Silver Grove 2008/2009

Find another Pelle somewhere in the Grove! They will need big time ball from Austin Sandfoss. They will not have much size at all, even their guys with some height are VERY slim, not much weight to toss around in the lane. Good luck coach Sharp.

Find another Pelle somewhere in the Grove! They will need big time ball from Austin Sandfoss. They will not have much size at all, even their guys with some height are VERY slim, not much weight to toss around in the lane. Good luck coach Sharp.

Sandfoss will have to pick up the load, but are they're any Pelle's left?

• 2 months later...
Improve numbers
I too have heard that the numbers are waaay down in the Silver City.

I hope that is not the case. Silver Grove is one of the programs that I secretly root for to be successful on a year-in/year-out basis.

Good luck to Coach Sharp - Nobody said that it would be easy.

I too have heard that the numbers are waaay down in the Silver City.

I hope that is not the case. Silver Grove is one of the programs that I secretly root for to be successful on a year-in/year-out basis.

Good luck to Coach Sharp - Nobody said that it would be easy.

Did you always feel that way Mustang? I can remember some pretty intense games back in the early 80's.

When you think about the population down there on those 3 streets you have to be amazed that they can even field a team some years. The fact that they are typically a scrappy bunch who usually has a household name like Pelle lighting it up says a lot for the program and community.

I hope they can have a successfull year. I think everyone should really thank STeve Hart for stepping in back in 1996 and changing the program and demanding those kids work hard and expect to win. Baciagalupo did a fantastic job as well and I think Sharp will continue the same principals.

Did you always feel that way Mustang? I can remember some pretty intense games back in the early 80's.
Back in the 80's our two programs were pretty much on even terms, with Silver Grove holding the upper hand during many of those seasons.

My single most bittersweet Brossart win came in the championship game of the 2001 10th Region "A" Tournament when Brossart was coming off of a season where we won the 10th Region Championship and beat Graves County in the Sweet Sixteen in Rupp Arena.

Silver Grove led by Jimmy Horstman, Chad McCarter, and Bryant McCarter came into the game 17-0 and their entire community was in a frenzy over their team, fully expecting to win Number 18 that night over our .500 Mustangs and advance to the "A" State Tournament at EKU in Richmond the following week.

As we have done on numerous occasions since, our guys were up to the task that night, accepted the challenge, took defense to a whole new level and basically blew out the Big Trains that night. While I was certainly happy for Mustangs Jon Lloyd, Nick Ziegler, and Chris Ryan (who may have played the best game of his career that night), I certainly had a soft spot in my heart for Steve Hart, his team, and all of those Silver Grove fans to whom that win would have meant so much, fully knowing that we would probably have other chances, while the Big Trains may never pass that way again.

I was a huge Corey Pelle fan and a closet fan of the 2006-07 Trains who had the misfortune of coming along the same year as our 28 win "A" State Championship Mustangs. That Silver Grove team had the ability to play with anybody for three quarters and caused us much consternation whenever our two teams played. Pelle was certainly one of the single most exciting players that I have enjoyed watching play the game over my thirty-some year career.

I have nothing but admiration for the Silver Grove program, which does seem to be resilient. They might be down right now, but somewhere out there maybe there will be another Hedges, Pelle, Horstman, Sandfoss, or McCarter to keep it interesting in the future.