Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

An e mail for LBBC

Featured Replies

I have zero knowledge of any of the below is accurate, but I got this in an e mail this morning and thought of LBBC:

 

LAUS DEO:A little history lesson you may enjoy.

 

I thought that you and others may like to see this. One detail that is not mentioned, in DC, is that there can never be a building of greater height than the Washington Monument.

 

With all the uproar about removing the ten commandments, etc. This is worth a moment or two of your time. I was not aware of this historical information.

 

On the aluminum cap, atop the Washington Monument in Washington, DC, are displayed two words: Laus Deo. No one can see these words. In fact, most visitors to the monument are totally unaware they are even there and for that matter, probably couldn't care less.

 

Once you know Laus Deo's history, you will want to share this with everyone you know. But these words have been there for many years; they are 555 feet, 5.125 inches high, perched top the monument, facing skyward to the Father of our nation, overlooking the 69 square miles which comprise the District of Columbia, capital son of the United States of America.

 

Laus Deo! Two seemingly insignificant, unnoticed words. Out of sight and, one might think, out of mind, but very meaningfully placed at the highest point over what is the most powerful city in the most successful nation in the world.

 

So, what do those two words, in Latin, composed of just four syllables and only seven letters, possibly mean? Very simply, they say "Praise be to God!"

 

Though construction of this giant obelisk began in 1848, when James Polk was President of the United States, it was not until 1888 that the monument was inaugurated and opened to the public. It took twenty-five years to finally cap the memorial with a tribute to the Father of our nation, Laus Deo. Praise be to God!"

 

>From atop this magnificent granite and marble structure, visitors may take in the beautiful panoramic view of the city with its division into four major segments. From that vantage point, one can also easily see the original plan of the designer, Pierre Charles l'Enfant...a perfect cross imposed upon the landscape, with the White House to the north. The Jefferson Memorial is to the south, the Capitol to the east and the Lincoln Memorial to the west.

 

A cross you ask? Why a cross? What about separation of church and state? Yes, a cross; separation of church and state was not, is not, in the Constitution. So, read on. How interesting and, no doubt, intended to carry a profound meaning for those who bother to notice.

 

Praise be to God! Within the monument itself are 898 steps and 50 landings. As one climbs the steps and pauses at the landings the memorial stones share a message. On the 12th Landing is a prayer offered by the City of Baltimore; on the 20th is a memorial presented by some Chinese Christians; on the 24th a presentation made by Sunday School children from New York and Philadelphia quoting Proverbs 10:7, Luke 18:16 and Proverbs 22:6. Praise be to God!

 

When the cornerstone of the Washington Monument was laid on July 4th, 1848 deposited within it were many items including the Holy Bible presented by the Bible Society. Praise be to God! Such was the discipline, the moral direction, and the spiritual mood given by the founder and first President of our unique democracy .."One Nation, Under God."

 

I am awed by Washington's prayer for America. Have you never read it? Well, now is your unique opportunity, so read on!

 

"Almighty God; We make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy holy protection; that Thou wilt incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government; and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow citizens of the United States at large. And finally that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation. Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

 

Laus Deo!

 

When one stops to observe the inscriptions found in public places all over our nation's capitol, he or she will easily find the signature of God, as it is unmistakably inscribed everywhere you look. You may forget the width and height of "Laus Deo", it's location, or the architects but no one who reads this will be able to forget it's meaning, or these words: "Unless the Lord builds the house it's builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." (Psalm 127: 1)

 

It is hoped you will send this to every child you know; to every sister, brother, father, mother or friend. They will not find offense, because you have given them a lesson in history that they probably never learned in school. With that, be not ashamed, or afraid, but have pity on those who will never see this because someone failed to send it on.

  • Author
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/monument.asp

 

Sounds like the author of your article has taken some presumptive leaps, LN.

 

Thanks Jim. While there are some leaps, you can't really deny that references to God are prevalent on many Federal govt. items and buildings. And don't forget: In God We Trust!

Thanks Jim. While there are some leaps, you can't really deny that references to God are prevalent on many Federal govt. items and buildings. And don't forget: In God We Trust!

 

I think the Supreme Court also has the 10 commandments in the carved etchings around the building.

 

I think you can learn a lot by the actions of people and it sure seems that this country's ancestors felt stronger about the importance of God being a foundation of this country than we want to admit today.

