, Greenup, Boyd, Raceland, and Russell seem to be competitive in their games so far.

The sleeper of the region may just be the young Royals of Rose Hill.

I would say that those four teams are spot on. The East and SV game was a good game that East lost on a last second shot. I have saw Bath play a couple of games and they look pretty good. Metz is playing with a cast on his left wrist so he is not up to par. East played them yesterday and beat them by 10 but East has a couple of their better players out so it is really hard to get a read on them.

Good overall camps, but its summer basketball, take it for what it is worth. In some ways I believe that some coaches are taking this summer stuff a little too seriously, while others you can tell are just trying to get experience for his team. In my opinion there are some teams that can peak early due to the way there coaches are preparing them, Bath County is a good example. Coach Hicks is not only in mid-season form his team is as well and personally I don't think that can be all that good. It's almost seemed as if the Wildcats had all their offensive sets in and haven't stopped practicing since their loss in the 16th Region Tournament in March. But, his Wildcats will be a for sure contender.

Here is my report of the other teams I saw.

Fairview: Tough bunch with good guard play will be much better this season.

Lewis County: Always gritty Lions have a nice guard in Witten and added size in the middle with a transfer center.

Russell: Devils seem to still be bitten by youth and inexperience, but Kidwell seems to have the Devils playing much harder than last season.

Raceland: Coach Floyd's Ramblers are little down from last season, but Boyles is a scoring threat against anyone. Look for the Rams to struggle early, but play tougher as the year goes along.

Lawrence County: Randy Anderson's bunch in three words PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL. Tough Bulldogs will give some teams in the 15th all they want on the inside, but must find some better guard play.

Rose Hill: Could be a sleeper in the 16th with young Royals looking better in spurts. Michael Terry (Brother of former Lady Royal Laura Terry and current Louisville Lady Card player) could be one of the top underclassman in the state.

Greenup County: Improved over last season, but still lacking fundamentals to go with athletic ability. I am sure this something new coach Tim Fraley is woking on big time. Like Raceland a team that will be much better as the season goes along. Look for young Musketeers Trey Williams and Dustin Lithicum (sp.?) to be stellar players in the 16th Region for years to come.

East Carter: Could be the second best team in the region behind Elliott County, but have the misfortune of playing in the same district as the Lions. Raiders have all the tools to be a contender with top notch guard play and a big post presence in Barnhill in the middle.

Other teams:

Coal Grove, Ohio: What an improvement over last year at this time, Coach Randy Ward has the Hornets playing much better ball. The Hornets didn't have their full squad like many teams, but finished 2-2 in two days with only 6 players who logged significant minutes. As one official I talked to said, "Coal Grove could be a contender in the 16th Region." We'll see as the Hornets play 3-4 16th Region teams this season.

Ripley, Ohio: Gritty tough nosed team, with an absolutely bruising post player, but like many teams lacked steady guard play.

Thats all the teams I've seem so far I missed seeing Ashland, Boyd County and West Carter I believe. Overall a really good field of teams at Fairview. Rex Cooksey and company do a pretty good job keeping things going. Running a large team camp like this is really difficult and I think this is a great time for teams to play and maybe more important for fans to get a taste of things to come.

Good overall camps, but its summer basketball, take it for what it is worth. In some ways I believe that some coaches are taking this summer stuff a little too seriously, while others you can tell are just trying to get experience for his team. In my opinion there are some teams that can peak early due to the way there coaches are preparing them, Bath County is a good example. Coach Hicks is not only in mid-season form his team is as well and personally I don't think that can be all that good. It's almost seemed as if the Wildcats had all their offensive sets in and haven't stopped practicing since their loss in the 16th Region Tournament in March. But, his Wildcats will be a for sure contender.

Here is my report of the other teams I saw.

Fairview: Tough bunch with good guard play will be much better this season.

Lewis County: Always gritty Lions have a nice guard in Witten and added size in the middle with a transfer center.

Russell: Devils seem to still be bitten by youth and inexperience, but Kidwell seems to have the Devils playing much harder than last season.

Raceland: Coach Floyd's Ramblers are little down from last season, but Boyles is a scoring threat against anyone. Look for the Rams to struggle early, but play tougher as the year goes along.

Lawrence County: Randy Anderson's bunch in three words PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL, PHYSICAL. Tough Bulldogs will give some teams in the 15th all they want on the inside, but must find some better guard play.

Rose Hill: Could be a sleeper in the 16th with young Royals looking better in spurts. Michael Terry (Brother of former Lady Royal Laura Terry and current Louisville Lady Card player) could be one of the top underclassman in the state.

Greenup County: Improved over last season, but still lacking fundamentals to go with athletic ability. I am sure this something new coach Tim Fraley is woking on big time. Like Raceland a team that will be much better as the season goes along. Look for young Musketeers Trey Williams and Dustin Lithicum (sp.?) to be stellar players in the 16th Region for years to come.

East Carter: Could be the second best team in the region behind Elliott County, but have the misfortune of playing in the same district as the Lions. Raiders have all the tools to be a contender with top notch guard play and a big post presence in Barnhill in the middle.

Other teams:

Coal Grove, Ohio: What an improvement over last year at this time, Coach Randy Ward has the Hornets playing much better ball. The Hornets didn't have their full squad like many teams, but finished 2-2 in two days with only 6 players who logged significant minutes. As one official I talked to said, "Coal Grove could be a contender in the 16th Region." We'll see as the Hornets play 3-4 16th Region teams this season.

Ripley, Ohio: Gritty tough nosed team, with an absolutely bruising post player, but like many teams lacked steady guard play.

Thats all the teams I've seem so far I missed seeing Ashland, Boyd County and West Carter I believe. Overall a really good field of teams at Fairview. Rex Cooksey and company do a pretty good job keeping things going. Running a large team camp like this is really difficult and I think this is a great time for teams to play and maybe more important for fans to get a taste of things to come.

thanks for the report:thumb::thumb::thumb:

East Carter, Spring Valley (WVa), Fairview and Bath seem to be the class of the camp in that order. I heard SV nipped East by two so actually those two are pretty even.

West Carter is winning some games.

Lewis, Greenup, Boyd, Raceland, and Russell seem to be competitive in their games so far.

The sleeper of the region may just be the young Royals of Rose Hill.

Ashland beat Bath .:thumb: