"The House You Live In"... Dedicated to Rockmom, NWO, and HB20

Babysitters can be found, it's not impossible. Here is something I can do for anyone in the Greater Cincinnati area that needs a job:

When I first got divorced, I worked for $5.00 an hour. I had to pay day care, rent, insurance for me and two kids, bus fare (couldn't afford a car), utilities and buy groceries. Even in 1990 I couldn't make it. Daycare was $100 per week...per kid. I worked a 2nd job, and I had the great fortune to have a friend who's mom took pity on me and watched my kids while I worked nights and weekends after working a 7-3 M-F job. My kids were 2 and 3. I wouldn't wish that on anyone in the world. I missed out on so much of my kids earliest years because I had to work like crazy just to pay the bills. I was able to get $50/month in food stamps at $5.00 an hour. But, when I got a raise to $5.25, with my extra money coming in from the 2nd job, I was eliminated from any aid, because I made too much money. Guess how much too much? $20 per month. Yeah...that's right. So, then, yes...I did get handouts. I went to the government food bank in Portland, and I got my government cheese, my canned meat, my ten thousand boxes of cereal and macaroni, and the plethora of powdered eggs and powdered milk. And that's what we lived on.

I shouldn't even be sharing this information, I feel embarrassed. But, sometimes, reality is reality. I've absolutely been there, done that. I never was on full aid, or stayed at home to collect aid. Sometimes, though, in hindsight, I wonder what would have happened if i'd have followed the advice of some very good people, and taken advantage of the programs the government offered, like paying for daycare, subsidized housing and tuition assistance. I didn't for one reason...I was too proud. I didn't want to be one of those people that everyone calls a lazy freeloader looking for a handout. In retrospect, it shouldn't have mattered.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to be educated to work at a lot of places....department stores, restauraunts, etc....It may not be great money, but with hard work there are opportunities for advancement in all industries.

Most of those places require long shifts if you want to make any money. A single mother cannot afford to work too long of shifts.

Babysitters can be found, it's not impossible. Here is something I can do for anyone in the Greater Cincinnati area that needs a job:

Free job training offered

Cost of the training is valued at $3,500, but because of several training grants, the program will be free to those accepted into the program. Applicants will pay about $150 to cover the cost of drug screens, background checks and a work keys test of math and reading comprehension, Ellsworth said.

For more information, those interested should contact Butler Tech at 3603 Hamilton-Middletown Road by calling 513-645-8200.

Finding a baby sitter is a delicate matter. I wouldn't want just any stranger watching my kids. Not to mention the ones worth hiring probably cost a pretty penny.

The fact is , not all people who need our assistance are lazy and sorry. The lazy, sorry, unmotivated, "I want to put pills up by nose instead of buying diapers" people doesn't evoke much sympathy from me. But many of those that need government assistance are neither sorry nor lazy.

When I first got divorced, I worked for $5.00 an hour. I had to pay day care, rent, insurance for me and two kids, bus fare (couldn't afford a car), utilities and buy groceries. Even in 1990 I couldn't make it. Daycare was $100 per week...per kid. I worked a 2nd job, and I had the great fortune to have a friend who's mom took pity on me and watched my kids while I worked nights and weekends after working a 7-3 M-F job. My kids were 2 and 3. I wouldn't wish that on anyone in the world. I missed out on so much of my kids earliest years because I had to work like crazy just to pay the bills. I was able to get $50/month in food stamps at $5.00 an hour. But, when I got a raise to $5.25, with my extra money coming in from the 2nd job, I was eliminated from any aid, because I made too much money. Guess how much too much? $20 per month. Yeah...that's right. So, then, yes...I did get handouts. I went to the government food bank in Portland, and I got my government cheese, my canned meat, my ten thousand boxes of cereal and macaroni, and the plethora of powdered eggs and powdered milk. And that's what we lived on.

I shouldn't even be sharing this information, I feel embarrassed. But, sometimes, reality is reality. I've absolutely been there, done that. I never was on full aid, or stayed at home to collect aid. Sometimes, though, in hindsight, I wonder what would have happened if i'd have followed the advice of some very good people, and taken advantage of the programs the government offered, like paying for daycare, subsidized housing and tuition assistance. I didn't for one reason...I was too proud. I didn't want to be one of those people that everyone calls a lazy freeloader looking for a handout. In retrospect, it shouldn't have mattered.

You should not feel embarrassed! My mother took care of my brother and I in many of the same ways. She and my father divorced when I was very young and she was forced many times to work 2 jobs. I did not realize then how wonderful my mother was because I was so young. Thankfully, my Grandparents own a large farm with an empty house on it, so we had a free place to stay. I'm sure that helped my mom a lot. My mom is amazing for what she has done for me and I'm sure your kids feel the same way about you.

:thumb::thumb:

The fact is , not all people who need our assistance are lazy and sorry. The lazy, sorry, unmotivated, "I want to put pills up by nose instead of buying diapers" people doesn't evoke much sympathy from me. But many of those that need government assistance are neither sorry nor lazy.