 

Good info LN.

Thanks Jim. While there are some leaps, you can't really deny that references to God are prevalent on many Federal govt. items and buildings. And don't forget: In God We Trust!

 

I agree wholeheartedly, and feel they should be there. However, like the e-mail, some folks like to take things three steps farther than what might have been intended.

Thanks Jim. While there are some leaps, you can't really deny that references to God are prevalent on many Federal govt. items and buildings. And don't forget: In God We Trust!

 

And we have a figure of Confuscious on the Supreme Court Building, does that make us Taoists? Solon the lawgiver of Athens is there as well, does that make us look for Zeus?

 

Mohammad and Hammurabi are on freizes in the chambers. I think it is only natural that words and images of the Judeo-Christian God are present but I don't draw an automatic conclusion that you are maybe hoping for.

 

As for "In God we Trust" that motto was not officially adopted by the US until 1956 and did not appear on currency until the Civil War. The founding Father's did enscribe "E Pluribis Unum" on the Great Seal. Perhaps if they were intending a motto it would have been that one.

  • Author
And we have a figure of Confuscious on the Supreme Court Building, does that make us Taoists? Solon the lawgiver of Athens is there as well, does that make us look for Zeus?

 

Mohammad and Hammurabi are on freizes in the chambers. I think it is only natural that words and images of the Judeo-Christian God are present but I don't draw an automatic conclusion that you are maybe hoping for.

 

As for "In God we Trust" that motto was not officially adopted by the US until 1956 and did not appear on currency until the Civil War. The founding Father's did enscribe "E Pluribis Unum" on the Great Seal. Perhaps if they were intending a motto it would have been that one.

 

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

 

:lol:

 

Yes. I think. See I don't know what part of my post you are questioning.

 

Am I serious about the facts I gave? Yes. Look it up.

 

Am I serious about whether we should be Taoists or Zeus followers? Tongue in cheek.

 

The truth is that the people who founded this country were either practicing or members of Christian organizations and churches. It doesn't mean they were all great Christians who sought to set up some theocratic government but instead chose democracy and attempted to live out their ideals of freedom for everyone.

 

What I was driving at was just because there are religious symbols used in Capitol architecture does not mean that we are called to support only the belief in a Judeo-Christian God.

:lol:

 

Yes. I think. See I don't know what part of my post you are questioning.

 

Am I serious about the facts I gave? Yes. Look it up.

 

Am I serious about whether we should be Taoists or Zeus followers? Tongue in cheek.

 

The truth is that the people who founded this country were either practicing or members of Christian organizations and churches. It doesn't mean they were all great Christians who sought to set up some theocratic government but instead chose democracy and attempted to live out their ideals of freedom for everyone.

 

What I was driving at was just because there are religious symbols used in Capitol architecture does not mean that we are called to support only the belief in a Judeo-Christian God.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

  • Author
:lol:

 

Yes. I think. See I don't know what part of my post you are questioning.

 

Am I serious about the facts I gave? Yes. Look it up.

 

Am I serious about whether we should be Taoists or Zeus followers? Tongue in cheek.

 

The truth is that the people who founded this country were either practicing or members of Christian organizations and churches. It doesn't mean they were all great Christians who sought to set up some theocratic government but instead chose democracy and attempted to live out their ideals of freedom for everyone.

 

What I was driving at was just because there are religious symbols used in Capitol architecture does not mean that we are called to support only the belief in a Judeo-Christian God.

 

 

Agreed. And I don't think that anyone (or any one being realistic) thinks that the state should support the belief in ONLY a J-C God. But I do think that all the J-C symbols involved over the years (but particularly in the early founding years) lends support to the premise that our country had J-C beliefs in mind when it was founded and supports the premise that the separation of church and state doesn't mean the state has to totally ignore the concept of God,; rather just that the state should not impose a specific religion on the country. That's how I interpret it, but LBBC and others may have a differing opinion.

Agreed. And I don't think that anyone (or any one being realistic) thinks that the state should support the belief in ONLY a J-C God. But I do think that all the J-C symbols involved over the years (but particularly in the early founding years) lends support to the premise that our country had J-C beliefs in mind when it was founded and supports the premise that the separation of church and state doesn't mean the state has to totally ignore the concept of God,; rather just that the state should not impose a specific religion on the country. That's how I interpret it, but LBBC and others may have a differing opinion.

