March 14, 200818 yr I read somewhere where he had a Corey Patterson at bat. He worked the count to 3-1 and then swung for the fences on his last two pitches and struck out :lol: I thought he looked like a mid-June Jacque Jones.:lol: I did read that Crystal had gone to college on a baseball scholarship somewhere so at least he did know what he was doing. I thought it was pretty cool.
March 14, 200818 yr I understand what you're saying, but does that mean Jim Belushi should be able to take a few innings at first for the Cubs, or Nick Lachey for the Reds or Ben Affleck for the Red Sox? Where do you draw the line? Hey, if you want to reward him for his contributions...let him thow out the first pitch, or take BP off of Rivera (like Tiger did off Smoltz). I just hate to see celebrities being able to "buy" their way into places you and I could never get. I get your point, CincySportsFan, but Spring Training games are 95% a goof off time for MLB. It is basically an extended vacation where you loosen up your muslces and joints from the offseason.
March 14, 200818 yr I understand what you're saying, but does that mean Jim Belushi should be able to take a few innings at first for the Cubs, or Nick Lachey for the Reds or Ben Affleck for the Red Sox? Where do you draw the line? Hey, if you want to reward him for his contributions...let him thow out the first pitch, or take BP off of Rivera (like Tiger did off Smoltz). I just hate to see celebrities being able to "buy" their way into places you and I could never get. Im pretty sure Billy Crystal is not the first celebrity to play in a spring training game. This has happened a few times before. I dont see anything wrong with it.
March 14, 200818 yr That's why they are celebrities. Bill Murray I think has appeared in a Cubs game before. Tom Selleck swung with the Tigers in a game a few years back. While I think it would be neat to see the Reds give Bob the local exterminator the chance to take some swings, I have no problem if they want to throw away an at bat on a celebrity. It's not like every team is doing this. Don't forget Garth Brooks with the Padres. :sleep:
March 14, 200818 yr I'd like to see EVERY MLB team do this each Spring Training. Have a raffle/auction of some sort in which the highest bidder gets to practice with the team for a few days and then get one at-bat in a grapefruit game. Use the money to donate to a local a worthwhile local charity. It would make a nice, "feel-good" story for each team - at a time when MLB could use some good publicity - and also do some real good for whatever cause is selected. Not that my bid would end up being anywhere close to the highest, but I would seriously pay $10K for an opportunity to do this. It would be an unforgettable experience.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.