:thumb: Yet they are all lumped together by many right wing conservatives who pride themselves on being religious.

You should not feel embarrassed! My mother took care of my brother and I in many of the same ways. She and my father divorced when I was very young and she was forced many times to work 2 jobs. I did not realize then how wonderful my mother was because I was so young. Thankfully, my Grandparents own a large farm with an empty house on it, so we had a free place to stay. I'm sure that helped my mom a lot. My mom is amazing for what she has done for me and I'm sure your kids feel the same way about you.

:thumb::thumb:

:thumb:

Thanks, guys, but it was and is embarrassing. When I was 19, I got pregnant, and I got married. I didn't finish college. I was one of those people who "made a mistake". My marriage lasted a whole 4 1/2 years. During that time, I had my son, who was ill from birth to 2 years, when we finally were able to resolve his medical issues. I couldn't go back to school during that time, and I couldn't work most of the time because he couldn't go to day care. When I got divorced, I had no car, no job, and the place I found to live was way, WAY out. I am one of those people who everyone says don't deserve to have kids, because I couldn't afford them. I have no idea, looking back, how I managed. Well, not completely true. I managed because of some very, very generous friends. I remember some specific instances:

• Coming home from work to find bags of groceries on my back porch.
  • A friend's sister submitting my kids' names to the Sheriff's Department for adoption for Christmas. That may have been the biggest thing....my kids were well taken care of that Christmas, and the Hell's Angels came to my house with food baskets.
  • Another friend coming to my house and finding me with a raging fever and my kids eating marshmallows for lunch because I couldn't stay awake. She took me to the doctor, paid for it, paid for my medicine, took me back to her house, and watched my kids while I slept from the fever for a whole day.
  • Yet another friend (as mentioned above) who's mother watched my kids for free evenings and weekends so I could work.
  • The same friend's dad who is a social worker, who helped me find aid to have my electricity turned back on when I didn't have the money once.
  • My parents who shared what they grew in their garden with me every summer so we'd have vegetables.
  • My brother in law and sister who bought me tires for my car once, when I was finally able to get a car.

So many people to thank.

Thanks, guys, but it was and is embarrassing. When I was 19, I got pregnant, and I got married. I didn't finish college. I was one of those people who "made a mistake". My marriage lasted a whole 4 1/2 years. During that time, I had my son, who was ill from birth to 2 years, when we finally were able to resolve his medical issues. I couldn't go back to school during that time, and I couldn't work most of the time because he couldn't go to day care. When I got divorced, I had no car, no job, and the place I found to live was way, WAY out. I am one of those people who everyone says don't deserve to have kids, because I couldn't afford them. I have no idea, looking back, how I managed. Well, not completely true. I managed because of some very, very generous friends. I remember some specific instances:

• Coming home from work to find bags of groceries on my back porch.
  • A friend's sister submitting my kids' names to the Sheriff's Department for adoption for Christmas. That may have been the biggest thing....my kids were well taken care of that Christmas, and the Hell's Angels came to my house with food baskets.
  • Another friend coming to my house and finding me with a raging fever and my kids eating marshmallows for lunch because I couldn't stay awake. She took me to the doctor, paid for it, paid for my medicine, took me back to her house, and watched my kids while I slept from the fever for a whole day.
  • Yet another friend (as mentioned above) who's mother watched my kids for free evenings and weekends so I could work.
  • The same friend's dad who is a social worker, who helped me find aid to have my electricity turned back on when I didn't have the money once.
  • My parents who shared what they grew in their garden with me every summer so we'd have vegetables.
  • My brother in law and sister who bought me tires for my car once, when I was finally able to get a car.

So many people to thank.

And thank you for sharing that.

Finding a baby sitter is a delicate matter. I wouldn't want just any stranger watching my kids. Not to mention the ones worth hiring probably cost a pretty penny.
Not really, usually you can find someone you trust in your own neighborhood, then there are relatives. Most single parents I know did just fine over the years and got what they considered to be a bargain and these weren't well off women financially.

Not really, usually you can find someone you trust in your own neighborhood, then there are relatives. Most single parents I know did just fine over the years and got what they considered to be a bargain and these weren't well off women financially.

And most single parents you know might account for what...0.000000001% of all single parents in the U.S.?

Have you given thought to the idea that many single parents might not live around family or friends? Maybe they have to live in a city where they know no one in order to make enough money to survive. Maybe they moved with a husband/wife who is now an ex to another city and can not afford to move back. Maybe their neighborhood isn't the best neighborhood. It isn't always guaranteed that you can find someone trustworthy to do that important of a job for you.

:thumb: Yet they are all lumped together by many right wing conservatives who pride themselves on being religious.
Really? Kind of a blanket statement, don't you think? I'd venture to say that most right wing conservatives who pride themselves on being religious do much more to help those in need than do liberals.