 

I would argue that you cannot do what the state is trying to do. Have their cake and eat it too.

 

They have sanctioned a God that is all-encompassing and feeds in to the mentality that all roads lead to heaven.

 

When you allow prayers to open legislative sessions in which you can mention God but you cannot mention Jesus than you in essence are recognizing a type of religion. An all-encompassing God.

 

And that is a very dangerous mindset to the way this Christian reads what Scriptures say.

 

Question for you LN. If God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are a Trinity who are one and the same, how can I recognize the true Christian God and not Jesus?

  • Author
I would argue that you cannot do what the state is trying to do. Have their cake and eat it too.

 

They have sanctioned a God that is all-encompassing and feeds in to the mentality that all roads lead to heaven.

 

When you allow prayers to open legislative sessions in which you can mention God but you cannot mention Jesus than you in essence are recognizing a type of religion. An all-encompassing God.

 

And that is a very dangerous mindset to the way this Christian reads what Scriptures say.

 

Question for you LN. If God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are a Trinity who are one and the same, how can I recognize the true Christian God and not Jesus?

 

 

Heck, I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not the devout religious type. My "religion" is to simply try to treat people the way that I would like to be treated if I were in their shoes. Not much into doctrine or dogma. :thumb:

Agreed. And I don't think that anyone (or any one being realistic) thinks that the state should support the belief in ONLY a J-C God. But I do think that all the J-C symbols involved over the years (but particularly in the early founding years) lends support to the premise that our country had J-C beliefs in mind when it was founded and supports the premise that the separation of church and state doesn't mean the state has to totally ignore the concept of God,; rather just that the state should not impose a specific religion on the country. That's how I interpret it, but LBBC and others may have a differing opinion.

 

Queston, did you know about some of those things I mentioned about the architecture and the National Motto? I just wasn't sure if you understood my point that just because the symbols are there doesn't mean that other symbols didn't exist nor do they signify some sort of union between God and state.

Heck, I don't know the answer to your question. I'm not the devout religious type. My "religion" is to simply try to treat people the way that I would like to be treated if I were in their shoes. Not much into doctrine or dogma. :thumb:

 

I think that can be dangerous, too.

 

Jesus didn't always do that. Especially to "religious" types. When they needed called out, he had no problem calling them out.

 

Would you ever whip a person and drive them out of a church because of how they were acting in church? But Jesus did that.

 

Would you ever call someone dull and "basically" dumb and Satan? But Jesus did that to his own disciples.

 

Jesus said he was the ONLY way. He said that no one comes to the Father without knowing the Son. Would you take such a stance?

 

And yet Jesus also said that if we refuse to acknowledge him here, then he will not acknowledge us to His Father.

 

The Scripture that changed my life is in Revelations. It was indicated that those Christians who are lukewarm, Jesus will spit out of His mouth.

 

I don't want to be spit. I don't want Jesus to spit me out of my mouth.

 

I would be afraid that if I won't take a stance for Jesus on issues in this world I would be lukewarm. And he would spit me out.

 

That would just be gross. ;)

  • Author
I think that can be dangerous, too.

 

Jesus didn't always do that. Especially to "religious" types. When they needed called out, he had no problem calling them out.

 

Would you ever whip a person and drive them out of a church because of how they were acting in church? But Jesus did that.

 

Would you ever call someone dull and "basically" dumb and Satan? But Jesus did that to his own disciples.

 

Jesus said he was the ONLY way. He said that no one comes to the Father without knowing the Son. Would you take such a stance?

 

And yet Jesus also said that if we refuse to acknowledge him here, then he will not acknowledge us to His Father.

 

The Scripture that changed my life is in Revelations. It was indicated that those Christians who are lukewarm, Jesus will spit out of His mouth.

 

I don't want to be spit. I don't want Jesus to spit me out of my mouth.

 

I would be afraid that if I won't take a stance for Jesus on issues in this world I would be lukewarm. And he would spit me out.

 

That would just be gross. ;)

 

Thank you for the advise. Nonetheless, I'll live my life as I see fit and you of course can do the same for yours. You don't judge me and I won't judge you. If on Judgment Day, I don't get admitted, then I'll only have myself to blame.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.