Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fields comment on blog

Featured Replies

Came across this today on Mike Fields' blog, and I found it interesting. I don't want to seem like I'm counting chickens before they hatch, but if a certain 10th region team qualifies tonight, does that change the statement I've bolded below?

 

http://fieldsnotes.wordpress.com/

 

Ten of 16 regional champions were crowned Tuesday night; the other six will be determined on Wednesday night.

 

When the 91st Sweet Sixteen tips off in Rupp Arena on March 19, one thing is for sure: No. 1 Lexington Catholic will be a clear-cut favorite. The Knights were impressive in rolling over No. 2 Bryan Station 79-63 in the 11th Region finals. Jordan Smart hit 8 of 11 threes, and LexCath’s defense was devastating.

I will check back on this thread after tonight. I would say based on the teams that have already qualified for the Sweet 16, Mike has a valid point if your looking at the ratings and percentages. Hopefully I will have a better reason to respond after the 10th region finals tonight. I will not overlook the Montgomery County -Mason County matchup tonight.

Lexington Catholic just steam rolled two of the top teams in the state. Mike saw the perfomance at EKU last night, and he has a very valid point...

I don't think it changes things. Mason lost to Scott County and Bryan Station during the season. LexCath beat both those teams like a drum in the Regional Tournament. They have to be the favorite! Doesn't mean they are going to win it all, but they are the favorite entering the tourney.

If Mason wins tonight I would call them both co-favorites. Head to head they split games in down to the wire action with Mason winning the last one in Memorial. Yes Catholic faired better against BS and Scott County, but I still think you have to look at the two head to head match-ups and say if they played 10 times you would see the same down to the wire games. Lexington Catholic does seem to be playing the best at the end of the year, but I still defer to the two head to head match-ups.

If Mason beats Montgomery, there is no way that Lex Cath would be the clear-cut favorite. Mason County beat them once and had them beat another time. Lex Cath is very good but they would not be the ¨clear-cut¨ favorite. Like Lion Mania said, they would be co-favorites if Mason goes.

I don't think it changes things. Mason lost to Scott County and Bryan Station during the season. LexCath beat both those teams like a drum in the Regional Tournament. They have to be the favorite! Doesn't mean they are going to win it all, but they are the favorite entering the tourney.

 

Mason Co. also beat Bryan Station and Lex Cath as well.

I don't think it changes things. Mason lost to Scott County and Bryan Station during the season. LexCath beat both those teams like a drum in the Regional Tournament. They have to be the favorite! Doesn't mean they are going to win it all, but they are the favorite entering the tourney.

 

Mason County split with Bryan Station in the regular season, as well as Lexington Catholic. They are pretty even, IMO. And if they should meet again, it would be a toss up and a good game.

I am not a Catholic fan in the least but they are just dominating great teams, I would put them as the favorite with 4 legit D1 prospects. Also, I think Mason is playing great ball too, but I still think Catholic is playing better.

If Mason beats Montgomery, there is no way that Lex Cath would be the clear-cut favorite. Mason County beat them once and had them beat another time. Lex Cath is very good but they would not be the ¨clear-cut¨ favorite. Like Lion Mania said, they would be co-favorites if Mason goes.

I will give you the rebuttal to the statement I am about to make. It is difficult to compare scores and common opponents.

 

That being said, I agree with Mike Fields' blog......Lexington Catholic is a clear cut favorite to win the upcoming Sweet Sixteen tournament. They just dismantled a team that beat Mason County at the Fieldhouse just three weeks ago by 11 points. The Lexington Catholic/Bryan Station game was never close!

 

I do not have a dog in this fight. I like to watch both Lexington Catholic and Mason County play. I am rooting for Mason County to win the 10th Region tonight and to make it to the finals at Rupp Arena. I am also rooting for Lexington Catholic to make it to the final game. At that point, I will be rooting for a great ballgame.

 

I think that Lexington Catholic is a clear-cut favorite, as Mike Fields has said, at this point.

If Mason County wins tonight I still believe Catholic is the favorite to win the state tournament... They beat a very good Scott County team pretty bad and beat a team that just beat Mason County by double figures... I think they should be the favorite! But the question is... Does the favorite always win?

 

NO!

To add to strongopeyon's post, Catholic led Station by over 20 several times in the game and it could have gotten way out of hand if not for the dead eye shooting of Martel Morones. Shelvin Mack was invisible in last night's game....

To add to strongopeyon's post, Catholic led Station by over 20 several times in the game and it could have gotten way out of hand if not for the dead eye shooting of Martel Morones. Shelvin Mack was invisible in last night's game....

 

Montel

The main reason I would hesitate to say "clear-cut" favorite is the draw. The top half of the bracket is loaded with the 6th, 7th, 9th, and 11th. If Mason Co. wins the 10th, they would have a much easier path to the finals IMO. With that being said, Lex. Cath. is playing awfully well right now.

  • Author

I can't fault Fields for listing LexCath as "a" favorite, or even "the" favorite. I guess the reason I started this was the hyphenated word "clear-cut." That's where I totally disagree.

 

I can't disagree with the fact that the Knights are playing their best ball at the right time of the year though! Two impressive wins for sure.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.