Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best coach in the 10th region

Featured Replies

Sorry to my friends out there but it is Mac Whitaker. Watching his team, they are always so well prepared, strong fundamentally, great shooters, and his team has a wide variety of ways to beat you.

 

There are some excellent other coaches at there, but I think Mac is the best.

  • Replies 49
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not disagreeing with you about coach Whitaker, I'm just wondering why so many of his own fans where second guessing his decisions out loud. I've never seen that with a bad coach and they were up 20 most of the game.

They second guess him because he is strict with there children! He doesn't put up with any crap whatsoever. It is his way or the highway and some players and parents cant handle that. I would say 3/4 of all high school athletes girls or boys could not play for him. Too many coaches are too easy on the players and let them get away with to much. The main reason for this is, parents dont help the coach out when they get them home. They believe everything the kid says and are ready to yell at the coach. Coaches need parents support, especially when times are rough and hard. It is called tough love! At the same time, more coaches need to be stricter and demand players to perform and hold them accountable. Mac does this and look at his success!

Mac may be a good coach, but his attitude is anything far from being good. I also don't think he respects his players anymore.

I didnt get to attend the game last night by my husband did and he said Coach Whitaker handled himself with a lot of class tonight. I have only been keeping up with HC the last few seasons, but his teams are always well disciplined offensive and defensively. Altho he acts foolish sometimes.. he players are learning the game of basketball and learning it right which does not go on at a lot of other schools.

In no certain order but here are the ones I really like:

 

Mac Whitaker- Harrison Co. (Always Prepared)

Terrence Brooks- Paris (Disciplined)

Tony Sosby- Bourbon Co. (Well Prepared)

Janie Robinson- Montgomery Co. (Teacher and Manager of players)

Ray Kues- Silver Grove (Strategist)

Camey Geiman- Bishop Brossart (Motivator)

 

That's my top six and in no certain order, they all have unique challenges in my opinion with their programs.

 

Another I would've put on the list is former St. Patrick Coach- Jerry Ormes

  • Author
In no certain order but here are the ones I really like:

 

Mac Whitaker- Harrison Co. (Always Prepared)

Terrence Brooks- Paris (Disciplined)

Tony Sosby- Bourbon Co. (Well Prepared)

Janie Robinson- Montgomery Co. (Teacher and Manager of players)

Ray Kues- Silver Grove (Strategist)

Camey Geiman- Bishop Brossart (Motivator)

 

That's my top six and in no certain order, they all have unique challenges in my opinion with their programs.

 

Another I would've put on the list is former St. Patrick Coach- Jerry Ormes

 

I would add Ed Cravens of Campbell County and Scott True of GRC to your list. GRC does need to show they can play at that next level come region time for True to make the top 5 list.

 

I don't know Robinson enough to make a good judgement except that Montgomery is playing well.

 

Your list does have two 10th Region HOFers on it.

 

While good, Camey needs to get BB back to the championship game to justify her inclusion with Brooks, Kues, and Whitaker.

Nothing against those two personally but they are just outside of that list that I made up. I base coaches on how well they prepare their team before a game happens or in game decisions that make a big difference. I can't say that I've seen those two do as well with that part of coaching as does the others. Again that's just one persons opinion!

  • Author

If it came down to the regional championship game and I had to pick one coach for the game, hands down it would be Mac to coach my team.

Mac is a great coach, I haven't seen much girls basketball this year but the 10th usually has coaches that understand and can really teach the game.

 

As far as the folks that were yelling at Coach Whitaker. It was obvious that they weren't aware of what he was doing. One guy was complaining because they were tired and he needed to sub. In this situation, I see a coach trying to work on the endurance of his players in a game situation at the right time (because he was up 20).

 

As far as the parents of the girl yelling. She had been in for maybe 20 or 30 seconds and had missed 3 assignments (defense-left open a 3 point shot, offense- out of position in the set, and committed a turnover). She also showed attitude on the court as well as on the bench to the coaching staff.

 

Some people may not like Coach Whitaker, but atleast with him you know what you are going to get. He is not two faced and he will tell you what is on his mind. He teaches the game and sticks to his discipline.

I would have to know what kind of team I had before committing to any one coach. I think Coach Whitaker might intimidate some players and that could be a problem. Some players respond well to that others don't so it would depend on my teams personality as to whom I'd pick but he definitely get top consideration. The team would be prepared for sure.

I didnt get to attend the game last night by my husband did and he said Coach Whitaker handled himself with a lot of class tonight. I have only been keeping up with HC the last few seasons, but his teams are always well disciplined offensive and defensively. Altho he acts foolish sometimes.. he players are learning the game of basketball and learning it right which does not go on at a lot of other schools.

 

Good point!

Mac is a great coach, I haven't seen much girls basketball this year but the 10th usually has coaches that understand and can really teach the game.

 

As far as the folks that were yelling at Coach Whitaker. It was obvious that they weren't aware of what he was doing. One guy was complaining because they were tired and he needed to sub. In this situation, I see a coach trying to work on the endurance of his players in a game situation at the right time (because he was up 20).

 

As far as the parents of the girl yelling. She had been in for maybe 20 or 30 seconds and had missed 3 assignments (defense-left open a 3 point shot, offense- out of position in the set, and committed a turnover). She also showed attitude on the court as well as on the bench to the coaching staff.

 

Some people may not like Coach Whitaker, but atleast with him you know what you are going to get. He is not two faced and he will tell you what is on his mind. He teaches the game and sticks to his discipline.

 

Parents dont get it, do they? About 3/4 of them just dont get it. They think because a player is jerked out or yelled at, the coach doesn't appreciate them, like them, etc. They dont get it!

I definitely feel that Coach True from Clark County belongs on the list, as he always has team prepared with his constant scouting of opponents. Since 2004-05, he is 4-1 against Sosby(Bourbon), 3-0 against Cravens (Campbell), 1-0 against Geiman (Bishop Brossart), 3-3 against Brooks (Paris), but is 0-2 against Whitaker (Harrison).

I would add Ed Cravens of Campbell County and Scott True of GRC to your list. GRC does need to show they can play at that next level come region time for True to make the top 5 list.

 

I don't know Robinson enough to make a good judgement except that Montgomery is playing well.

 

Your list does have two 10th Region HOFers on it.

 

While good, Camey needs to get BB back to the championship game to justify her inclusion with Brooks, Kues, and Whitaker.

 

Couldn't agree more, especially the Camey statement .

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.